New Seabed and Sub-Seabed Profiling Tech (BaktarRadar)

OP
OP
D

davidbakhtar

Jun 28, 2007
Sigh...the technology was originally developed by Dr. Khosrow Bakhtar under the U.S. Air Force Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) program to detect buried ordnance. Dr. Bakhtar retained his proprietary rights in the technology.
The technology, which has been enhanced and developed for years now, has been demonstrated for a variety of both civil and military applications, including marine demonstrations for the US Navy. All military application demonstration reports, including the Navy ones, are classified because they could characterize US detection capabilities.
However, Dr. Bakhtar still has the right to use his own technology for private commercial purposes if he likes.
I am going to say this now for the last time, fellas-- anyone with a serious project can contact me and I will arrange for him, or her, to speak to experts who can vouch for us. I am not allowed to post these experts' names in public, because they don't a bunch of strangers bothering them with penny ante or crackpot requests. But any qualified inquirer will be able to make his own assessment as to the expertise of our references after we arrange the introduction.
Perhaps that would be a more appropriate time for serious, interested parties to characterize our service.
And, by the way, for the right project, we are willing to defer or contribute all our costs except for direct, out-of-pocket expenses, such as air, food, lodging, etc. So, if this were some kind of fraud, as you so impetuously imply, how would we profit from that?

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Do not get me wrong,
I am not saying anything for or against your company. There were questions that needed some answers and you answered them. I thank you for that.
However I have one question left.
You are asking $30,000 for this device. How much for the crew that will operate it?
Thanks
Peg Leg

OP
OP
D

davidbakhtar

Jun 28, 2007
The $30,000 is an estimate just for mobilization and demobilization. Daily operating costs could run anywhere from $10-17G daily. Testing of the equipment under local conditions must be performed. Plus there's direct out-of-pocket costs, such as air travel,food, lodging, etc. for a crew of anywhere from 3-8. And these are just our costs without profit! HOWEVER:
1. These numbers are rough "guesstimates." Each project is different and the actual costs are job-dependent.
2. For the right project with the right people, we would consider deferring or contributing, in return for a percentage of the recovery, ALL of the above costs except the direct out-of-pocket expenses.

ping

Apr 6, 2005
Vancouver BC
Hi David, I'm back.

I would like to continue our discussion. A few questions.

1. There must be some published, or public document that describes, in detail, how this technology works and what principles it is based on. It strikes me as odd that you are trying to market this, yet cannot back up any of your claims with any documentation. Although I am keeping an open mind, this factor is currently a barrier to me taking this to the next step.

2. The costs. Your quote of $30K for mobilization/demob plus $17K per day. This cost is extremely high. Even a modestly equipped research ship, with all sonar, mag, computers, staff etc, won't cost that much. Why are the operation costs so high? Especially for a system that (as you claim) can be operated by one or two people?

3. The company that *may* have an interest in this has a rated security person who is permitted to access Nato secret documentation. I assume you won't have a problem with providing the document number to me of the 'secret' report on this, which I will in turn forward on so they can make an official information request and study the technology.

Many Thanks
P

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll stick with my mag and side scan. At 0.1 kts with 2.5 meter line spacing and a day rate of $17k you could rent the Keldysh cheaper. According to my math your talking 8000 hours or 333, 24 hour days and $5.6 million to survey one square mile. With all due respect I suggest you stick to government work.

OP
OP
D

davidbakhtar

Jun 28, 2007
For one square mile, the original survey will generally take about three hours in zig-zag patterns at a speed of about 3 - 5 miles/hr. Detected anomalies are further interrogated to filter out clutter and select the real target. The actual search depends on the number of anomalies observed at sea-bed. Target size is an additional factor. It may take one hour or it may take several tens of hours - volumetric imaging for 4-dimensional visualization will take about 3 to 8 hours for computation depending on the size of detected target.

The honorable gentleman should revise his mathematics - furthermore, unless there is a high probability of target presence it is useless to interrogate the entire ocean looking for a wreck.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, help me out then. What is the expected usable beamwidth of your equipment at a depth of 15 meters?

OP
OP
D

davidbakhtar

Jun 28, 2007
that is why we reconstruct volumetric images for 4-dimensional visualization. i do not understand yr characterization of TN readers as simple.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
David, most of us are not so simple. :D

Please keep us informed of advances in your new technology and keep looking for ways to bring the costs down.

I think it is smart of you to introduce your technology by advertising it for free in this shipwreck forum, although I am sure you are advertising through other avenues as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread