Flor de la Mar Treasure Wreck - Up to $2.6 Billion !

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Here's a nice summary of the Flor de la Mar sunken treasure story. Of course it quotes Sir Robert - he's been writing and talking about this one for many years. Somewhere around here I have an old Argosy with his story about it.

Flor de la Mar.jpg

The $2.6 Billion Treasure Still Lost at The Bottom of the Sea

To this day, the wreck of the Flor de la Mar lies in wait, ready for a lucky underwater adventurer to disturb its resting place and strike it rich.

The $2.6 Billion Treasure Still Lost at the Bottom of the Sea - The Daily Beast

Flor de la Mar Map.jpg

Engraved map of the island of Taprobana, which was variously thought to be Ceylon (Sri Lanka) or Sumatra [1541].

Flor de la Mar Map 2.jpg

Les Isles De La Sonde entre lesquelles sont Sumatra, Jave, Borneo, &c. [1652]

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This wreck will never be excavated because Malaysia, Indonesia and Portugal all claim ownership of the treasure.

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Salvor6:

Sounds like a job that requires a dark night and a fast boat...

I posted this because just about the only source I've read is Sir Robert Marx. I do not write that to disparage him. Far from it! I'm just a guy (perhaps it's my training in journalism) who likes more than a single source.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Salvor6:

I posted this because just about the only source I've read is Sir Robert Marx. I do not write that to disparage him. Far from it! I'm just a guy (perhaps it's my training in journalism) who likes more than a single source.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM
Im availble for a dark night. Now i just need a fast boat..or a sub like in the movie black sea

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Salvor6:

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Another good source is "Shipwrecks of South East Asia" by Tony Wells. Tony worked for S.E.A. Salvage and he was there when they searched for the Flor de la Mar. He claims they never did find the exact spot where it sank.

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
That book is first-rate! I purchased a copy from Mr. Wells some years ago.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Another good source is "Shipwrecks of South East Asia" by Tony Wells. Tony worked for S.E.A. Salvage and he was there when they searched for the Flor de la Mar. He claims they never did find the exact spot where it sank.
Just purchased it accually. Awaiting for it to arrive. Another one im looking at Treasure troves of Asia..if anyone has it. Is it worth it

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
marticus:

It's always possible there's more than one book titled "Treasure Troves of Asia." The one I found, however, is a vastly-overpriced collection of articles from Wikipedia.

TT of Asia.jpg

I'd give it a miss.

There are much more interesting first-hand accounts available.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
marticus:

It's always possible there's more than one book titled "Treasure Troves of Asia." The one I found, however, is a vastly-overpriced collection of articles from Wikipedia.

View attachment 1401829

I'd give it a miss.

There are much more interesting first-hand accounts available.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM
Yea thats the one i was talking about. Thanks for the heads up. I thought it looked a bit strange with its cheap cover.
Any other interesting and informative you might recommend for my collectiong

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
marticus:

You are, of course, quite welcome! $200+ for a 24-page book seems a bit pricey to me.

There are a large number of books that are both interesting and informative. What are your particular areas of interest?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
marticus:

You are, of course, quite welcome! $200+ for a 24-page book seems a bit pricey to me.

There are a large number of books that are both interesting and informative. What are your particular areas of interest?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM
Lol ah the list is so great. Primary treasure in the same area south china. Indian ocean..pacific oceans. Somthing not so out of reach of a boy from aus. Parden the pun.
Shipwrecks. Treasure stories. Lost wealth. But also exploration. Piracy. Discovery and adventure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread