Bronze Cannons and Marble Monument Found by Global Marine Near Cape Canaveral!

Jul 18, 2013
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
July Newsletter Final-page-001.jpg July Newsletter Final-page-002.jpg

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey GME!! Wonder what's underneath all of that trivial stuff?? Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Bobby is Jason still with your company?

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a "find"! Will look for some readings about Jean Ribault tonight, thanks and good luck to your team.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful.
The monument is absolutely fascinating.
No expert here, but I recall that according to historical sources, the French in 16th century placed what must have been very similar monuments in the St. John's River area and also in the vicinity of the first French settlement in La Florida near present day Parris Island, SC.
Amazing.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an aside, for many years, folks in the Port Royal Sound area of South Carolina searched for the "Ribault Monument"...it was believed to have been originally placed on Lemon Island---an unimportant sand spit in Port Royal Sound.

Subsequent archival research seems to indicate that the Spanish, upon founding Santa Elena, the first capital of La Florida, built on the ruins of the first French settlement at Charlesfort, present day Parris Island, SC, found the monument and shipped it somewhere. Some say it was sent directly to Spain. Others say it was shipped to Havana.

While the most likely explanation is that early French ships of exploration and colonization carried monuments of this sort as a matter of course, a crazy hypothesis is that the Ribault monument was lost in a shipwreck on its way from Port Royal Sound to Cuba. The monument is described in the literature as simply being a "pillar" with the coat of arms of the King of France inscribed upon it...if those cannon or other artifacts are Spanish...

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There were five stone marble monuments brought over in 1562 with Ribault, three went back to France, one was planted in SC at Port Royal one at River may or there about, in May 1564 Cuba Governor sent Hernando Manrique de Rojas on the Nuestra Señora de la Concepcion to find and destroy the columns and forts, Rojas missed the one in Florida but found the one in SC he threw it to the ground, put it on the ship and went back to Cuba later the Monument/column was taking to Spain. We have the ship it went back on and it did not sink on the way

So the column we have must be from Fort Caroline may river Area Florida as it is the only one left, There was NO columns of the fleet from 1565, none on the manifest at all.

The theory is it was on a merchnat Spanish or english vessel trading in the area on its way to Cuba, Cuba needed Cannon at that time and Fort caroline had just been taking by the Spanish and the column was removed by the Spanish all referenced and all Fact

As an aside, for many years, folks in the Port Royal Sound area of South Carolina searched for the "Ribault Monument"...it was believed to have been originally placed on Lemon Island---an unimportant sand spit in Port Royal Sound.

Subsequent archival research seems to indicate that the Spanish, upon founding Santa Elena, the first capital of La Florida, built on the ruins of the first French settlement at Charlesfort, present day Parris Island, SC, found the monument and shipped it somewhere. Some say it was sent directly to Spain. Others say it was shipped to Havana.

While the most likely explanation is that early French ships of exploration and colonization carried monuments of this sort as a matter of course, a crazy hypothesis is that the Ribault monument was lost in a shipwreck on its way from Port Royal Sound to Cuba. The monument is described in the literature as simply being a "pillar" with the coat of arms of the King of France inscribed upon it...if those cannon or other artifacts are Spanish...

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were five stone marble monuments brought over in 1562 with Ribault, three went back to France, one was planted in SC at Port Royal one at River may or there about, in May 1564 Cuba Governor sent Hernando Manrique de Rojas on the Nuestra Señora de la Concepcion to find and destroy the columns and forts, Rojas missed the one in Florida but found the one in SC he threw it to the ground, put it on the ship and went back to Cuba later the Monument/column was taking to Spain. We have the ship it went back on and it did not sink on the way

So the column we have must be from Fort Caroline may river Area Florida as it is the only one left, There was NO columns of the fleet from 1565, none on the manifest at all.

The theory is it was on a merchnat Spanish or english vessel trading in the area on its way to Cuba, Cuba needed Cannon at that time and Fort caroline had just been taking by the Spanish and the column was removed by the Spanish all referenced and all Fact

Great research and unbelievable historic find.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite a discovery for GME, congratulations.
ZDD

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Another example of the Commercial Salvage community doing the best/dirty work. I'm willing to bet when it breaks in the public eye, that the state archies take credit for the historic research and the find/recovery. Funny, isn't it.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another example of the Commercial Salvage community doing the best/dirty work. I'm willing to bet when it breaks in the public eye, that the state archies take credit for the historic research and the find/recovery. Funny, isn't it.

Hey Aquanut: I am going to do my best to make sure THAT does not happen. These guys have been pouring sweat and money into this for some time. It is not easy money either, as we all know these days. The circumstances are difficult as well. Dirty water, shifting sand, exposure to significant swell, nearby shoaling, and a vitriolic, stream of aspersion from the "cultural left". Hopefully you will be able to read about it in the near future. Even the archaeologists working with GME are getting the usual backbiting (not that they care). There's been some suggestion that a team of academics should be doing this work. Fine, let them spend the money to put some college kids on site, and see if anything gets done. Won't happen. Can't happen. Much too difficult. I could go on about this, but will leave it here.

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Signumops you are correct, in fact if these academics put unqualified students in the water in this environment and something happens to them there will be a strong price to pay, "safety first" and this is no place for unqualified, inexperienced archaeologist that do not have nor know how to use the equipment it takes to do this work correctly, leave it to the professional archaeologist and marine commercial contractors at GME that do this every day and have a tract record.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds, and a major contribution to Florida history!!

Way more of a contribution than anyone up in the "Ivory tower", looking down at all of the unwashed masses...

The two things that they are going to hate the most will be the lack of total control over everything, and the fact that this is yet another example of how all of us "civilians" contribute more to filling in the blanks of Florida history than many of them do. Think of all the information that they have screwed themselves, and the public out of by working against everyone that isn't them.

So I guess this means that I can stop looking for the Ribault monument out with all the "lawn ornaments" at every antique store in Florida and Georgia!

I was totally convinced that I was going to find it out with a bunch of junk that came from some east coast farm auction!

Ribault_monument.jpg

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009

You are absolutely correct. Five years from now, everyone will believe that state supported professional archeologists discovered this. Many Ivory Tower papers will be written under the theory of "Publish or Die". I wouldn't be surprised if Texas A&M takes credit for it (and that hurts to say, since I am an Aggie).

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread