Hurricane Matthew check in thread

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm ok down here.
It sprinkled a couple times today, with sustained winds, 15mph from the northwest.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anyone have ANY info about Cape Canaveral? It's the biggest hit yet zero coverage so far, & we're not allowed to go there (by car) until tomorrow morning.

We have a house on the Banana River facing west - have no idea if it's even still there!

But I'm OK in SE Orlando. Minimal damage to roof & porch.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Rainy in Charlotte... but that's about it.

Charleston SC better hold on to their hats!

I wish all of you the very best.

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well that sucked.

I had it planned, got a hotel room in Savannah for Wed, Thur, Fri night. I had a work project and I figured two uninterrupted boring uninterrupted days in a hotel would give me a good start. Friday I would head west if the storm kept going the way it was, if it petered out, I would do a mini Savannah vacation.

Thursday at noon I got a call, you have to check out, Savannah is on mandatory evacuation. My plan if it hit the fan, was to head west on the interstate from savannah to macon, just not that soon. I looked at the TV as I was a checking out, I-16 was a parking lot, east bound lanes were switched to westbound. The guy at the desk said his wife and kids were evacuating and using Rt 82. I headed south and got on 82 west. It was great, no traffic all the way to I75. Then the fun began, every hotel was full. I went all the way down to I-10. I used my smartphone and nada, everything full. I ended up going almost all the way to Tallahasse and spending the night in a rest area. The radio said there were no rooms all the way into Alabama.

Today I returned, my boat had busted loose of the lift and drifted over to the neighbors. My landlord came down from Va and together with another guy got it ungrounded and tied up next door. He's in the process of trimming my jungle. I'm replacing the engine and the boat is inop. I have a bow and stern thruster so I might try to sidestep it over from next door, there is an oyster reef between us, so we shall see. The power was off and my generator wouldn't start, I check it every year, the foam air filter had turned into a crumbly jelly like mess. I finally got it running. I went out looking for ice before it got dark. When I returned I heard the water pump running (alright, power is back) it never shut off. The landlord had stepped on the pvc pipe in his trimming exuberance. I had to shut the pump off at the circuit breaker, (no hot shower tonight.

It was an interesting 3 days

Tomorrow is a beach MD day

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of Vero beach, Sebastian and Roseland faired well... No damage to my place but lots of yard debris to clean up... I rode it out and it wasn't as dramatic as I expected. I heard that Merrit Island, St.Augustine and Daytona Beach got slammed with lots of surge/flooding... They seem to have had the brunt of it.

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the lid blow off of the plastic trash can that sits on my pool deck ! It flew about two feet away from the can. I've got the insurance guy coming by the house tomorrow around noon. :-) Glad everyone stayed safe !

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It was an interesting 3 days

Sorry to hear that, Denniss. You will laugh about it someday...maybe.

That sounds very familiar. I did the same in 2004 when I had a ton of deadlines I had to meet. Charley took my tree & roof (& power lines) only a year after I moved to Orlando. While still reeling from that, super-slow Frances came & I drove north. I chilled in various hotels because Ivan started chasing me! Then by the time I was on my way back Jeanne was coming through. I turned around & went all the way to Illinois to finish out the season back where I used to live while snowbirding, but I had to stay in a hotel there because my place had plumbing issues (which was why I was in Florida in August/September in the first place!).

This will be no consolation right now probably, but maybe in a few months after things get back to normal here...

I found a way to get over the frustration when I spent 2005 volunteering for tsunami & Katrina relief. Someone's always got it worse.

I hear Haiti could use a hand.

Meanwhile, happy metal detecting!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We're ok in the southern Bahamas, power and Internet back on quickly, let me know if anyone needs a hand north of here....

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad everyone checking in is ok.
Rode it out in Belle Glade, never lost power.
Home in Ft. Laud. just fine, no damage, only problem is,
now I got to put everything back like it was, before the storm! :BangHead:

I packed everything I didn't want to have to dig out of the ruble,
(if the house had of blown apart)! :BangHead:

The Mr told me, his brother said, they pulling gold off Bathtub beach. :dontknow:
I tried to call him for more detail, but he's not there now......:dontknow:

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Prayers answered! Cape Canaveral roads are open & electricity is back on & my mom's house (I consider it mine too!) is battered but standing firm!!!! Lost siding & the sea wall is almost completely gone. But no broken windows or water damage!

Others' houses did not fare as well, so there's still a lot of work to do for neighbors, but everyone is OK.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear everyone is ok. Was hoping to see some great 1715 beach finds but from what everyone has posted it all got sanded in.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I heard that Merrit Island, St.Augustine and Daytona Beach got slammed with lots of surge/flooding... They seem to have had the brunt of it.

Confirming that St Augustine took a hit. Not a total cataclysm ala Hurricane Andrew but if you drive through the north part of Anastasia Island, it still looks like a major disaster area, even a month later. There are still people living in tents.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeah - still rebuilding in my mom's neighborhood in Cape Canaveral too. Just as the snowbirds want to come back, they have to wait till after Thanksgiving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread