Ship wrecked off Florida might have changed history

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Unfortunately for treasure salvors everywhere you are oh so right. I guess ill sign the articles of "the pirates of the martires". after all my handle is black bart.

I am not siding with Spain but they had a location, and it was military, and they know what that ship was fir sure

GME has a completely different situation here and if the Judge does not rule correctly there will be a price to pay

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff this happened before Texas was even a state, before the United States even existed. They didn't need a steenking permit. :BangHead:

they are frenchies, they won't know that

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW how could it be a french ship? it had guns

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oh their ships had guns --but having them and know how to use them are two very different things -- --napoleon had excellent cannon man... (the French 12 lber was the standard of its day) ..but later on not so much

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh their ships had guns --but having them and know how to use them are two very different things -- --napoleon had excellent cannon man... (the French 12 lber was the standard of its day) ..but later on not so much

My ancestors fought with him, in his Imperial Guard. But - they were Germans.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I believe it is in one of John Keegan's books where I read about the difference between British and French maritime artillery.

As I recall (and I could well have this backwards) the English aimed to dismast an opposing vessel so they could take her as a prize and add her to their fleet. The French favored aiming for below the waterline when the opposing warship rolled back after a broadside. They wanted to sink their opponent.

During the many wars between the English and the French, French seamanship suffered because their ships were often bottled up by a blockade. The English ships (and crews) suffered far more wear and tear from constant patrol duty - but their seamanship was superior due to constant practice.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Maybe if it was flying a white flag, Jeff.

And to add to your post on the dock fees to be billed to the country, why not litter clean up fees? Your sunk boat and all the crap in it has been littering our waters, here's the bill for cleaning up the mess.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
----------- France's history of military failure -----------

The military history of France:

WND - A Free Press for a Free People

Gallic Wars – Lost. In a war whose ending foreshadows the next 2,000 years of French history, France is conquered by, of all things, an Italian.

Hundred Years War – Mostly lost, saved at last by a female schizophrenic who inadvertently creates The First Rule of French Warfare: "France's armies are victorious only when not led by a Frenchman."

Italian Wars – Lost. France becomes the first and only country to ever lose two wars when fighting Italians. Wars of Religion – France goes 0-5-4 against the Huguenots

Thirty Years War – France is technically not a participant, but manages to get invaded anyway. Claims a tie on the basis that eventually the other participants started ignoring her.

War of Devolution – Tied. Frenchmen take to wearing red flowerpots as chapeaux.

The Dutch War – Tied.

War of the Augsburg League / King William's War / French and Indian War – Lost, but claimed as a tie. Three ties in a row induces deluded Francophiles the world over to label the period as the height of French military power.

War of the Spanish Succession – Lost. The war also gave the French their first taste of a Marlborough, which they have loved every since.

American Revolution – In a move that will become quite familiar to future Americans, France claims a win even though the English colonists saw far more action. This is later known as "de Gaulle Syndrome," and leads to the Second Rule of French Warfare: "France only wins when America does most of the fighting."

French Revolution – Won, primarily due the fact that the opponent was also French.

The Napoleonic Wars – Lost. Temporary victories (remember the First Rule!) due to leadership of a Corsican, who ended up being no match for a British footwear designer.

The Franco-Prussian War – Lost. Germany first plays the role of drunk frat boy to France's ugly girl home alone on a Saturday night.

World War I – Tied and on the way to losing, France is saved by the United States. Thousands of French women find out what it's like to not only sleep with a winner, but one who doesn't call her "Fraulein." Sadly, widespread use of condoms by American forces forestalls any improvement in the French bloodline.

World War II – Lost. Conquered French liberated by the United States and Britain just as they finish learning the Horst Wessel song.

War in Indochina – Lost. French forces plead sickness, take to bed with the Dien Bien Flu.

Algerian Rebellion – Lost. Loss marks the first defeat of a Western army by a Non-Turkic Muslim force since the Crusades, and produces the First Rule of Muslim Warfare: "We can always beat the French." This rule is identical to the First Rules of the Italians, Russians, Germans, English, Dutch, Spanish, Vietnamese and Esquimaux.

War on Terrorism – France, keeping in mind its recent history, surrenders to Germans and Muslims just to be safe. Attempts to surrender to Vietnamese ambassador fail after he takes refuge in a McDonald's.

The question for any country silly enough to count on the French should not be "Can we count on the French?" but, rather, "How long until France collapses?"

G. Kilber

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
huntsman53: Is your post suggesting the American Colonists would have beaten the British army without the assistance of the French navy?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
huntsman53: Is your post suggesting the American Colonists would have beaten the British army without the assistance of the French navy?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Not at all!! I was just posting their many failures after the subject was brought up by others. By the way, while they helped us win the War of Independence from England, we helped save them in WWI and WWII and bailed them out in Vietnam in which they abandoned us. When we asked them to repay some of the War debt to the U.S. for our help and monetary assistance in rebuilding many of their' cities twice, they responded by kicking our' troops out of France in 1967. The French told our' troops to leave and not come back for anything, so when the broken down trucks loaded with ammo could not be towed, they were pushed into the Seine River. The units I served in during my time in West Germany, were instrumental in liberating France during WWII and this was a kick in the teeth per se! If and when there is another war (which there will likely be) and France is overrun and it's citizens are held captive by the enemy, then should we or should we not leave them to their fate??!! I am sorry that I feel this way but the enormous costs in American and Allied Soldier's lives lost because of the French, has been too much to bear!

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread