Robert Marx, famous Wreck Diver and Treasure Hunter to Speak in Los Angeles March 4

Steve Lawson

Greenie
Nov 14, 2008
Robert Marx, famous Wreck Diver and Treasure Hunter will be the California Wreck Divers' Guest Speaker at our 46[SUP]th[/SUP] Annual Banquet on board the museum ship, SS Lane Victory in San Pedro (Los Angeles) on March 4th.
Marx.jpg
Robert Marx, in his culmination of more than 60 years of original research in every major archive and library around the world, has amassed files comprising data on more than 28,500 shipwrecks dating from the Greeks to modern times, including shipwrecks whose cargoes contained over $10 million worth of treasures. As an underwater archaeologist and salvor, he has discovered and excavated ancient shipwrecks in over 60 sites worldwide. He has written more than 50 books, several hundred scientific reports and popular articles, and produced or filmed over 50 documentary films providing expert advice on locating, surveying, excavating, identifying and preserving artifacts from sunken vessels.

Marx will share some of his tales of treasure hunting adventures in his presentation, Underwater Archaeology Around the World, on board the museum ship, SS Lane Victory, in San Pedro. See www.cawreckdivers.org/banquet.htm or contact Steve Lawson at 949 433-8030 for more information.

Purchase of a banquet ticket includes admission on board the ship, so come early.

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You'll love his stories. He's a good speaker with a hell of a life to tell about and a lot of knowledge stored away.

Just so you can get ready, here's a link to his lectures at Florida Tech: https://media.fit.edu/scripts/cliplist.php?project=Marx

and a pretty complete list of his printed works: Results for '"Robert F. Marx"' [WorldCat.org]

That list does not have his latest book with Signum Ops- "The Best of Sir Robert F Marx Volume II, which can be found here: Signum Ops | Product Catalog

Be sure to post how it went and what new stuff he brought up. There's always something.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Thank you for posting that! Anyone who can attend will find it very worthwhile.

I met Sir Robert a number of years ago when he was battling the state of California for permission to hunt for the lost Spanish galleon up in Drake's Bay. The state refused to allow him and his group (one of whom is a friend). Frankly, they were never going to issue a permit.

Since then - the state has done nothing to explore it and bring the lost history to life. Quelle surprise!

A quibble, if I may. Your comment stated "...including shipwrecks whose cargoes contained over $10 million worth of treasures." I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that's a typo. Probably should be $10 billion.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old Bookaroo,
Interesting. I was in Bob's partnership for Drake's Bay.
I remember attending at least one State Lands Commission meeting in California with Bob.
If he were to get the permit, he would start at his "X" marks the spot.
As you wrote, he never got that permit, but I received a copy of his "X" chart.
Did we meet in LA?
Don......

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Mackaydon:

The charade I attended was here in Northern California. My friend Scott E. introduced me to Bob Marx. I say "charade" because the state archaeologist had already made it clear Sir Robert was never going to get a permit, no matter what was said at that or any other meeting, public or private.

Later Sir Robert purchased one of the first 100, signed and numbered copies of Phil Olin's Treasure; The Business and Technology with the "goodies." He was complimentary regarding Phil's first-rate work.

Is the galleon there? At this rate, we'll never know. And that's just not right.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon:

The charade I attended was here in Northern California. My friend Scott E. introduced me to Bob Marx. I say "charade" because the state archaeologist had already made it clear Sir Robert was never going to get a permit, no matter what was said at that or any other meeting, public or private.

Later Sir Robert purchased one of the first 100, signed and numbered copies of Phil Olin's Treasure; The Business and Technology with the "goodies." He was complimentary regarding Phil's first-rate work.

Is the galleon there? At this rate, we'll never know. And that's just not right.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM
do ou have any info re the location of the galleon? I am planning some fishing trips along the coast and know that they congregate near structure.
Also, years ago there was a poster who was pulling up coins scuba diving.from shore.
do you recall, and are his posts still accessible?
Thanks.
bob in San Diego

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Bookaroo,
I remember attending at least one State Lands Commission meeting in California with Bob.
Did we meet in LA?
Don......
Old Bookaroo,
Did we meet in LA?
Don......
Don, are you still around. I saw where a 1952 sonar scan turned up 5 wrecks, but not the Agustin. Of course, it would have been eaten away. I am making a drone for something to do in retirement and would love to tak a look at the area. Are you able to provide Bob's coords? Ill send you an escudo. Bob in San Diego.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TN, how do we know if someone is still kicking?
Ive e already embarassed myself once!

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
I'm still kicking. When I do 'spring cleaning' in my garage, I'll look for the Drake's Bay chart. Send me a PM with your contact information if you wish.
Don..
Any luck with the chart?
Do you recall if it sunk on the ocean side or the bay side of the peninsula?

How far out?

TIA,
Bob

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
IF THE STATE REFUSES YOU AND SAYS ITS A TOTAL AND FOREVER NO GO * then do them a FAVOR publicly revealthe location as widely as possible so the state can enjoy fighting off the poachers and looters and gets 0 from the wrecksite in comp like they would have got IF they had played fairly with you

sirwilliam

May 26, 2010
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Excalibur
Robert Marx, famous Wreck Diver and Treasure Hunter will be the California Wreck Divers' Guest Speaker at our 46[SUP]th[/SUP] Annual Banquet on board the museum ship, SS Lane Victory in San Pedro (Los Angeles) on March 4th.
View attachment 1418465
Robert Marx, in his culmination of more than 60 years of original research in every major archive and library around the world, has amassed files comprising data on more than 28,500 shipwrecks dating from the Greeks to modern times, including shipwrecks whose cargoes contained over $10 million worth of treasures. As an underwater archaeologist and salvor, he has discovered and excavated ancient shipwrecks in over 60 sites worldwide. He has written more than 50 books, several hundred scientific reports and popular articles, and produced or filmed over 50 documentary films providing expert advice on locating, surveying, excavating, identifying and preserving artifacts from sunken vessels.

Marx will share some of his tales of treasure hunting adventures in his presentation, Underwater Archaeology Around the World, on board the museum ship, SS Lane Victory, in San Pedro. See www.cawreckdivers.org/banquet.htm or contact Steve Lawson at 949 433-8030 for more information.

Purchase of a banquet ticket includes admission on board the ship, so come early.
I knew Robert marks but he passed away nearly 3 years ago. Did you not know this? He gave me the location of a major Spanish treasure Rick but it's not in Florida it's not in the Caribbean. Would you like to join us or know more about it?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a restraint of trade / business lawsuit could maybe unlock the wreck site --the state has no right to deny legal lawful salvors from earning a living to publicly declare no how , no way no matter what is just that

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
There is a Springer Brief with an article in it from 2021 by Matthew A Russell that details their efforts to find the shipwreck, including a map (Fig. 7.6) that includes their primary area. this was based on the collection of Wan Li pottery sherds off the beaches in the area, which I did for about 6 years, and historical accounts. I might go and reapproach them and see if they are going to do any water work, which they have asserted they were going to start at any time.

sirwilliam

May 26, 2010
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Excalibur
Thank you for posting that! Anyone who can attend will find it very worthwhile.

I met Sir Robert a number of years ago when he was battling the state of California for permission to hunt for the lost Spanish galleon up in Drake's Bay. The state refused to allow him and his group (one of whom is a friend). Frankly, they were never going to issue a permit.

Since then - the state has done nothing to explore it and bring the lost history to life. Quelle surprise!

A quibble, if I may. Your comment stated "...including shipwrecks whose cargoes contained over $10 million worth of treasures." I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that's a typo. Probably should be $10 billion.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM
108 manila galleons sank mostly in the philippines and only three have ever been located and totally salvaged. An average manila galleon could be worth more than 1 billion dollars. Now start multiplying! I have a list i'm about 100 of them giving the names of each ship and the date of loss and the location of loss and the reason for loss and this list was put together in total by about 75 historians. Using information from that list we have already located six of them. I knew robert marks. He wrote about three ships if he said he could not find but i found them. I welcome anyone to contact me
(Deleted for rule violation)

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions