Treasure hunter plans to land £1BILLION gold bullion haul

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's definitely not funny, but if any investor believes this load of crock (immense gold at 16 ft with no recovery), he deserves to be fleeced.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shipping Gold TO S America, about $2 Billion worth?!?!? Gold bullion and gold coins to pay soldiers? Some pretty good pay for the day!

Forget that is it a sovereign British warship!

It says the ship was discovered in 2004, yet an explanation as to why it is still there 13 years later? Of course, the Spanish took the time to cover it with rocks, but did not do any recovery of the vessel.

80 divers, yes 80, damn

this should be in the Onion.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shipping Gold TO S America, about $2 Billion worth?!?!? Gold bullion and gold coins to pay soldiers? Some pretty good pay for the day!

Forget that is it a sovereign British warship!

It says the ship was discovered in 2004, yet an explanation as to why it is still there 13 years later? Of course, the Spanish took the time to cover it with rocks, but did not do any recovery of the vessel.

this should be in the Onion.

They covered it with rocks shaped as a big X... as to find it again... you know... in case the UFO's changed the co-ords.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigfoot always uses an X, if I saw it, I would recognize his handwriting...

havent seen the Spanish do that...yet.

Dos Equis?

Last edited:

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ruben Collado recovered part of the cargo of the ship Nuestra Señora de la Luz. With part of money a school was built in Maldonado (Uruguay). How many of us can boast of the same?

silverking

Jun 13, 2010
British Columbia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ruben Collado recovered part of the cargo of the ship Nuestra Señora de la Luz. With part of money a school was built in Maldonado (Uruguay). How many of us can boast of the same?
That's a worthy undertaking ... but still doesn't answer any of the rather obvious questions unfortunately.

The world is full of good people who occasionally exercise dubious morality.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ruben did not build anything... Uruguay did. With their "split" of the coins.

Not a Spanish vessel btw.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ruben did not build anything... Uruguay did. With their "split" of the coins.

Not a Spanish vessel btw.

Yes, but for a venture of Collado was used the money that the state no need to spend.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see...the ship sank with 64 cannon and $1 billion in gold bullion aboard and the Spanish covered it with rocks so that it would not "float to the surface".

The freakin' Titanic has a better chance of floating to the surface.

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Yes, but still to this day he believes has found the "El Preciado" - not only a wreck from the wrong decade(s) but also a ship that never existed.

He MIGHT have a wreck, it might be the "Lord Clive" but, if it is the "Lord Clive", it hasn't a treasure on board.

I know - I have the manifest. Remember, at least on paper, it was a Portuguese-led expedition.

Who in their sound mind would send a treasure to Uruguay, on a fleet that was only supposed to land troops to support the sieged fortress of Sacramento and to attack Buenos Aires?

Ruben's auction.jpg

Last edited:

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
like the old saying goes "a fool is easily parted with his money"

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Maybe I'm just grumpy after 3 other threads like this (& because it's past my bedtime), but why are you posting a "story" that links outside to a terrible web page that is difficult to navigate? THIS is a forum. Discuss it HERE. Post the details HERE.

I wasted so much time looking for the story & avoiding invasive ads I have no idea what it's about.

OP
OP
Alexandre

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Maybe I'm just grumpy after 3 other threads like this (& because it's past my bedtime), but why are you posting a "story" that links outside to a terrible web page that is difficult to navigate? THIS is a forum. Discuss it HERE. Post the details HERE.

I wasted so much time looking for the story & avoiding invasive ads I have no idea what it's about.

Treasure hunter plans to land £1BILLION gold bullion haul by bringing 250-year-old British ship to the surface
Ruben Collado hopes to resurrect Lord Clive, which sunk in 1763 near Uruguay
He believes there is £1billion of gold bullion on board the sunken British ship
He discovered the wreck in 2004 and is leading an operation to raise it
Ship was built in Hull and was sent to South America to bring funds to military
By Anthony Joseph for MailOnline, PUBLISHED: 14:21 GMT, 29 January 2017 | UPDATED: 14:23 GMT, 29 January 2017

Ruben Collado, from Argentina, hopes to resurrect the Lord Clive, which sunk in 1763 off the coast of Uruguay.

He believes there is £1billion of gold bullion on board the sunken ship, which was named after Clive of India, and will begin his treasure hunt next month.

He discovered the wreck in 2004 and is leading an operation to raise it.

He told The Times: 'The imperial vessel could contain €1,200m in gold coins.

'And that is without considering goods such as rum, opium and silk stored in lead pipes.

'The important thing is to get these ships because they will give us the true magnitude of the story,' said Collado. 'This is the history of Latin America and the Spanish.'

The 64-gun vessel, which was built in Hull, sailed to South America for the East India Company to bring funds and personnel for British military campaigns.

But it was sunk by cannon fire during the Seven Years' War in an attempt to retake Colonia del Sacramento, a former colony of Britain's ally Portugal, which had been seized by the Spanish.

When the ship's captain Robert McNamara launched an attack, they were hit by a constant assault from the shore.

The wreck is just 16ft down and 380 yards off the coast, but the Spanish covered it in rocks to prevent it floating to the top.

A team of 80 divers and support men will be sent to recover the ship at the cost of £4million.

------

(NEWSER) – When the British warship Lord Clive was blasted by Spanish cannon fire just off the coast of Uruguay in 1763, about 270 crew members went down with the ship. Now a treasure hunter from Argentina hopes it's also still home to more than $1 billion in gold coins, reports the London Times—half of which he could be entitled to. Ruben Collado also thinks the ship is stocked with the likes of rum, opium, and silk, and he plans to prove it by raising the vessel next month. Collado himself found the ship by accident in 2004, just 380 yards off the coast and 16 feet underwater. (Spaniards had pinned it under rocks to keep it submerged). The shallow depth is what gave up its location: Collado's vessel struck its mast in the River Plate estuary, reported AFP. He then waited more than a decade for Uruguay's permission to salvage it.
The Lord Clive went down during a military mission amid the Seven Years' War, in which British and Portugal were trying to take the city of Colonia del Sacramento. Collado thinks the 64-gun ship, which belonged to the British East India Company, made the fatal error of anchoring too close to shore, within range of Spanish cannons. The Feb. 10 operation is expected to cost about $5 million for the team of 80 divers, technicians, and other support staff to raise the ship. The hope is that it can shed more light on British naval expeditions in South America. "The rescue of the ship would have an impact on the city no less important than when UNESCO declared it, justly, a World Heritage Site," says Colonia's director of tourism. (One famous wreck has been particularly dangerous for divers.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread