Chance to touch History ?

Iteach

Jun 8, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good day All, I'm interested in anyone else that would like to help touch history. Every summer I come down to Fl, and do spearfishing and lobstering, but I always dream of simply diving on and finding, and touching a piece of monumental history. I'm hoping to dive any of the 1715 wrecks that still have visible anchors or cannons. I'm not looking to poach, steal or impose on anyone else's rightful claims. I understand that the Wedge Wreck or the Urca de Lima, still has cannons present, though possibly buried. Any of the other sites have stuff that i could video, touch, and further inspire my love of the adventure and the hunt. I'll be in that area for 2 weeks, July 30 - Aug. 13. Please contact me or PM me if you are interested, capable and wouldn't mind guiding a newb further into the obsession that is diving for treasure. All the best to everyone, HH and Safe dives.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Come on guys?? Surely someone can help this guy have a dabble in our world?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468412934.534142.jpg

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Had to be photoshopped with all the masts and rigging in pristine condition. But it's still a great pic!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's Not photo shopped its out the front by my house......I maintain the rigging....

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good day All, I'm interested in anyone else that would like to help touch history. Every summer I come down to Fl, and do spearfishing and lobstering, but I always dream of simply diving on and finding, and touching a piece of monumental history. I'm hoping to dive any of the 1715 wrecks that still have visible anchors or cannons. I'm not looking to poach, steal or impose on anyone else's rightful claims. I understand that the Wedge Wreck or the Urca de Lima, still has cannons present, though possibly buried. Any of the other sites have stuff that i could video, touch, and further inspire my love of the adventure and the hunt. I'll be in that area for 2 weeks, July 30 - Aug. 13. Please contact me or PM me if you are interested, capable and wouldn't mind guiding a newb further into the obsession that is diving for treasure. All the best to everyone, HH and Safe dives.

C'mon - anyone? With all the guys we have in Florida on this forum? Can anyone help this man's dream come true? I'll pitch in for fuel money to help!

OP
OP
I

Iteach

Jun 8, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Darren and Sadds, I really appreciate the offers, but I'm not looking to hamper any operation, nor am I looking to cost anyone anything. All I'd like to do is help out in an adventure and dive. So many views, yet not one maybe ? Come on folks, each and every one of you had someone "open the door" for you, or spark your desire to get involved. Not to go off on a tangent, but, being from Pittsburgh, I'm an honest, very hard working and respectful gentleman. Maybe it's because I'm a teacher, and some think they are all "wussies". Well, I'm a metal and wood shop and CAD teacher, and I believe I'd be an asset, after a short trial period, to any boat or operation. I'll pay my way and then some. For a new guy trying to get into the shipwreck diving community, it sure is frustrating to hear so many on TN say, I'll take my "spots" to the grave with me. Why ? HOw does that serve anyone in the treasure hunting "cliches". I will say, a couple guys on here, Old Man, Aquanut, Sadds, Darren, have been thoughtful and helpful in getting me info and research. Thank you to those willing to help out, comment, or make suggestions. In a couple more years, I hope to be able to set out on some adventures, and it would be cool to do it with thos that are experienced, knowledgeable and hungry for adventures. I know I am. Okay, rant over, hope I didn't just shoot myself in the foot. I have another. All the best folks, and I look forward to meeting some of you in the years to come. Safe dives

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Shot yourself in the foot? No chance....

If no one sparks, get on a plane next trip and I'll take you all over the southern Bahamas " doing research"

Ps book on the way today!!

Last edited:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iteach, perhaps you could explain a bit more, because to me, your post makes it seem that you are a beginner diver. Being from Pittsburgh, I am not sure what sort of open water diving experience that you may have. Personally, that would make me a bit nervous to buddy up with a new diver, sight unseen.

As an alternate path, I am sure that some of the posters can point you in the direction of a local dive shop charter trip that goes to some of the locations you are interested in.

OP
OP
I

Iteach

Jun 8, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Seeker, I didn't want to post like my resume of diving accomplishments, I was hoping to share that with someone who might give me a chance. Then, I'd share what certifications and experiences I've had over the last 20 years of diving. Yes, I live in the burgh, and i only do 10-20 drops a year when I'm vacationing down there, but I'm far from a beginner. AOW & EaN cert, have all my own gear, comfortable hunting alone in 80-110ft.
I'm an archery sharpshooter up here for one of the local deer management townships. If someone came to me and asked me to turn them on to archery hunting and the outdoors, yes, I'd be a little wary of their skills and safety protocols, but, after a little checkout, I would make sure they had my best spot, in my safest treestand, and i'd do everything in my power and knowledge, to make sure they had fun and got a deer. Yea, getting a deer, versus getting a chance to find treasure is a little different, but my point is, be willing to pass it on. Not your secret spots or whatever, simply the thrill of the adventure and comraderie.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Iteach, I would be glad to have you join my group, however, we do 99% of our stuff on the gulf coast. You might want to touch base with Bill Black over on the treasure coast.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Seeker, I didn't want to post like my resume of diving accomplishments, I was hoping to share that with someone who might give me a chance. Then, I'd share what certifications and experiences I've had over the last 20 years of diving.

Appreciate the details, was just looking at your initial post, which you said newbie, so unless you have aspirations of cabin boy, it is best to pontificate a bit!

As an observation, from experience, there is quite a bit more to see in a concentrated area off the islands.

Take your terrible towel, some 33, and enjoy.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread