Ever give up something you love doing? Like scuba diving- Something to think about!

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been diving since 1972 with over 2,000 hours for shell fishing alone. Then Government and Town regulations put a stop to me years ago. I got into treasure hunting because of cape cods history of ships and loved metal detecting. A couple years back I bought a Hookah set up for inshore diving and hunting. That's where a lot of wrecks seem to end up. Once I was set up. A u-boat job came along. So I sold my hookah and bought top of the line diving gear for this. And then the u-boat job fell thru. These last few years I've tried getting back into diving. But theirs no place I fit in. So if i'm not diving 24/7. Then my gear must go. My diving days will be done. That will be a very sad day for me. A job you have pride in what you built or make. But theirs nothing like diving. Your in a new unspoiled world. It's the unknown,a part of the past, present and full of mystery. It has so much to offer any diver. It's so different than a job. I feel diving can make a sick person feel better. It's that powerful. Some day this could be you giving up something you love doing. So be safe,enjoy what you have while you still have it. Frankie Some older maps of wrecks under pictures[some newer maps with names and so called lost treasure sites.

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
In the last few years I had to give up diving, and flying. Both things I loved to do. Flying, I gave up due to exsessive stupid regulations, cost of keeping an airplane and fuel costs, plus I found, that I was not as sharp mentally at my age, and was making stupid mistakes. So I gave it up. Been diving since 1976, but the last few years, I found my vision was blurry underwater so I could not see my camera screen, and diving hurt my back, as did sleeping on flat beds all over the world. Most beds are simply foam over wood or cement. Hard as hell. I just could not handle the pain any longer, so I gave it up. I still try to propspect but prefer to have someone with me, just in case, as I am no young rooster anymore. Hiking far back in steep country caannot be done any longer, so most of my trips are to places that have been hammered. It is sad getting older. The spirit is willing, but the body weak.

OP
OP
F

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you. Places are mostly hammered, or I've hit them,new summer homes,regulations ,etc. The older we get. The more rules and cost of things go up. But our pay checks stay the same.The fun things in life are so called dangerous to do by others. But if you love it. It's old hat and fun. Wine isn't good unless it aged. So remember that. I Don't like height's,but love flying in small planes. I even did stunt's in a bi plane and loved that feeling. Take care.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great Post Frankie, I hear ya on the loss of a passion. Don't forget if you are ever down this way I'll take you diving anytime,

You can pay me in stories...ha ha.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I dont get it. If you cant do it 24/7 you will give it up? Is diving a passion? A hobby? A job? I don't understand because I LOVE diving. I love it and I own my own (and way too much) diving gear. I live 4+ hours from the nearest diving spots so I can't do it often but I'm certainly not going to throw in the towel. I dive when I can find the time and sometimes make a little time. I wish I lived as close to water as you, so I could do it more often!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I will be diving until they put me in a box.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jason, it takes me 10 minutes to get here......ha ha..

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1477491403.473514.jpg

That's if I drive as slow as Boatlode does.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I associate passion to addiction. I lost my addiction to smoking in 1965, my addiction to diving in 1980 (first Certified in 1960), my addiction to golf in 1990 (seven handicap), my addiction to my kids in 2000 and now I'm addicted to my grandkids--and doing research on TNet.
I have 'attacked' each endeavor with the same level of passion--and that keeps me motivated each day.
I still have my files of lost wrecks and I still enjoy looking at a well manicured golf course and watching the weekly tournaments, but I've moved on with some great memories.
Don...

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad to hear! I had to give up flying (training) because of medical issues and every time I drove by, VGT (daily) I got sad.

Over the last 32 years whenever serious medical issues happened and the Dr. would ask, "So any questions?"
My first question was always, "Can I still scuba dive?" often the look on the Dr's. faces was bewilderment. They would say they don't see why not, but why do you ask? I would tell them it's one of the things I've got left that I love to do and then explain nitrogen loading and a quick reference to Boyle's law and that was mostly before I was shipwreck treasure saving!

I guess when confronted with that choice I'll have to fall back to my simplified first post cert dive. Tank sitting next to a full tub of water with me in the tub sucking down some canned air!!! - true story!! Have gotten certified up "north" in the fall...

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If I ever have to give up diving, I might just as well be in a box. I do it whenever and wherever I can. Sure it hurts sometimes, but others it makes me calm and peaceful without a care in the world. I guess if that time ever comes I will see what life brings.

I just bought a trailer for a battery operated golf cart. I found a float for floating tanks and a long regulator hose. If I have to stop diving, I won't stop without trying anything I can to make it easier for me.

I think if there is a will there is a way. Hopefully that will be the case.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jason, if you were as old as me they wouldn't let you in.....

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I also dove for many years . I had to give it up in 2000, due to medical problems & I miss it so much. I have since taken on new activities, & returned to some old hobbies, but I loved diving the most.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a time when most thought I would die if I breathed non compressed air I dove so much.
Now...
my gear has dust on it.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I apologize to all for my previous insensitive post in this thread (i.e. "I will be diving until they put me in a box"). I should have added "The good Lord willing". I am blessed to be physically able to dive. I realize I could have been one of those who had to stop for medical reasons, and I am truly thankful. For me, diving is total peace. I am never so relaxed as when I leave the surface and descend into the "silent world", to steal a phrase from Cousteau.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me it was Tesla coiling due to my father's pacemaker.

I snorkel/freedive more than I use scuba now. But haven't dove since getting blastomycosis last summer, and this summer was just too busy.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
I guess you can think you give up something. Maybe it's just time for the next thing to come along to get involved in. Or that passion, like an evil mistress, bides her time to come back and draw you back in. Just because you can't physically do it doesn't mean you have to give it up.

Way back when, I raced, everything from go karts, to motorcycles, to drag cars. I was darn good at it and loved and lived for every minute of it.

July 1977, I totalled my street car, half a mile after leaving my house. I kinda totalled myself too, spent the next two years somewhat recovering and learning to walk again. I lost my passion for racing, sold the cars and bikes. Never had any real interest in them after that. Oh sure I'd help someone if they needed mechanical help, or fix one of the kids bikes, but I lost my love. I moved on, but that evil mistress didn't.

Fast forward 38 years. My middle son tells me he wants to go road racing, and asks if will I help him. Honestly, if he wasn't my son I probably would have said no. And even though he was, I really didn't want to get involved. I kept telling myself that he has no idea what it's going to take to do this, and how much time it will take, and I can't really physically do it. Well somewhere along the line the mistress showed up with her passion, and latched on like never before.

In one year we built a car that set a track record, first time out at the local track, and it was still on street tires. Went to Road Atlanta in August, finished first in group, and 3rd in class. Not to shabby for a pair of yahoos in a borrowed truck and rented trailer, with a home built car, going against some factory sponsored race teams.

I honestly had more fun and enjoyment in I guess me getting back my passion, but maybe even more so seeing it given to someone else.

So like said, share your passion, and you won't ever loose it, it will just grow.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is all about mental control. Its is over when you think it is over.

Diving for abs in Korea, was shamed by the locals, who were from 55 to 82, and all women.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread