You can not trust the State of Florida

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Bobby, after reading that article. You really got screwed, not only from the State of Florida but also from Dr. DeBry the archie for sfrx.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel sorry for Bobby and other treasure hunter who got screwed from the State of Florida and other states and the Federal government. Good hunting and good luck.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bobby get in touch with Burt Webber. He was denied a permit on the Cape Romano wreck. Sorry, I don't have any contact info.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The issue here is not denying recovery permits. The state has the right to do so if they choose. The issue is integrity. If the state led GME to believe they would give a recovery permit - knowing they would never do so - but allowed GME to spend millions on data gained from surveying, then benefitted from said data, then that is lying and dishonest. The fact that the state solicited a response from France is alarming, given the fact that GME had already negotiated with the state for mutual benefit.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Bobby get in touch with Burt Webber. He was denied a permit on the Cape Romano wreck. Sorry, I don't have any contact info.
Bobby, I know that attorney Hugh Morgan in Key West represented a company that was denied a salvage permit this year.
Contact him for details, he's in the phone book. I have Burt Webber's contact information if you need it. Either PM me or email me if you want that information.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally attended a "archie fest" type event held in St. Augustine where the fla state archies bragged to the audience of other archies from ga and elsewhere all about how they had went another year without granting any "salvage permits"...and all the archies there clapped their guts out ...I frankly was appalled --( basically they were standing there bragging about breaking the mel fisher court ordered legal agreement that the judge put into place to settle the case )...that the state was to put into place a process whereby "permits" were to be issued to allow for treasure salvage ... in good faith -- they were standing there bragging about blocking the all important "salvage permit" part of the process which of course is a huge violation of what the state legally agreed to do ..plain as day ...its interference with legal salvage operations which the judge expressly prohibited--because he know they would be petty and vindictive because they lost their case ..

The next time you attend an "Archie Fest" in Florida, ask the Archies and the State what happened to the three cases of Brown Bess Rifles minus the one donated to the Florida Museum that were found under the Fort at the Corner of White St. and Atlantic Blvd. in Key West in 1983 or 1984 (can't remember the exact time period). Also, ask them what happened to the other items found under the Fort as well (i.e. barrels of gun powder, flints, bullets and who knows what else). I located a void inside the arched Entrance Way of the Fort but was not allowed to dig there. At the time, I advised the Security Guard who was a friend of mine and who has long since passed, that there is (was) a chamber under the Entrance Way and they needed to investigate. After it taking three months to get approval from the State, they did so and found the items mentioned in an underground storage chamber but which mysteriously disappeared upon their removal. The Fort belongs to the State but was leased by the Key West Botanical Society at the time that I found the void and they made the discovery.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The issue here is not denying recovery permits. The state has the right to do so if they choose. The issue is integrity. If the state led GME to believe they would give a recovery permit - knowing they would never do so - but allowed GME to spend millions on data gained from surveying, then benefitted from said data, then that is lying and dishonest. The fact that the state solicited a response from France is alarming, given the fact that GME had already negotiated with the state for mutual benefit.

Darren you are on the right tract, but it is much worse than that, these is use of a government office for political gain, conspiracy, breach of contract, just to name a few.

GME received and finished 14 permits in 2 years "never done before" never once did we get a complaint, until we find something of value

1percenter

Oct 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great topic. I'm so glad Mel layed down the guild lines for the 1715 wrecks. New lease will be hard to get. Such a shame to leave all that history down there if nobody can go look for it.

OP
OP
B

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow great topic. I'm so glad Mel layed down the guild lines for the 1715 wrecks. New lease will be hard to get. Such a shame to leave all that history down there if nobody can go look for it.

They may give you a Permit to explore and find but you never get a permit to recover as long as Time Parsons and Ken Detzner are in office,

GME spent 3,000,000 plus finding this shipwrecks sitters and now the State does not want to pony up, but rather say its French military in fact claiming its the trinity with NO PROOF to boot, what amateurs, I am not spell so well but I do know when you can id a wreck, and they have not found ( the State of Florida or France) one Item on any of our sites so how can they say its French military

All I can say is Make America Great again and fire these irresponsible jerks in the State of Florida before they do more damage to the Governors office

Robert H Pritchett
Pres GME

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Florida insists it is a French ship. Wishful thinking-Wouldn't it be great to strike a deal with the French for recovery of their artifacts and cut FL completely out of the process.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
This is why pirates exist. The grubberment wants everything for itself on the backs of those who have the guts to go after it!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
This is why pirates exist. The grubberment wants everything for itself on the backs of those who have the guts to go after it!

The government only collects after the archeologists take out their private cut.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If the 1715 wrecks were discovered today, they would almost certainly be claimed by Spain under the SMCA. I would wager a large amount of money the courts would uphold this claim---this despite the fact that not a single 1715 fleet wreck has been definitively identified.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida insists it is a French ship. Wishful thinking-Wouldn't it be great to strike a deal with the French for recovery of their artifacts and cut FL completely out of the process.

Actually, I believe this is entirely possible. I see no reason why France could not contract out any recovery effort to experts such as GME or Odyssey.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I see no reason why France could not contract out any recovery effort to experts such as GME or Odyssey.

Except that Fla wouldn't allow it to happen in their waters without mutual benefit.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Except that Fla wouldn't allow it to happen in their waters without mutual benefit.

I am not a lawyer and am not trying to play "expert", but my understanding of recovery permits under the SMCA is that they are issued by the Department of the Navy. I don't think Florida has any say in the matter, at least not in the legal sense...of course there is the political angle to consider...I.E. does France "owe" Florida something for their "help" in the matter.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the 1715 wrecks were discovered today, they would almost certainly be claimed by Spain under the SMCA. I would wager a large amount of money the courts would uphold this claim---this despite the fact that not a single 1715 fleet wreck has been definitively identified.

Well you know what they say about lawyers.... you can find one somewhere to sue for whatever... (well they say a lot about lawyers, but this applies here!!)

Just like with Odyssey it would probably end up political and not based on the facts ma'am.
The 1715 Fleet ships were privately owned and contracted out to carry cargo for the crown.

Maybe with the drain the swamp message being served we can contact our politicians and express to them in nice ways how this is typical over-regulation that needs to stop. It also defies the language and spirit of the federal law of the Abandoned Shipwrecks Act that conveys acts of cooperation with the private sector to have access and recovery of material.

Many politicians use social media and their Facebook would be a good start for getting attention.
Keep away from violent rants and attacks. Personal beliefs about the issues are ok but keep it civil and on point, get some help with the writing if needed.

If you find your local politician to be a junior office holder take extra time with your ideas, politicians are always looking for platforms!

Senators - The Florida Senate

Florida House of Representatives - Find Your Representative

OP
OP
B

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well you know what they say about lawyers.... you can find one somewhere to sue for whatever... (well they say a lot about lawyers, but this applies here!!)

Just like with Odyssey it would probably end up political and not based on the facts ma'am.
The 1715 Fleet ships were privately owned and contracted out to carry cargo for the crown.

Maybe with the drain the swamp message being served we can contact our politicians and express to them in nice ways how this is typical over-regulation that needs to stop. It also defies the language and spirit of the federal law of the Abandoned Shipwrecks Act that conveys acts of cooperation with the private sector to have access and recovery of material.

Many politicians use social media and their Facebook would be a good start for getting attention.
Keep away from violent rants and attacks. Personal beliefs about the issues are ok but keep it civil and on point, get some help with the writing if needed.

If you find your local politician to be a junior office holder take extra time with your ideas, politicians are always looking for platforms!

Senators - The Florida Senate

Florida House of Representatives - Find Your Representative

Here is the thing, Odyssey from what I understand went after a military ship that was known to have been sunk where it was. And Spain knew location more or less.
GME has discovered 5 shipwreck scatters of unknown origins, we have Identified all iron object and some bronze and other, there is no proof of what this is and there will never be, it is not impossible, GME has a system like no other, "that works" and I can tell you for sure no one can Id these wreck scatters, " unless they lie about it" after 50 years no one really for sure 100 % knows what ships the 1715 fleet are
Am I wrong, can you prove what ships have been found in the 1715 fleet, and if others are found can you prove what they are in tis environment ?

GME has a very good attorney, no a great attorney and he is honest as the day is long, he would not have taken this on if he did not think we had the law on our side and again the burden of proof is on France at this point, AND florida has NO jurisdiction over these site's.

Plus GME has done its research, so we are good.

These sites, scatters, what ever you want call them are not inbedded per the definition of the ASA,

GME has no interest in working with the State of Florida as it just would never work, they would always behind your back be trying to prevent you from recovery, until all RPA archaeologist are removed from the Office's of the State, and in Florida's case the Sec of State also, there will never be a way to work together they just do not have the experience and knowledge of the people whom do this everyday. In some respect just uneducated in field work.

The spelling thing is a joke, i learned a long time ago, just ain't that important in the end, but you would have to understand why and now ain't the time,

I will say again, no one on this Planet has done the amount or reports/books, identification of sites,recording of sites as GME has done in this field in the time frame we have done it "as this is what we do" period. "That was more for France and Florida"
So bring what you got, bring it on.

Robert H Pritchett III
Pres. GME

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread