Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Side scan sonar recommendations for shipwrecks

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    se
    Feb 2016
    Sweden
    22 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hi seekerGH

Thanks for the good schematic representation.
    Yes, a downrigger is a good help to stabilize the fish and bring it to depth.

Mvh
    Rüdiger
    Sorry
    English is not my first language !

http://de.groups.yahoo.com/group/SOB-International/

us
    Oct 2010
    95 times
    Thanks for lots of great information, guys. Sounds like I have some serious reading to do. That's OK, just hoping to have a system up and running by spring.

us
    Feb 2013
    Exeter NH
    Edgetech 4125 side scan sonar and Humminbird 1197 side scan sonar
    12 times
    Shipwrecks
    I wanted to attach another diagram of catenary issues but don't see a way to do that. The link in the menu says only jpg, jpeg, png, gif-mine is a pdf.

My towfish weighs about 50 lbs. and sinks like a stone. I have not had any need for a (depressor) wing or other weighting system yet but they are common depending on what one is trying to do. I am glad I don't need one. However with a home-built system I can readily see why one could be needed because the towfish is just too light, as they are to my knowledge, not heavy enough.

I would really like to see images from home-builts. If anyone is inclined to post some that would be great.

Jan 2016
    523 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I really would not be too confidant with that Edgtech, the large fins on the back will cause it to raise up under tow when the cable brings the nose up. The limited connection points at the top make it even more difficult to set up and fly level with confidence, let alone determine the depth. Edgetech has an option for a wing just because of that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	1393034

The diagram provided was an example, but in reality, it is a very simplistic example, as the combination of lift from towspeed, angle of the attachment varies with depth, simply due to cable weight and cable drag. This usually causes the lift, which is why the wings are so popular.
    In reality, with the factors considered, it is usually a double catenary arc in the cable. That is why the cameras on the downrigger are great, you dont have to guess which way the nose is pointing and have a much better chance of flying the fish level.
    Last edited by seekerGH; Dec 19, 2016 at 05:34 PM.
    the first 5 days after the weekend are the toughest...

us
    The continuing adventures of Ropesfish -

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
    1051 times
    Shipwrecks
    While I hesitate to resurrect an old thread. sometimes it is neccessary for proper context...therefore:
    Does anyone have a copy of this book for sale or know where one might be found at a reasonable cost? If so, let me know.
    Thanks!
    Echoes and Images: The Encyclopedia of Side-scan and Scanning Sonar Operations

Mark W. Atherton
    OysterInk Oublications, 2011 - Acoustic imaging - 1018 page

Bill Black
    Search and Salvage "C-31"
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Subcontractor on the 1715 Plate Fleet
    “You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It all depends on how you view your life.”
    Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Pinellas Park, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
    1270 times
    Shipwrecks
    Bill check into the Starfish sidescan. I have heard nothing but good things about it and it is low cost. You can even find used units for sale on Ebay. It is a true CHIRP (compressed high intensity radar pulse) and you can get it up to 1200 KHz resolution.

StarFish 450F | Tritech | Outstanding Performance in Underwater Technology
    Last edited by Salvor6; Feb 13, 2018 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added details
    doc-d likes this.

us

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    1051 times
    Shipwrecks
    Hey Pete...We bought a Humminbird Solix 15 CHIRP si to see if we can get good images with it rigged on a fish...It's a true CHIRP setup with 455/800kHz/1.2 mHz sweeps. We shall see how it works soon.
    Bill Black
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

“You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It all depends on how you view your life.”

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    106 times
    [QUOTE=ropesfish;5704235]While I hesitate to resurrect an old thread. sometimes it is neccessary for proper context...therefore:
    Does anyone have a copy of this book for sale or know where one might be found at a reasonable cost? If so, let me know.
    Thanks!

Mark W. Atherton

Maybe this is it?

http://echoesandimages.com/wp/wp-con...rontmatter.pdf
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

us

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    1051 times
    Shipwrecks
    That is, indeed, the book. I'm just looking for one that is a little more affordable. (I am not at all adverse to used books.) $189.00 is a pretty big jump on the hope that it is better than Phillipe Blondel's "Handbook of Sidescan Sonar and a couple of others.

[QUOTE=sphillips;5704453]
    Quote Originally Posted by ropesfish View Post
    While I hesitate to resurrect an old thread. sometimes it is neccessary for proper context...therefore:
    Thanks!

Mark W. Atherton

Maybe this is it?

http://echoesandimages.com/wp/wp-con...rontmatter.pdf
    Bill Black
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2008
    S. Hutchinson Island
    106 times
    [QUOTE=ropesfish;5704883]That is, indeed, the book. I'm just looking for one that is a little more affordable. (I am not at all adverse to used books.) $189.00 is a pretty big jump on the hope that it is better than Phillipe Blondel's "Handbook of Sidescan Sonar and a couple of others.

That is pretty speedy, will keep a look out
    ropesfish likes this.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links