Ninth annual treasure hunters cookout

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
Due to unavoidable circumstances, Jeff and Ellen Priest cancelled their participation as sponsors of this years Cookout. I'm going to see that it still happens, but I will need the participation and help from all you people that have enjoyed coming to these cookouts over the years. You can call me or message me.
Aquanut John

My Brother from another Mother
call me Johnny - it's the same number
Have a plan working

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I spent the entire day yesterday going up to Dell's place. I'll give you a call this (Monday) evening.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Since we never know how many people will attend, there could be limited tables and seating, so, if you want to be assured of a place to sit and put your stuff, I strongly suggest you bring it if you can. Another concern that I have is rain. Does anyone out there have access to a tent that we can set up in case of rain? My source in the past was in Orlando, to far for me to travel now, even if it was still available. Daryl Freeman is arranging to once again get the room closest to the pavilion so the ladies can have easy access to a rest room. If anyone can arrange a donation of a Port-a-potty for the guys, it would be quite a help. The companies that I contacted in the past wanted like $250 each and I think that's outrageous. I should have a list of what's has been arranged and supplied so far by this Saturday. We'll then have a better idea what still needs to be addressed.

Chuck said he'll bring back some of the stuff, like the sign etc. left over from last year.

I went by Wicked Dolphin Rum Distilleries yesterday to see if I could get them to be a possible sponsor. Waiting to hear from the owner. Ray Walker at Kellyco hasn't gotten back to me yet. I need to talk to Chuck again about some of the contacts he made during his tenure over the past two years.

Anything else???

Last edited:

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Just another tidbit. Some have asked how much it costs to put on this event. It always cost me between $1500.00 and $2500.00 to put these events on. My estimate to break even is in the neighborhood of $1500.00. I used to have the money to put these things on by myself or at least, front the money. I can tell you that's no longer the case. Donations, including mine only amount to $690.00 so far. Many of you have elected to absorb some of this cost on your own and believe me, it's appreciated.

However, while we're at it, I want to let you know, "IF" there is any money left over, I will discuss with Taffi Fisher about helping out Dell Winders, donations to her foundation and an account to deposit money in to offset costs for next years event. Right now this sounds a bit ambitious but it is a possibility.

There will also be donation boxes set up to offset costs and another for our old Treasure Hunter in need, Dell Winders. My wife Deb will also have a box for donations of canned and non-perishable food items for Dell.

Aquanut

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another tidbit. Donations, including mine only amount to $690.00 so far. It always cost me between $1500.00 and $2500.00 to put these events on. My estimate to break even is in the neighborhood of $1800.00.

Just to let some of you know...

Aquanut

John is there a paypal address members can use, I will donate.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Pete just informed me he quit giving scuba lessons 2 years ago. Would anybody out there care to take a little time and give an introductory afternoon lesson or two in the pool while the cookout is happening. It may not even be requested, but I thought it might be nice. It may not be much more than showing someone that they can indeed breath underwater.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ya I quit teaching 2 years ago. At the last cookout no one wanted to take an introductory scuba lesson.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pete, bring my big cooler from the boat and fill it with ice!

Imma leave my deathbed and crawl out there in the public, risking life and limb by getting out there in Snowbird Traffic just for you peoples...
I'll go by the fish house that I sell to and ask them about ponying up a few hundred lbs of ice. Tomorrow is when they hand out fish checks..maybe I should do that Monday. :)
I'm going to ask Sonny's BBQ about donating some food as well as Crab-E-Bill's Seafood Market. (although $100 in fish from those guys would feed me, Aquanut, Trembull and maybe a couple of small children that are picky eaters), WalMart, the other retail fish market, Publix and Winn-Dixie...etc, etc.
I'll harass Warrior Pawn, my MD, my bank, Squid Lips restaurant, some authors I know and some businesses for donations in cash or product for the raffles.
I've got a number of people from Facebook who are coming that have never been to a Cookout, so I'll be posting the link to the check-in thread there.
This is going to be quite a thing.
Other SCUBA option...I start younger people out with a reg on a long hose...let them snorkel(sort of) around with that, then hand them a weight belt and let them sit on the bottom with the weight belt across their lap in about 3 or 3 1/2' of water till they are comfortable, then let 'em swim around underwater...then hand them off to someone who teaches.
I have 2 long hose rigs if someone wants to try it, but is skeert. :)

Last edited:

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
giphy.gif

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Deb will be Set Up for This at her booth.

Attachments

• Dell Winders 2.jpg
    Dell Winders 2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions