Cookout

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I didn't realize that this cookout was going to be a Fund Raiser for Taffy's Son. I think that is an Honorable cause. It's Just My Opinion, but these cookouts were originally put together by Aquanut to share information, and Help each Other.

Well Guess What People , we have Two Living Old Time Treasure Hunters that need your Help.
Dell Winters doesn't even have enough money to buy his medicine. let alone Eat Properly.
Russ ( Whitefeather ) is battling Cancer and his Wife is in bad condition as well.

I understand that a few years ago a fund raiser was at the cookout for another Cancer victim.

I propose that THIS YEAR, THERE IS A 50/50 FUND RAISER for the two people mentioned above.
I can tell you First Hand that it is tough paying Bills and living like a normal person if you aren't Rich and you have Cancer.

I HOPE that Jeff and Ellen, put out a Jar and take Donations with 50/50 tickets for Dell and Russ. I know that they won't ask for help for themselves. Well Guess What? I'm asking for help for them.

Picture: Me with Jack Haskins. I think Jack could have used our Help too. before he passed over the Bar. at least with Friendly visits at the Rehab Center.

Attachments

• DSCN0993.JPG
    DSCN0993.JPG
    470.5 KB · Views: 117

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I keep saying this and will do so again, we should as a group maintain an account that we can fund raise and deposit into " ALL THROUGH THE YEAR" for things like Old man mentions above.

There are a decent number of 100% trusted individuals (by all of us) that could form a board to disperse the funds fairly....I personally would donate a few bucks every month and I know others would.

I also believe the big treasure/ shipwreck companies would donate and get their tax break too. It just takes a dedicated person stateside who wants this to happen!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1487855542.525471.jpg

Ps this is a more recent photo of Old man

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Sads669, It probably won't be too long before I do look like that picture you posted that claims to be me.
In the mean time. Get Stuffed.

thetigers2

Apr 20, 2009
Homosassa,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS & my good old eyes...Oh and my Mischievous Mermaid a helping...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am all for that old man,and will donate what i can..

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I am all for that old man,and will donate what i can..
thetigers2,
All I can say is Thank You. I know that Dell and Russ will appreciate any help that they can get from their Friends in the Treasure Hunting Community. Now all we need is Jeff and Ellen to post a reply and tell us where the people not attending the cookout can send their donations and specify that it is for Dell and Russ or Taffy's son.

As I mentioned to Sads, Salvor6 , agflit and others that offered to make sure I can make it to the cookout. I declined the offer. because I work part time. Sometimes I only clear $ 20 a day, other times I make more, but I can't afford to take a day off. Because I am saving up to go to Colorado the end of June to buy some medicine that may or may not cure my Cancer. However, since I know this is a Great cause, I am willing to donate $20 or $30 to help Dell and Russ. As I know how tough it is when you have a medical problem and you really need some help.

I want to Publicly thank, Sads, Salvor6, agflit and who ever else offered to help me make it to the cookout. But I'll make it on my own next year. The moral of my post is this.
I know that there are Great Friends out there willing to help others. My Greatest wish is that a lot of people come forward to help Russ and Dell.

Even an old alligator arms like me can donate to a good cause Sads669. Get Stuffed

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 420

InkingHubris

Feb 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I keep saying this and will do so again, we should as a group maintain an account that we can fund raise and deposit into " ALL THROUGH THE YEAR" for things like Old man mentions above.

There are a decent number of 100% trusted individuals (by all of us) that could form a board to disperse the funds fairly....I personally would donate a few bucks every month and I know others would.

I also believe the big treasure/ shipwreck companies would donate and get their tax break too. It just takes a dedicated person stateside who wants this to happen!!

What you are after here is called crowdfunding (raising money for an individual instead of a specific cause or charity organization). There are a few ways to go about this:

Easiest way is to go to a crowdfunding site and create an account, fill out the form and post the story and link(s) on forums and social media, etc.

The down side here is that it isn't recurring and a lot of them have deadlines, (30 days, 90 days, etc) and once you reach your goal, it stops.

The cleaner option is to open a paypal account in the name of someone here, name it TreasureGiving Account, or something. Then post the donation email account and paypal address all over. People can click and give, email and give, etc. Since it is an actual account, there are no time limits. You can also set up monthly recurring payments, if say, someone wants to donate $5 per month.

The downside here is that to distribute the money someone would have to make a withdrawal and then forward the money either in person or through a bank transfer. However, you can specify a specific amount for person X and another withdrawal for person Y.

Unfortunately because of my current over seas status and soon travelling all over, I can't be the account holder. However, I am willing to help create and set up the whole thing and supply maintenance and updates as I am able to do so.

If the owners of this site were so inclined there is also a forum add on that will allow for donations through the forum, they would just need to be able to log into the PayPal account so that the donations went to the charity instead of the site owner. (Just a thought)

Here is one of the easier to set up crowdfunding site: https://home.justgiving.com/ there are also hundreds of others (gofundme, etc) just a quick google with give you results.

Hope it helps. I think it is a great idea.

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast

View attachment 1418256

Ps this is a more recent photo of Old man
Sads669, Great Idea. I also like the idea by InkingHubris. I know that there is someone in Florida that is Friends with both of these Sick Treasure Hunters that could put Inkings idea to use. I am really surprised that the People running this years cookout haven't posted that they are willing to Help these two old time Treasure Hunters with a 50/50 fund raiser. Hopefully, it's only because they haven't been on Tnet in the last few days.

I've heard from several Treasure Hunters with Big Hearts, that think this is a good idea to Help our fellow Treasure Hunters in NEED.
Where are the Rest of You People with Big Hearts???? Let's Get this Fund Raiser Off the Ground. I'm not going to Let this Proposed Fund Raiser Go, until SOMEONE that is going to be at the Cookout Puts it into Action.

So put down your beers and let's get going. I just Pray that none of you ever get Cancer or get so poor that you can't even afford your Medicine and have to choose between Eating or Getting your Medicine.

Come on People. I've Met a lot of you and I know you care about others. Let's get this Fund Raiser Started.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2013-05-30-13h47m31s77.png
    vlcsnap-2013-05-30-13h47m31s77.png
    207.2 KB · Views: 94

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Guess it's time to shake the tree and see what falls out...

I beleive Ed has a great point... and Kevin has made a great suggestion RE: a fund. I'm certainly willing to help as I can.

I think quite frankly, that theres NO reason we, as a community, can't address several needs simultaneously... I know that Jeff is VERY busy, and doesn't get a chance to check T'net daily. It may be several days before he has an opportunity to catch up. I sincerely hope he, as organizer, will not be offended, by the ongoing discussion and points raised...the same for the Abt fund.

Treasure net, and the people who are part of, and make up, this community are as eclectic as they come... THAT..is one of greatest assets we have as group. It takes a unique individual to engage in this life, and a level of passion seldom seen in many of lifes chosen pursuits. That is just ONE of the things that reminds me of how lucky I am personally, to meet and know some of you characters...

So..at the risk of slamming my *%$# in a door...I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is...and hope I don't offend any of the event organizers in any way.

Whether it's a 50/50, an ongoing fund, raffle...whatever. NO MAN...should have to choose between eating or buying necessary medicines.

I'm in for $50 EACH...both Dell and Russ. Lets all step up, and do the RIGHT thing. If your a Starbucks fanatic... donate that $5 latte one morning. Maybe forego that dinner out for one night... it WILL add up.

Lets all, put our heads together and WORK as a team to ensure that those around us who need a hand get that help. The greatest treasure we ALL have is not on the beach..or in the ground..or under the water...it's those we have the great honor to call "friends" as we go thru life... we pride ourselves on being special...lets live up to that.

Respectfully,

ag

comfortably numb

Mar 31, 2010
Crystal River, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II,
MPX,fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sads669, Great Idea. I also like the idea by InkingHubris. I know that there is someone in Florida that is Friends with both of these Sick Treasure Hunters that could put Inkings idea to use. I am really surprised that the People running this years cookout haven't posted that they are willing to Help these two old time Treasure Hunters with a 50/50 fund raiser. Hopefully, it's only because they haven't been on Tnet in the last few days.

I've heard from several Treasure Hunters with Big Hearts, that think this is a good idea to Help our fellow Treasure Hunters in NEED.
Where are the Rest of You People with Big Hearts???? Let's Get this Fund Raiser Off the Ground. I'm not going to Let this Proposed Fund Raiser Go, until SOMEONE that is going to be at the Cookout Puts it into Action.

So put down your beers and let's get going. I just Pray that none of you ever get Cancer or get so poor that you can't even afford your Medicine and have to choose between Eating or Getting your Medicine.

Come on People. I've Met a lot of you and I know you care about others. Let's get this Fund Raiser Started.

Old man, I already planned to put out donation jars out for dell at the cookout. we can put one out for russ to. I work full time, So maybe someone with more time on their hands can get with InkingHubris and get something like that started. Or we could have a separate fundraiser in the fall like we did for Mad4wrecks. It's too late in the game this year to change what I already planned.
Jeff

comfortably numb

Mar 31, 2010
Crystal River, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II,
MPX,fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I beleive Ed has a great point... and Kevin has made a great suggestion RE: a fund. I'm certainly willing to help as I can.

I think quite frankly, that theres NO reason we, as a community, can't address several needs simultaneously... I know that Jeff is VERY busy, and doesn't get a chance to check T'net daily. It may be several days before he has an opportunity to catch up. I sincerely hope he, as organizer, will not be offended, by the ongoing discussion and points raised...the same for the Abt fund.

Treasure net, and the people who are part of, and make up, this community are as eclectic as they come... THAT..is one of greatest assets we have as group. It takes a unique individual to engage in this life, and a level of passion seldom seen in many of lifes chosen pursuits. That is just ONE of the things that reminds me of how lucky I am personally, to meet and know some of you characters...

So..at the risk of slamming my *%$# in a door...I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is...and hope I don't offend any of the event organizers in any way.

Whether it's a 50/50, an ongoing fund, raffle...whatever. NO MAN...should have to choose between eating or buying necessary medicines.

I'm in for $50 EACH...both Dell and Russ. Lets all step up, and do the RIGHT thing. If your a Starbucks fanatic... donate that $5 latte one morning. Maybe forego that dinner out for one night... it WILL add up.

Lets all, put our heads together and WORK as a team to ensure that those around us who need a hand get that help. The greatest treasure we ALL have is not on the beach..or in the ground..or under the water...it's those we have the great honor to call "friends" as we go thru life... we pride ourselves on being special...lets live up to that.

Respectfully,

ag

Good job Ag, I know dell already has a paypal setup I dont know about russ Aquanut should have that info maybe he can post it.

comfortably numb

Mar 31, 2010
Crystal River, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II,
MPX,fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also like to add that this is not just A fundraiser for taffy's son, It is the same old cookout we have every year. I just decided to donate all the proceeds to a charity instead of putting them in my pocket.
Jeff

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast

Respectfully,

ag
Ag (Kurt) Great Post. It was good talking with you on the phone today. It was nice to see Jeff's post about putting out a jar for donations at the cookout. It appears from his post that he has a lot on his plate with working full time and can't do a fund raiser this cookout for Russ and Dell.

Kurt, I'm going to ask you and Kevin to do me a personal Favor. I know if anyone will do it. You two will. I think putting out a Jar is a start, but when it comes to choosing whether to buy Medicine or Eat. I Personally don't think it is enough. I'd like you and Kevin to buy a roll of tickets and go to everyone at the cookout and sell 50/50 Tickets to help these two Treasure Hunters. I know I could Trust both of you to do this. I'll even Buy the roll of tickets. Just tell me how much and I'll send you the money. I would also like someone like you or Aquanut or anyone trustworthy to put up a post asking those that can not attend the cookout and want to donate, to provide an address by PM, to where we can send checks as a donation. I personally, don't have paypal and would prefer to just send a check to help these two Treasure Hunter's out.

I know I can depend on you Two Treasure Hunters. Thanks.

Attachments

• silverbar2.jpg
    silverbar2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 99

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think this thread is missing a very large elephant in the room. Old man is not attending the cookout because he can't afford to miss work that " he has to do regardless of the agonies of bone cancer" this is so he can afford to eat and buy medicine.

I will once again state for the record...........The cookout is one fantastic event "BUT" we need to be sending money throughout the year to people like Dell, Russ and the Grumpy Old man to name just three of probably a large amount of " in need individuals"

There are many Tn members ( and of course the owners of the site too) who could donate throughout the year, all we need is a driven individual to beg every day, week or month. If I was in the states, I would take it on.

Last edited:

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I had a chance to spend a few minutes on the phone with ol' alligator arms this am...and Kevin..you are SPOT ON.

I'm not gonna go into details regarding some things...I respect that sense of privacy toward the person..I WILL say this.

I meant what I said about this summers lil jaunt out west...and quite frankly...am half tempted to pick up the phone and give him a CC right now. Than you HAVE to attend, your fresh outta powder my man. And you know I'll do it...

I need to masticulate on this....more to come.

ag

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Wots Masticulate?? .......Doesn't that make you go blind??
Sads669, No that doesn't make you go blind. I did read this definition on the Internet,
(when a megaladon bites a human testicle.)
But that could be either Fake News or not what Ag was thinking.

I knew I could count on you two to make this work. That makes me more then ever wanting to leave the Dry Suit to
Kevin and since Kurt wants to search for Treasure with his Friend who has funding. A map and pictures where to find those 30 plus tons of silver bars that were still there at Isla de la Plata, the last time I was there.

Sads669, Get Stuffed. I'm not an elephant in the room.

Attachments

• 12046990_10153629813639452_1708132681622271867_n.jpg
    12046990_10153629813639452_1708132681622271867_n.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 288

Iteach

Jun 8, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old man, you were nice enough to help me as a stranger, thus I'm going to pay it forward. I'll either donate $100, or I can have Sadds raffle off a bunch of deer jerky and slim jim packs that I could send down to the cook out. I was already going to send Comfortably Numb an overnight package of stuff to auction off, I could just double what I was originally going to send down. Either way, a bunch of you guys have offered me help and come through, a man's word to me means volumes. So, let me know how I can help out not only a fellow treasure hunter, but a fellow man, let me know. Off my soapbox.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Teach, cut out the middle man send a deer to his house.........

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488238515.571507.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Iteach, Thank you. You are an Honorable man and I hope that we get to meet one day. Whether you donate money or send deer jerky, it's up to you. Please just make sure that you include a note to Jeff P. that your donation is for Russ and Dell. Thanks, it means a lot to me that kind people like you are willing to help others in need.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread