jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does anyone take the time to look for these when diving on old wrecks ?
Seems to me it would be a way to Date some wrecks .

Grand Forks herald. (Grand Forks, N.D.), 04 Nov. 1921.

1.jpg
2.jpg

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/l...ext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

Mast Stepping is the process of raising the boat's mast. It also refers to a ceremonial occasion which occurs when the mast is stepped, towards the end of a ship's construction. The ceremony involves placing or welding one or more coins into the mast step of a ship, and is seen as an important ceremonial occasion in a ship's construction which is thought to bring good luck.Although the coins were originally placed under the main-mast of a ship, they are now generally welded under the radar mast.

The ceremonial practice is believed to originate from ancient Rome. One theory is that, due to the dangers of early sea travel, the coins were placed under the mast so the crew would be able to cross to the afterlife if the ship were sunk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mast_Stepping

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: Well, guess one learns something new everyday. Never heard that, but,
I put the patio umbrella in the rod holder, the old man had a hole in his pocket,
so all his change fell out...... we may be covered, if we sink it, again....... :laughing7:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin or coins were nailed to the bottom of the mast.A friend told me about a mast that washed up at the cape after the 2004 hurricanes an i went looking for it to see if it had a coin nailed to the base of it.By the time i got there the mast had washed back into the ocean.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin is not always nailed to the mast, but often just placed in the hole or depression where the mast base sits. A friend built a boat in 1977 which I did the wiring and fuel systems and engine installation on and although it was an engine driven sportfishing boat it had a mast for a spotting tower and my buddy placed a morgan silver dollar under it to keep with tradition.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Why Are There Coins Under Ship Masts: DRYDOCK UPDATE​

3 weeks ago
Jan 10, 2024

This episode takes a look at the coins found under our mast and the tradition as a whole

lukdiver2

Greenie
Dec 11, 2023
West Coast
The coin is not always nailed to the mast, but often just placed in the hole or depression where the mast base sits. A friend built a boat in 1977 which I did the wiring and fuel systems and engine installation on and although it was an engine driven sportfishing boat it had a mast for a spotting tower and my buddy placed a morgan silver dollar under it to keep with tradition.
We bought a sailboat in 1980 after finding 50 (odd) coins on the SS Lewis (1853) and put a coin under the mast step. It remained there till 1991 when we sold the boat. Not sure about bringing 'good luck' as ran aground at Samana Cay in the Bahamas + various other adventurers but we survived all of them. Sadly boat was headed to a dumpster when I stumbled across her many years later.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread