Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
HI Guys,

My wife and I are taking a two week vacation to the Keys in August. I have been to the Keys on two different occasions and the diving there is fantastic. I have never really used a detector there and was wondering if it is legal or would I be looking for trouble by even having one on the boat? We usually rent a boat for a week and dive off Islamorada. An thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I am not looking to break any laws or anything, but I would really love to find a Spanish coin or something of interest.

Thanks

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
Islamorada, you should be ok. No fisher lease in that area I think.
Here's the catch with florida, within 3 miles of the coast is the 1987 shipwreck act claiming all "historical heritage" items older then 50 years. If you dive a wreck within 3 miles thats older then 50 years, you can't take anything.
Basically, if it's within 3 miles and it's "abandoned" it belongs to Florida. (nice law right?)
If it's not abandoned, then the owner is now responsible for the wreck.
Basically, you can find but not take, unless you "found" it on the beach ;)
If you were diving and found a gold spanish coin that couldn't be linked to a wreck, all out there on it's own, you could "recover" said "piece of "our" countries historical heritage" and turn it into the state historical society, who in case you didn't know, has NEVER seen such a rare coin (please), and they can catalog it and tuck it away in a bank vault until the day they realize they need funds and will have an auction to "raise needed funds" and it will be sold off to the highest bidder for profit. You will get nothing
My personal feeling is most of these laws are legal larceny.
If you find a coin, keep your mouth shut and say you found it on the beach.
DO NOT link it to a wreck site
Besides ALL that...Have fun diving in florida says the BUSH family...

Yo ho, All together...

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
All of the waters of the Keys are a National Marine Sanctuary. They take a dim view of detectors here. Be smart, leave it at home.
Splash,
Donovan

CaribbeanDiver

Oct 28, 2004
Been out with mags and detectors off Key West to Boca Chica for years and know many of the Fish & Wildlife/Marine Patrol guys and they think it's great.

Don't let the "dim view" guys take away one of the most fun and exciting things we can do as Americans. I have one of the highest ethics in the biz as far as not parting out our historical wrecks for profits, but that doesn't mean we should all stop looking. Just be responsible if you do find something. Believe me, finding a wreck is worth 1000 times its cash value.

Now, we should discuss the reality of "love to find a spanish coin...". One week in the Keys? With just a detector? You'd have a much better chance to buy a lottery ticket and get a coin with the winnings! :)

Stay away from the protected areas (yellow on the charts and big yellow santuary balls at sea) and have a blast!

:)

OP
OP
T

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
Thanks everyone for advice and believe me we will have FUN! Love the diving in the Keys.

CaribbeanDiver
Thanks for the offer on the rental it looks great. We have already got everything reserved and ready to go, but I will definitely keep your place in mind the next time we go to the Keys.

Thanks again everyone and Happy Hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread