Lease me your Magnetometer?

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
This appeal is probably in vain but I got to give it a try.

I'm hoping that someone out there has a towable mag sitting in their garage and doesn't have any plans on using it for the next month or so. This may be far-fetched, but I would be able to offer $100 per month to lease a functional towable mag with ability to interface with GPS. I would probably only need to lease it for 3-4 months and can offer whatever contract or secured collateral needed to make this happen.

Yes I know that in some parts of the country they rent for as much as $300/day but I'm hoping that there's an individual out there that would like to get some better return on their mag investment than letting it sit in the garage.

As some of you know, there are several things I'm looking for in my area but none of them are known to be treasure vessels. I'm more into the historical aspect but the simple fact remains that most of the ones I seek are covered with a dusting of sand and mud.

Thanks in advance,

Pcola

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Check with Roy Volker in St. Charles Missouri, he had 2 for sale but may do a deal with you if he isnt already out treasure hunting.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
MoTwister said:
Check with Roy Volker in St. Charles Missouri, he had 2 for sale but may do a deal with you if he isnt already out treasure hunting.

SEAHUNTER said:
Check with QuattroSensing. I just bought a proton mag from Al brand new for $900.00

What do I have to lose right? (crosses fingers) ;) Thanks for the information gentlemen. I'm seriously doubting my current cashflow will allow me to fork out the full $900 even though it does make sense in the long run.

SEAHUNTER...I'm not familiar with Quattrosensing...is it their own brand that they manufactuer? Are you happy with the one you got from them? I can't find a link to their website on Google. Tried a few different spellings as well.

Thanks again,

Pcola

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roy Volker isnt in Missouri,hes in sebastian.has his treasure boat parked next to mine.if an when i see him ill ask if he has any mags for sale for you.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
FISHEYE said:
Roy Volker isnt in Missouri,hes in sebastian.has his treasure boat parked next to mine.if an when i see him ill ask if he has any mags for sale for you.

Preferably for lease :-) Thanks Fisheye.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is spelled Quantrosensing.

P

paddy.mick

OK, so I'll be the devil's advocate, don't you need to apply for a permit with the state to do mag survey-and Pensacola is worse depending on location since you've got all that military action, so maybe feds involved?
You have said, FWC is active in your area, just a consideration before you buy FWC a $900 anchor ;).
Paddy

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
A little word of caution here;
You must first find out if you can search the area of interest.
Those that have a MAG do not want it taken by the FWC AND NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT BACK.
I do not think that anyone will lease you a MAG knowing that you may lose it and then WHAT?
Just my opinion.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Would this law apply (see link below) if I were towing a magnetometer for research on a book that depicts the volume of manmade debris that litter the waterways of my area following the last three major hurricanes? I've actually been kicking this book idea around for quite sometime now. I'm not interested in finding any shipwrecks although I admit that I could possibly find some by accident. ;) Secondly, I would never have dive gear on my boat while towing a magnetometer so that there is no misunderstanding with the Marine Patrol.

http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/preservation/compliance/review/Remote_Surveys.pdf

From the way I read it, the use of a fishfinder to find an old shipwreck to fish on would technically be illegal without a permit? What a freakin' crock of stool. ;D

Thanks for the input folks,

Pcola

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
My friend I am not trying to be negative. I have been this route before.
Do you really think that the FWC people give a crap about what you are trying to do and how do you plan to recover a single item without diving in the water or getting a GPS READING and a MAG will not pickup silver-so I understand.
Before going anywhere I suggest that you do some REASERCH and PLANNING before you make your move.
Peg Leg

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
I hope you and I wish you !
Lots of & GOOD LUCK!
But!
Please! 8) Stay away from my "O.O.T. Largest Treasure, Treasure Sites"

(There off the West Coast of Florida!)
As,
I do intent to try for it one day! ;D ;D
Not!
That I would/won't share ! ;)
AS HUGE! as it is!

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
pcolaboy said:
Would this law apply (see link below) if I were towing a magnetometer for research on a book that depicts the volume of manmade debris that litter the waterways of my area following the last three major hurricanes? I've actually been kicking this book idea around for quite sometime now. I'm not interested in finding any shipwrecks although I admit that I could possibly find some by accident. ;) Secondly, I would never have dive gear on my boat while towing a magnetometer so that there is no misunderstanding with the Marine Patrol.

http://dhr.dos.state.fl.us/preservation/compliance/review/Remote_Surveys.pdf

From the way I read it, the use of a fishfinder to find an old shipwreck to fish on would technically be illegal without a permit? What a freakin' crock of stool. ;D

My friend I see no reason why you cannot use a FISH FINDER and they are really cheap. In fact you could use three of them like a Scan Scan Sonar. It would take a little know how to set them up right but you could have 3 screens to look at.
How about putting one one each side of your boat and one in the stern or bow or whereever you wnted them. You will be surprised at what you might see.
Peg Leg

Thanks for the input folks,

Pcola

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I think a little too much is being read into the fishfinder part of the regulations. All it says is that the depth finder would be used and integrated into the data obtained.

Basically they want you to use software like Hypack to integrate all the readings, GPS, Depth, Mag, Sidescan, sub-bottom profiler, etc.

They will not bust you for using an onboard depth finder or even the humminbird 987c.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
DETREASUREHNTR said:
DETREASUREHNTR said:
OK being a novice,what does the tow rig/equipment for readouts typically cost?
Anyone have any advice for me?

I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but I think you mean what does the equipment (ie. magnetometer) typically cost. Mags can range in price greatly, but for a good beginning unit you can expect to pay around $5000 for say the Aquascan AX2000, $10k for the JWFisher Pulse 4 Proton Mag, and $35k+ for a Geometrics Cesium mag.

If you look around for used ones, you can find the proton mags usually for around $1000 to $4000 depending on the unit.

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
RGecy said:
I think a little too much is being read into the fishfinder part of the regulations. All it says is that the depth finder would be used and integrated into the data obtained.
.......They will not bust you for using an onboard depth finder or even the humminbird 987c.

I was really just being sarcastic about the fishfinder. However there is no distinction between what remote sensing device is being used as far as the law goes. This is a good example of the many gray areas that confuse me.

Where is it stated in the law that I cannot tow a magnetometer merely because I want to know what litters the bottom of a state waterway? Is there a required permit to use a magnetometer?

If the state's logic continues on this course then eventually I could in fact be fined just for having my Humminbird side imaging unit because it can most certainly detect the presence of many historic wrecks. Granted that sounds ridiculous but they certainly have enough gray area to fine someone for suspicion on the same grounds as someone using a towed mag. Does that make sense?

The law is just too loose and is subject to convenient interpretation in my opinion.

Pcola

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread