Help with Artifact off 19 Century Sunken Steamer

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello. I found this on a sunken 19th century steamer. I posted it on What Is It thread and it was identified as a Beam Clamp. My questions to you guys are: Were beam clamps used on 19 century steamships? Have any of you seen anything similar to this from other shipwrecks? I'm trying to rule out a cat fisherman's trot line weight. It has the look like other artifacts coming off the wreck but just wanted to ask here. Thanks.

Attachments

• hunk1.jpg
    hunk1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 90
  • hunk2.jpg
    hunk2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 91
  • hunk3.jpg
    hunk3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
C

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, thanks for the response. I have not weighed it on precise scales, but it is every bit of 13 or 14 pounds. I've set my share of trot lines before and I agree it would be too heavy for that, but I'm just trying to rule out other possibilities. I guess one question is when were beam clamps invented? For all I know the Romans used them. Then again, for all I know, beam clamps were invented in 1920! I've Googled them, but can't determine the historical aspects of beam clamps.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say they are correct, it does look like a beam clamp.

When invented, well, when steel ships were around, mid 1800's
62231_hr4c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. I'm going to consider it as a possible part of the ship. When I eventually make a display of all the items, I'll just leave this object's identification open-ended so posterity won't think me too stupid!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread