what part of MANDATORY EVACUATION ..... DO THEY NOT UNDERSTAND ?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I was at a DR appointment -yesterday on Amelia Island , Fl when they said --there is a MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER FOR THE ENTIRE ISLAND * at 6 am tomorrow -A ELDERLY BLACK FEMALE SAID --I'M GOING TO STAY ON THE ISLAND AND IF I NEED HELP --I'LL CALL 911 ... I told her -- you don't get it do you ? -- there will be no fire dept , police dept or public rescue folks on Island .. you are being told to leave because they too are leaving for safety ...if you stay you will be on your own --they are even moving the folks in the local hospital off Island ..if you stay good luck ...your gonna need it...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stupid people ignore the personal responsibility aspect of freedom.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I evacuated from a marina on Hilton Head Island yesterday. It was absolutely amazing how many people were going to stay and ride out the storm on their boats in a freakin' marina. A 5 foot storm surge at high tide will have every dock in the marina floating free and unsecured and the entire yacht basin will be a demolition derby with hurricane force winds thrown in...

These people are not stupid, but most have never actually been through a serious hurricane. I think, more than anything, refusing to evacuate illustrates the strong human tendency to believe what you want to believe...

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is their time to purchase life insurance policy's on these people? Sounds like a great investment!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I evacuated from a marina on Hilton Head Island yesterday. It was absolutely amazing how many people were going to stay and ride out the storm on their boats in a freakin' marina. A 5 foot storm surge at high tide will have every dock in the marina floating free and unsecured and the entire yacht basin will be a demolition derby with hurricane force winds thrown in...

These people are not stupid, but most have never actually been through a serious hurricane. I think, more than anything, refusing to evacuate illustrates the strong human tendency to believe what you want to believe...
With all due respect, I have to disagree with you. Those people ARE stupid! In addition, it is irresponsible of them to put their own lives in such danger in terms of 1) their surviving family and 2) emergency crews that have to come in afterwards and try to rescue them (at best) or retrieve their bodies (at worst).

That said, it is also getting to the point to where government agencies are too quickly calling for mandatory evacuations. They are doing this to cover their butts and avoid lawsuits as, once they declare mandatory evacuations, they can no longer be held responsible for people who stay behind. This should be a measure of last resort, but is used all too frequently nowdays, IMO.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Those who ignore the history of storms and the chaos they can create; and those that believe it's severity will not happen--or 'it won't adversely affect me'--are the statistics we read about after the storm.
Don......

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what happens when your government raised. Everyone does the work for you and all you have to do is collect welfare & Obama phones.....

I was at a DR appointment -yesterday on Amelia Island , Fl when they said --there is a MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER FOR THE ENTIRE ISLAND * at 6 am tomorrow -A ELDERLY BLACK FEMALE SAID --I'M GOING TO STAY ON THE ISLAND AND IF I NEED HELP --I'LL CALL 911 ... I told her -- you don't get it do you ? -- there will be no fire dept , police dept or public rescue folks on Island .. you are being told to leave because they too are leaving for safety ...if you stay you will be on your own --they are even moving the folks in the local hospital off Island ..if you stay good luck ...your gonna need it...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of the Word Mandatory Means You have a choice ?

If it is a "Mandatory Evacuation" Technically that means if you refuse.
They will Pick you up and Forcibly Evacuate you.

Not that I would personally support that in a so Called Free Country.
But if They can put a However it is not really Mandatory in the first place.

Yes I'd be one of the fools who would stay.

I don't get Hurricanes here, but I already made up my Mind.
If a Large Propane Truck
were to crash in front of my house.
or other Haz-Mat occurred.
I would immediately put signs on my Doors.
Went on Vacation. Trespassers Will be Prosecuted.
and sit inside & watch the action :laughing7:
If a Cop or Firemen Breaks in, I'd insist on their arrest.

Trouble with Evacuating. you may never be allowed in again.
Or they may go door to Door Searching all Homes,
Claiming they are looking for Bodies or Dangerous Damage
Before allowing anyone back in town.

Yet the looters will have free reign in the meantime.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The world is severely over populated. If these people want to tempt fate, let them do it.

I will reap the rewards at the estate sale!

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

people never stop amazing me. if i were to evac from somewhere, i would want to be out in FRONT. i may seem like i am scared, but i am really out there clearing the path for the others.... :laughing7:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I got to interview tons of people that didnt evac hurricane katrina as part of a research project. Every one of them said it was the worst decision of their lives. Their stories sounded like going through hell. Not only did they lose everything but they nearly died. They also put others at risk trying to rescue them.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the years, millions of people died because they were in Hurricanes And Blizzards who refused to leave their homes. People on boats during Hurricanes are sure to die. Shame on them.

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I lived in Brownsville, Texas and we had a Cat 4 or 5 coming at us, NO ONE would evac. i was HORRIFIED. glad I stayed bec it turned just like they said it would. :laughing7:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For every hurricane and named storm since 2005 i have been on my Striker 37 sportfish at a marina in sebastian.No other boater in the marina had the guts to stay on their boat so i would be the one calling them to tell them your boat is sinking or breaking loose.It not that big of a deal to survive on a boat if you know how to tie your boat up and your boat is sturdy enough to handle the wind and waves and the occasional beating up against the dock or pilings.Staying in your house might be different as there will be lots of flying objects hitting your house.Storm shutters will help but not if your roof gets blown off.If you are there you get to protect your belongings from getting ripped off by looters.The cops wont be around to protect your stuff so if you arent there then you need some good insurance.I had my boat pulled out of the water a week before hermaine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread