New Seabed and Sub-Seabed Profiling Tech (BaktarRadar)

davidbakhtar

Jun 28, 2007
This is a copy of my post on the Diving & Marine Forum. Any serious shallow water projects are welcome to contact me.

BakhtarRadar: A New Dimension in Non-Invasive Hydrographic Exploration and Sub-Seabed Imaging

Originally developed by Dr. Khosrow Bakhtar under the U.S. Air Force Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) program to detect buried ordnance, BakhtarRadar is now available for civil marine applications for the first time.

BakhtarRadar’s principal marine applications are shipwreck detection and sub-seabed mapping/ volumetric imaging. It can detect metallic and non-metallic targets. In most cases, using a newly invented principle called "Forced Resonance” based on radar, BakhtarRadar can reconstruct 4-dimensional and volumetric images to better discriminate between the target and ocean floor clutter. It offers higher resolution in the MHz regime and an enhanced signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), facilitating ease of analysis and discrimination as compared to conventional systems.

Depth of penetration is up to 300 ft. of water and seabed (depending on antenna design and size of the submerged target). There are no limitations with respect to salinity, sand depth, soils or overburden.

The device is mounted on zodiacs, which are towed by the mother ship. The ship covers the search area in a zigzag pattern, then goes back over anomalies very slowly.

Seabed interrogation is triggered with a high resolution Global Positioning System (GPS), allowing transfer of the location coordinates onto any GIS system for site planning.

The technology is available through a service contract.

For more information, please contact:

David Steinman
Bakhtar Associates
PO Box 494
Bronxville, NY 10708-0494,
U. S. A.
(914) 237- 6533
email: [email protected]

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
Hey David,I reckon this weekend would be a good time to show up and dazzle some folks in Coco Beach!

OP
OP
D

davidbakhtar

Jun 28, 2007
Sorry, a weekend at Cocoa Beach sounds delightful, but we are in California. And the system's not a handheld. Mobilization and demobiization alone takes several people and around $30G!

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
David could you post a photo of this unit?
Does it work on land as well as underwater?
Thanks
Peg leg

ping

Apr 6, 2005
Vancouver BC
Because all em (i.e. radio) energy is absorbed by seawater almost instantly, how can your system work underwater?

As I understand your system, it operates between 30Khz to 6 Ghz. At these frequencies, your emissions would be completely absorbed within a range between 2mm to about 2 meters!

You claim 300 ft of water penetration.

How do you substantiate this?

P.

OP
OP
D

davidbakhtar

Jun 28, 2007
Following are a compilation of recent questions about BakhtarRadar and their answers:

All i see is that the device is used on land. how about marine use? have any actual scans or photos(not drawings out of your catalog)land devices like this are not new.there are plenty of makers of this device that find buried plastic and metal objects like mines etc.show us something we havent seen before.

I can assure you - nobody can do volumetric imaging or detect plastic and metallic pipes using the same sensor. The above honorable gentleman is absolutely wrong.

Because all em (i.e. radio) energy is absorbed by seawater almost instantly, how can your system work underwater?

The law-power energy is forced resonated rather than working on the fundamental frequencies of the antennae - submerging antennae at multiple/fraction of wave length would facilitate directionality of energy and much larger distances (km range) to be interrogated - note at greater depth energy couples with the earth magnetic field and the resulting electromagnetic wave speed (EMWS) is no longer linear as a function of depth of penetration - test bed characterization to the depth of interest is done at the beginning of each field operation. The EMWS characterizes each test bed uniquely and can be used to improve the design and performance of the forced-resonating antennae for a specific site.

As I understand your system, it operates between 30Khz to 6 Ghz. At these frequencies, your emissions would be completely absorbed within a range between 2mm to about 2 meters!

Please refer to the above !

You claim 300 ft of water penetration. How do you substantiate this?

Our marine demos are Navy classified. However, recent analysis leads us to believe a depth of 3.45 km below the ocean floor can be interrogated-- we cannot elaborate on this issue at this time since it is the subject of a major negotiation with an international oil company at this time. People with serious projects can contact us privately for verification of our claims.

Can you show a picture of the device?

See attachment.

What are some of the projects you have completed in marine environments?

Most of the work we've completed was in conjunction with military and law-enforcement agencies, including, but not limited to: (1) detection and volumetric image reconstruction from plastic and metallic mines laid at the bottom of the ocean along the surf zone; (2) detection and volumetric image reconstruction of mines suspended from the ocean floor; (3) detection and volumetric image reconstruction of a murder weapon (hand gun) in the sea-floor.

How does your system compare to the BATHY 1500?

BakhtarRadar works on an innovative concept recently developed in-house and referred to as "forced-resonance" (FR), based on the radar principle as opposed to an "echo sounder" like BATHY 1500. The advantage of using our FR technique is that we can maintain high resolution in MHz regime and still penetrate to greater depth with reasonably small wavelength for detection. In the majority of cases, we can reconstruct 4-dimensional and volumetric images to better discriminate between the target and the many clutters commonly found at the ocean floor. Please note that our output power for ocean/ground interrogation will never exceed 10 dBm (less than 10-mWatt). The energy is forced onto the saline water based on our FR technique, which provides an extremely high signal-to-noise ratio required for submerged target detection.

Is it similar to TDEM technology such as the GEM 2?

GEM 2 works pretty much like a magnetometer. Our system can detect both metal and non-metallic targets.

How quickly is the initial survey performed?

Platform speed depends on the size of the target. For a large ship, 1 - 5 miles per hour is possible. For a target size of 1-m by 1-m, speed drops considerably. For smaller targets, we may have to go even below 0.1 mph. Several other factors impact the speed - this includes test parameters, which are site specific.
Parallel lines with at least 15% overlap are the best - but remember the width of each swath is about 2.5-m and conducting parallel line at a low platform speed will take a long time. I am hoping that within the zig-zag we can at least pick portion of target - if not we have to go back to the parallel line.

Does your system require extensive training? Is it available for lease or purchase?

The technology is available only through a service contract. We would provide our own trained operator(s).

Attachments

• marine photo.jpg
    marine photo.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,011

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
$30,000 for a LRL and you have to hire someone to operate it.
I asked for a photo and what I got was a picture of 2 black rubber boats :-\ :-\ ;D
Peg leg

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006
Peg Leg said:
$30,000 for a LRL and you have to hire someone to operate it.
I asked for a photo and what I got was a picture of 2 black rubber boats :-\ :-\ ;D
Peg leg

....and an old TV on the bow.... ???

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I had the guys from the university in Miami come up and do a sub bottom profile on the Jupiter site this is what the equipment looked like. Looks pretty similar to me. Are you guys going to say the same things about the university?

Attachments

• MVC-252X_small.jpg
    MVC-252X_small.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 814

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006
SEAHUNTER said:
When I had the guys from the university in Miami come up and do a sub bottom profile on the Jupiter site this is what the equipment looked like. Looks pretty similar to me. Are you guys going to say the same things about the university?

Of course not, then I'd have the thug football team chasing me down like last years episode. ;D

I think Peg was expecting a photo of the equipment on dry ground. No offense intended.

ping

Apr 6, 2005
Vancouver BC
The sub bottom profiler shown is acoustic. I have used sub bottom profilers with good success to detect dense objects buried beneath the sea floor. The sub bottom profiler is well understood, however the imagery requires extensive processing to be useful. Sub bottom profilers will detect an object that has an acoustical cross sectional area of at least 1/4 of the wavelength of the sound fundamental.

The law-power energy is forced resonated rather than working on the fundamental frequencies of the antennae - submerging antennae at multiple/fraction of wave length would facilitate directionality of energy and much larger distances (km range) to be interrogated - note at greater depth energy couples with the earth magnetic field and the resulting electromagnetic wave speed (EMWS) is no longer linear as a function of depth of penetration - test bed characterization to the depth of interest is done at the beginning of each field operation. The EMWS characterizes each test bed uniquely and can be used to improve the design and performance of the forced-resonating antennae for a specific site.

I'm not sure how you define 'forced resonance'. I did a quick publication search and couldn't find a direct reference to what you are doing. Do you have a reference so I can understand this?. Thanks.

Here's what I don't quite get. Because seawater absorbs nearly all EM, except extremely low frequency EM, I don't understand how you can transmit *any* energy from your antenna into seawater. This is a problem that nobody has solved yet. Remember the communication systems submarines use is very low frequency EM, with antennas that are hundreds of miles long. To date, this is the only known way to propagate EM energy through seawater. Of course, at that wavelength the resolving ability will be terrible because resolution and wavelength are directly proportional.

Regardless of the manifestation of the energy you emit, you still need to get energy into seawater, yes?. My point is that if it's EM, which appears to be the case, then how can you claim what you claim?.

Perhaps if I can understand exactly what 'forced resonance' is, and 'what is resonating - exactly' then I might look at this with greater credibility.

Do you have any in-situ data of marine applications?.

Thank you for your response.

My motivation here is not to discredit anyone, because if such a technology did work then I would have a wide range of commercial applications for it. However, I need to be convinced of the operating principles first before I get excited.
P.

OP
OP
D

davidbakhtar

Jun 28, 2007
I will try to address at once several of the comments made today:

1. BakhtarRadar will locate targets long range, but in 4D and higher res with GPS positioning. So it is not just any LRL.
2. Yes, it costs $30G just for mobilization and demobilization. And there are a lot of other operating costs, too. We would consider deferring or contributing most of them for a serious project. Do you have a serious project? If so, please contact us privately.
3. I have already explained that the marine demo is Navy classified. That means I am not allowed to post pictures from it on a public forum. However, we have already posted an invitation for anyone with a serious project to contact us privately, and we will arrange verification of our claims for qualified parties. Do you have a serious project? If so, I repeat the invitation.
4. Regarding the mischaracterization of our product ("fraud," crap," etc), which represents years of hard work and millions in investment, I have posted some excerpts from Dr. Khosrow Bakhtar's resume below. I ask the author of these rather cruel and peremptory comments to please post his resume here as well, so our fellow readers can compare them and judge for themselves whose opinion they should trust.
(And thank you, Seahunter, for sticking up for us!)

Education

Ph.D. Mining Engineering (Rock Mechanics), University of Utah, 1985
Ph.D. Candidate, Material Science and Mineral Engineering (Rock Mechanics), University of California, Berkeley, 1981-1982
M.Sc. Civil Engineering (Structures and Mechanics), Princeton University, 1981
M.Sc. Mining Engineering (Geomechanics), Pennsylvania State University, 1979
B.Sc.(HON.) Mining Engineering, Royal School of Mines, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, University of London, 1976.
G.C.E. - General Certificate of Education (G.C.E) - Advanced Level in Mathematical
Sciences Oxfordshire Public School, Oxford, England, 1971.

Teaching-Experience

University of California, Los Angeles School of Business, Engineering and Management, UCLA Extension.
1989 - Rock Mechanics - Theory and Practice (4 credits)
To _ Geologic Engineering Aspects of Underground Excavation and
1993 Tunneling (4 credits)
_ Rock Mechanics and Tunneling in Rocks (6 credits)

Membership of Professional-Organizations

Associateship of Royal School of Mines, London, England
American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers
American Society of Civil Engineers
American Underground-Space Association
American Military Engineers
American Concrete Institute
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
International Society of Rock Mechanics, Scale Effects Working Group
The International Society for Optical Engineering
International Association of Engineering Geology
Materials Research Society
Triangle Fraternity of Engineers, Architects, and Scientists

Previous-Employers

Bakhtar Associates, President and Senior Scientist 1989 - Present
The Earth Technology Corporation, Principal Engineer. 1985 - 1989
Terra Tek, Inc., Manager, Applied Mechanics Group. 1982 - 1985
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory. 1981 - 1982
University of California, Berkeley. 1981 - 1982
Princeton University. 1979 - 1981
The Pennsylvania State University. 1976 - 1979
Woodward-Clyde Consultants. 1976
Rio Tinto Zinc (RTZ) Mining Company. 1975
United Nations – Engineering Geologist Avalanche Inv. 1974
Great Britain National Coal Board. (Mine Engineer Trainee) 1972 - 1974
International-Experience
Mining Engineering - British National Coal Board (2 yrs.)
Lead/Zinc Mining - Rio Tinto Zinc
Rock Mechanics - Canadian Atomic Energy (CANMET)
Modeling of Shear Resistance of Rocks to Sub-Sea Dredging - Delft
Hydraulic Laboratory, Holland
Explosions in Hard Rocks, Norwegian Ministry of Defense, Oslo, Norway
Characterization of Tunnel Explosion Test Site - Confortia, Swedish National Defence Establishment, Älvdalen, Sweden
Accident Investigation at Underground Munitions Chamber - Defence Technology and Procurement Agency, Bern, Switzerland
Underground Munitions Storage Design US Navy/NATO – Sicily, Italy
Classified (Top Secret) Foreign Projects.

Publications and Reports

Bakhtar, K., “Detection of Buried Pipes at Gas Technology Institute in Des Plaines, Illinois,” Demonstration No-3, Technical Report, BA-TR-2006-39, submitted to Gas Technology Institute, August 2, 2006.
Bakhtar, K., “Bakhtar Wall Interrogator (BWI),” Assessment of the Next Generation EM Sensor, Technical Report, BA-TR-2006-37, submitted to US Army, Piccatiny Arsenal, July 19, 2006.
Bakhtar, K., “Real Time Detection of Personnel Borne Improvised Explosive Device (PBIED),” 2nd International Symposium on Tunnel Safety and Security, Madrid, Spain, March 15 – 17, 2006.
Bakhtar, K., “Tunnel Detection at Otay Mesa and Calexico,” NORAD USNORTHCOM J42, Technical Report, TR-BA-2006-06, Submitted to Defense Threat Reduction Agency, March 13, 2006.
Bakhtar, K., “Standoff Real Time Explosive Sensor,” Presented at Homeland Security Symposium II, Naval Base Ventura County, Port Hueneme, California, February 23, 2006.
Bakhtar, K., “Submerged Detection of PDM Mine and Base Plate,” Submitted to US Navy, Coronado Island, San Diego, California, Technical Report TR-BA-2006-03, February 8, 2006.
Bakhtar, K., “Detection of Bacillus Thuringiensis and Triethyl Phosphate Shielded in Artillery Shell - An Experimental Investigation Using Bakhtar Weapons of Mass Destruction (BWMD),” Sensor Technical Report BA-TR-2005-20 Submitted to Lockheed Martine Missiles and Fire Control, October 23, 2005.
Bakhtar, K., “Detection Of Personal Borne IED Using Bakhtar Explosive Detector (BXD),” Technical Report BA-TR-2005-02, Submitted to: USARMY RDECOM CERDEC I2WD
AMSRD-CER-IW-IM, May 17, 2005.
Bakhtar, K., “Detection of Armed and Unarmed Personnel Behind a Thick Wall Using Bakhtar Electromagnetic Sensor,” Technical Report BA-TR-2004-06, Submitted to Defense Threat Reduction Agency, June 21, 2004.
Bakhtar, K., “A Multi-Purpose Portable Sensor For Shielded WMD Detection,” BA-TR-2005-03, Submitted to: USARMY RDECOM CERDEC I2WD, AMSRD-CER-IW-IM, April 27, 2005.
Bakhtar, K., “Bakhtar VBIED Detector,” Technical Report BA-TR-2004-15
Submitted to: G-9 – Innovation Technology Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, California December 2004.
Bakhtar, K., and Linger, D., “Blast-Induced Ground Shock From Detonation Of BLU-109 Penetrator Weapon With Advanced Capability In Hard Limestone,” Defense Threat Reduction Agency, BA-TR-2004-09, August 3, 2004.
Bakhtar, K., “Near Field Response of Us Navy Classified Samples “1,” “2,” And “3”To Bakhtar Time Domain Identifier (BTDI),” BA-TR-2004-08, Submitted to US Navy, Director of Special Technologies, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Dahlgren, Virginia, July 11, 2004.
Bakhtar, K., and Linger, D., “Performance Assessment Of BLU-109 Penetrator Weapon With Advanced Capability,” Defense Threat Reduction Agency, BA-TR-2004-06, August 3, 2004.
Bakhtar, K., “Detection Of Armed And Unarmed Personnel Behind A Thick Wall Using Bakhtar Electromagnetic Sensor,” Technical Report BA-TR-2004-06, Submitted to: Defense Threat Reduction Agency, Ft. Belvoir, Virginia 22060-6201, June 21, 2004.
Bakhtar, K., “Detection of Shielded Weapon Grade Radiological Material Using AZIEL,” Las Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), Defense Threat Reduction Agency, Contract DTRA01-03-C-0060, BA-TR-2004-04, May 17, 2004.
Bakhtar, K., “Detection of Shielded Radiological Material Using AZIEL,” Defense Threat Reduction Agency, Contract DTRA01-03-C-0060, BA-TR-2004-03, April 27, 2004.
Bakhtar, K., "Performance Assessment of Penetrator Weapons," Aeronautical Systems Center, Air Force Material Command, SBIR Phase II, Contract No. F08630-02-C-0020, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, March 2004.
Bakhtar, K., and Sagal, E., “U. S. Air Force EarthRadar for Detection and Discrimination of Buried Unexploded Ordnance,” IEEE Aerospace and Electronics SYSTEMS Magazine, ISSN 0885-8985, Volume 17, No: 2, February 2002.
Bakhtar, K., “Detection of Water Table at Simi Valley Golf Course Using EarthRadar,” Report submitted to the United Nations Children Funds in Support of Refugees in the Third World Countries, February 2002,
Bakhtar, K., "Performance Assessment of Penetrator Weapons," Aeronautical Systems Center, Air Force Material Command, SBIR Phase I, Contract No. F08630-01-C-0025, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, 2001, Submitted October 2001.
Bakhtar, K., “Detecting, Discriminating Buried UXO,” The Military Engineer Magazine, Volume 93, No: 613, page 38, October 2001.
Bakhtar, K. and Sagal, E., Development of Reflection Tomography Software and Antennae for EarthRadar Buried UXO/Clutter Discrimination,” US Air Force, Contract F08630-98-C-0031, SBIR Phase II, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, 2001.
Bakhtar, K, and Sagal, E., “Underwater Mine Detection at Coronado Island Using US Air Force EarthRadar,” Submitted to US Navy EODGRUEONE, Coronado, San Diego, California, May 4, 2001
Bakhtar, K,. and Sagal E., “Noninvasive Subsurface Ground Characterization,” Edwards Air Force Base, Contract F08630-98-C-0031 MOD 10, July 2000.
Bakhtar, K., Sagal, E., Jenus, J., Jr., "Detection and Discrimination of Buried UXO at Naval Weapons Station Using US Air Force EarthRadar," 29th Department of Defense Explosive Safety Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, July 18 - 20, 2000.
Bakhtar, K., "Performance Assessment of Underground Munitions Storage Facilities," International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, pp 369 - 384, June 2000.
Bakhtar, K., and Sagal, E., "Subsurface Investigation At Suspected Buried Chemical Warfare Materiel (AOC 426) - Edwards Air Force Base - Using Us Air Force Earthradar," Technical Support Submitted to Installation Restoration Division, Environmental Management Directorate, Edwards Air Force Base, California, May 2000.
Bakhtar, K., “Performance Assessment of Underground Munitions Storage Facilities,” International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, pp 369 – 384, Vol. 37, 2000.
Bakhtar, K. "Italian Navy Standard Missile Test Cell Hardened Wall Anchorage Design," Italian Navy, Sicily, Italy, March 20, 2000.
Bakhtar, K. and Sagal, E, “Detection and Discrimination of Buried Small Arms and Grenades at Naval Weapons Station Using US Air Force EarthRadar - Part I," Technical Report to United States Navy, Naval Weapons Station, Seal Beach, California, December 15, 1999.
Bakhtar, K. and Sagal, E, “Detection and Discrimination of Buried Burried UXO in Dredged Fine Silt at Naval Weapons Station Using US Air Force EarthRadar - Parts II and III," Technical Report to United States Navy, Naval Weapons Station, Seal Beach, California, August 15, 2000.
Bakhtar, K., and Sagal, E., “RF Transmission Through a Drill Stem Using the US Air Force EarthRadar System,” TR-1998-BA-17, Submitted to Resource Enterprises, October 20, 1998.
Bakhtar, K., Sagal, E., Jenus, J., Jr., and Churillo, C., “Initial Evaluation of US Air Force EarthRadar for Detection of Buried Glass Vial,” Contract F08630-98-C-0031, TR-1998-BA-16, United States Air Force, ASC/WMGB (EHR) Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, October 15, 1998
Bakhtar, K., and Sagal, E., “Performance Evaluation of Next Generation Horn and Adaptive Antennae – US Air Force EarthRadar System,” Contract F08630-98-C-0031, T R-1998-BA-15, United States Air Force, ASC/WMGB (EHR) Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, October 20, 1998
Bakhtar, K., “Shallow-Depth Soft Ground Tunneling In Urban Areas,” SAROCK, Escola Politécnica da Universidade de São Paulo Departamento de Engenharia de Minas, Rua Prof. Mello Moraes, No 2773, Cidade Univesitãria CEP – 05508-900- São Paulo, S. P.- Brasil, November 22 – 24, 1998
Bakhtar, K., “Simulation of a Tunnel Explosion Test Using Physical Modeling at 1-g,”
SAROCK, Escola Politécnica da Universidade de São Paulo Departamento de Engenharia de Minas, Rua Prof. Mello Moraes, No 2773, Cidade Univesitãria
CEP – 05508-900- São Paulo, S. P.- Brasil, November 22 – 24, 1998
Bakhtar, K., “Performance Assessment of Underground Munitions Storage Facilities,” Neville G. W. Cook Conference, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley, California, October 16 – 17, 1998.
Bakhtar, K., and Sagal, E., “Results of Detection Test Conducted on Buried Liquid Filled and Empty Glass Bottles Using US Air Force EarthRadar System,” BA-TR-1998-11, Contract F08630-98-C-0031, United States Air Force, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, July31, 1998.
Bakhtar, K., and Jenus, Jr., J., “Back Scattered Signal from Skid-Mounted Antennae for Buried UXO Detection Using US Air Force EarthRadar System,” Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, AUSVI ’98, Huntsville, Alabama, June 8 - 12 1998.
Bakhtar, K., and Sagal, E., “Results of Submerged Metallic and Plastic Target Tests at Del Mar Harbor – Camp Pendleton California Using US Air Force EarthRadar System,” BA-TR-1998-10, Contract F08630-98-C-0031, United States Air Force, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, June 1, 1998.
Bakhtar, K., and Jenus, Jr., J., “Application of Bakhtar Empirical Model to Performance Optimization of Underground Munitions Storage Structures,” 28th Department of Defense Explosive Safety Seminar, Orlando, Florida, August 18-20, 1998.
Bakhtar, K., and Jenus, Jr., J., “US Air Force EarthRadar for UXO Cleanup,” 28th Department of Defense Explosive Safety Seminar, Orlando, Florida, August 18-20, 1998.
Bakhtar, K., “Testing and UXO Detection Using US Air Force EarthRadar System” The US Department of Defense, Explosive Safety Board, FORUM’98 A Global Conference on Unexploded Ordnance, Anaheim, California, May 5 – 7, 1998.
Bakhtar, K., and Sagal, E., “Results of Buried UXO Investigative Tests at El Toro Marine Base California Using US Air Force EarthRadar System,” BA-TR-1998-07, Contract F08630-98-C-0031, United States Air Force, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, April 30, 1998.
Bakhtar, K., and Jenus, Jr., J., “Forward Scattering Signal from US Air Force EarthRadar for Detection of Buried UXO,” The Third International Conference on Technology and The Mine Problem, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, April 6 – 9, 1998.
Bakhtar, K. and Sagal, E., Detection and Disposal of Buried Bombs,” US Air Force, Contract F086260-95-C-0233, SBIR Phase II, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, 1998.
Bakhtar, K. and Sagal, E., Development of Reflection Tomography Software and Antennae for EarthRadar Buried UXO/Clutter Discrimination,” US Air Force, Contract F08630-97-C-0074, SBIR Phase I, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, 1998.
Bakhtar, K., “Investigation of Terrorist Bomb Attack on Ground-Fixed Structures Based on Bakhtar Empirical Model,” The Arnfinn Jenssen Symposium, Structural Safety and Protection, Test and Design, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, May 25 - 27, 1998.
Bakhtar, K., and Jenus, Jr., J., “An Innovative Empirical Model for Prediction of Hazardous Fragment-Range and Q-D from Accidental Detonation of an Underground Munitions Magazine,” The Arnfinn Jenssen Symposium, Structural Safety and Protection, Test and Design, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, May 25 - 27, 1998.
Bakhtar, K., and Jenus, Jr., J., “Forward Scattered Signal From US Air Force, EarthRadar for Detection of Buried UXO,” Mine Line, Topic in the Art of Mine Warfare, The Third International Symposium on Technology and the Mine Problem, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California, April 6 - 9, 1998.
Bakhtar, K., Sagal, E., Jenus, Jr., Jr., and Churillo, C., “Buried Missile Detection at Utah Test and Training Range (UTTR) and Dugway Proving Ground – Hill Air Force Base, Utah,” BA-TR-1998-1, Contract F08626-95-C-0233, United States Air Force, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, January 12, 1998.
Bakhtar, K., and Sagal, E., “Soil Characterization and UXO Detection Experiments at Wright Laboratory Test Site – Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida,” BA-TR-199-07, Contract F08626-95-C-0233, United States Air Force, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, August 10, 1997.
Bakhtar, K., “Impact of Rock Joints and Discontinuities on the Blast-Response of Responding Tunnels Studied Under Physical Modeling at 1-g,” Presented at the 36th U.S. Rock Mechanics Symposium, ISRM International Symposium, Columbia University, New York, June 29 - July 2, 1997.
Bakhtar, K., “Development of Safety Criteria for Explosive Storage of Structures, “U. S. Air Force, Contract F08635-92-C-0078, SBIR Phase II, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, April 1997.
Bakhtar, K., and Jenus, Jr., J., “Initial Steps Towards UXO/Clutter Detection and Discrimination,” The US Department of Defense UXO Forum 97, Nashville, Tennessee, May 28 - 30, 1997.
Bakhtar, K., and Jenus, Jr., J., Physical Modeling of Material Behavior from a Tunnel Explosion Test at 1-g, to be Presented at the 8th International Symposium on Interaction of the Effects of Munitions with Structures, Defense Treat Reduction Agency, McLean, Virginia, April 22 - 25, 1997.
Bakhtar, K., High Performance Magazine Certification Test #3 - Post Blast Fragment Survey and Analysis, United States Navy, Naval Facilities Engineering Service Center (NFESC), Port Hueneme, California, December 11, 1996.
Bakhtar, K., Sagal, E., Begert, M., and Zimmermann, H., Human Response to Blast-Induced Noise and Vibrations, twenty-seventh DOD Explosives Safety Seminar, Department of Defense Explosives Safety Board, Las Vegas, Nevada, August 20 - 22, 1996.
Rytz, H., and Bakhtar, K., Analysis and Documentation of the Mitholz Underground Ammunition Storage Accidental Explosion in Switzerland, twenty-seventh DOD Explosives Safety Seminar, Department of Defense Explosives Safety Board, Las Vegas, Nevada, August 20 - 22, 1996.
Bakhtar, K., and Jenus, J. Jr., Comparison of Full Scale and Scaled Model Tunnel Explosion Test Results, twenty-seventh DOD Explosives Safety Seminar, Department of Defense Explosives Safety Board, Las Vegas, Nevada, August 20 - 22, 1996.
Bakhtar, K., and Swisdak, M., Blast-Induced Fragments from Detonation of Munitions Storage Structures, twenty-seventh DOD Explosives Safety Seminar, Department of Defense Explosives Safety Board, Las Vegas, Nevada, August 20 - 22, 1996.
Bakhtar, K., "Dynamics of Blast-Induced Rock Fragments Based on Physical Modeling at 1-g," Presented at the North American Rock Mechanics Symposium (NARMS), Montreal, Canada, June 19 - 21, 1996.
Bakhtar, K., Sagal, E., and Jenus, J., US Air Force Next Generation Buried UXO Detector, Presented at AMEREM 96, Unexploded Ordnance Detection and Range Remediation, Advanced Weapons and Survivability Directorate, US Air Force Phillips Laboratory, Albuquerque, New Mexico, May 31, 1996.
Bakhtar, K., "Scaling Relationships for Physical Modeling at Normal Gravity - Development of Prediction Equations for Conventional Weapons Effects on Underground Structures," Forsvarets Bygningstjeneste, Fortifikasjonsadelingen, Norwegian Defence Construction Service, Norwegian Ministry of Defence, Oslo, Norway, November 26, 1995.
Bakhtar, K., "Assessment of KLOTZ Tunnel Characteristics in Älvdalen - Sweden," Presented at KLOTZ Annual Meeting, Thun, Switzerland, October 24 - 27, 1995.
Bakhtar, K., "Comparison of Prototype and 1-g Tests for KLOTZ Tunnel Explosion Events" Presented at KLOTZ Annual Meeting, Thun, Switzerland, October 24 - 27, 1995.
Bakhtar, K., "Debris Density - US Navy High Performance Magazine Explosion Event - Certification Test Number 1," Naval Facilities Engineering Service Center, Port Hueneme, California, August 1995.
Bakhtar, K., "Application of Physical Modeling for Performance Assessment of Underground Installations," International Conference Underground Space and Urban Planning Laboratoire "Théorie des Mutations Urbaines," URA CNRS 1244, Institut Français Urbanisme - Université Paris VIII, Paris, France, September 26 - 29, 1995.
Bakhtar, K., "Ground Zero Characterization at Navy High Performance Magazine - China Lake, California," Submitted to the US Air Force, Explosives Hazards Reduction Group, Eglin Air Force Base, Contract No: F08635-92-C-0078 Florida, June 1995.
Bakhtar, K., Kong, F-N., "Detection and Disposal of Buried Bombs," DOD- SBIR Phase I, US Air Force, Contract No: F08626-94-C-0035, February 1995.
Bakhtar, K., and Jenus, J., Jr., "TNT Equivalency and Quantity-Distance at Steingletscher Installation Accident Based on Bakhtar Criteria, United States Air Force, Air Force Weapons, Range and Air Base Office, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, March 1995.
Bakhtar, K., "Performance Assessment of Underground Munitions Storage Facility Based on Physical Material Modeling at 1-g," United States Air Force, Air Force Operability Systems Management Office, Contract No: F08635-92-C-0078, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, August 22, 1994.
Bakhtar, K., "Prediction of Fragment Range for Responding Magazines Based on the Bakhtar Safety Criteria," 26th Explosives Safety Seminar, U. S. Department of Defense, Miami, Florida, August 16 - 18, 1994.
Rytz, H., Kummer, P., Jenus, J., and Bakhtar, K., "Investigation of the Accident at the Swiss Steingletscher Installation," 26th Explosives Safety Seminar, U. S. Department of Defense, Miami, Florida, August 16 - 18, 1994.
Dutch, D., Bakhtar, K., and Stewart, D., "Automated Mapping of Fragments in MSM Test at UTTR," 26th Explosives Safety Seminar, U. S. Department of Defense, Miami, Florida, August 16 - 18, 1994.
Bakhtar, K., "Ground Zero Characterization at UTTR Air Force Munitions Module Test Site," Air Force Operability Systems Management Office, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, July 1994.
Bakhtar, K., "Tunneling in Weak Rocks," Presented at The First North American Rock Mechanics Symposium, NARSM, The university of Texas at Austin, June 1 - 3, 1994.
Bakhtar, K., "Site Inspection and Seismic Load Response Evaluation of Santa Susana Tunnel," Submitted to Calleguas Municipal Water District, Simi Valley, California, January 1994.
Bakhtar, K., "Site Characterization for Underground Munitions Magazines," American Defense Preparedness Association, Insensative Munitions Technology Symposium, Williamsburg, Virginia, June 6 - 9, 1994.
Bakhtar, K., "Steingletscher Installation Accident - TNT Equivalency Based on the Bakhtar Criteria," United States Air Force, Air Force Material Command, Aeronautical Systems Center, Eglin Air Force Base, ASC-TR-94-1015, Florida, March 1994. March 1994.
Bakhtar, K., and J. Jenus, Jr., "Characterization of Geologic and Engineered Systems at KLOTZ Tunnel Explosion Site Älvdalen, Sweden," United States Air Force, Air Force Material Command, Aeronautical Systems Center, Eglin Air Force Base, ASC-TR-94-7014, Florida, March 1994.
Bakhtar, K., "Quantity-Distance Scenario Verification Based on 1-g Modeling," NATO KLOTZ Meeting, Royal Swedish Fortification Administration, Stockholm, Sweden, October 18 - 26, 1993.
Bakhtar, K., Khodaverdian, M., and Zheng, Z., "Laboratory Rock Testing Results - Devil's Gate Dam Pasadena, California," Revised Final Report, Bakhtar Associates, Contract No: KW1433-1-1644-2291, Harza Kaldveer for Los Angeles County, Department of Public Works, June 1993.
Bakhtar, K., "United States Air Force Test Program - Scaled Model Test For Underground Storage of Munitions," Presented at Fifth Tri-Service Symposium on Explosives Testing, White Oakes Detachment, Dahlgren Division/Naval Surface Warfare Center, Silver Spring, Maryland, April 14 - 15, 1993.
Bakhtar, K., "Engineering Design and Technical Specifications - The Nelson Tunnel," La Jolla, California. City of San Diego, San Diego, California, February 1993.
Bakhtar, K., Summers, D. A., and Inyang, H. I., "A Note on Physical Modeling Approach for Assessment of Excavation Techniques," International High Level Waste Management Conference, American Nuclear Society, Las Vegas, Nevada, April 26 - 30, 1993.
Bakhtar, K., "Theory of Material Scaling Law and Its Application in Model Testing at 1-g, U.S. Air Force, Eglin Air Force Base, Contract No: F08635-92-C-0078, ASC-TR-93-1005, April 1993.
Bakhtar, K., "An Innovative Approach to Assess Quantity-Distance," Presented at Department of Defense 25th Explosive Safety Seminar, Anaheim California, August 18 - 20, 1992.
Bakhtar, K., "Technical Specifications and Calculations for CWP North City Tunnel Connector -30% Design Milestone," Greater San Diego Clean Water Program, San Diego, California, May 1992.
Bakhtar, K., "Physical Modeling of Gravity and Inertia Forces for Scale-Model Tunnel Explosion Tests," Presented at Air Force Safety Agency, Explosives Safety Division, Norton Air Force Base, California, January 30, 1992.
Bakhtar, K., "Art of Underground Engineering," Presented at TRW, Yucca Mountain Project Office, Las Vegas, Nevada, January 31, 1992
Bakhtar, K., "Rock Mechanics for Design of Tunnels, "The Bulletin of the Association of Engineering Geologists, Engineering Geology in Southern California, Long Beach, California, 1992.
Bakhtar, K., "Development of Safety Criteria for Explosive Storage Structures,"
United States Air Force, Air Force Operability Systems Management Office, Contract No.: F08635-C-0187, Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, December 1991.
Bakhtar, K., Martin, W., Dietl, B., and P. Byrnes, "Ground Stabilization in Shallow Depth Soft Ground Tunneling", Special Session, Annual Convention, American Society of Civil Engineers, Orlando, Florida, October 20-24, 1991.
Crewdson, R.A., Martin, W., Taylor, D., and K Bakhtar, "An Evaluation of the Technology and Economics of Extracting Energy from Magma Resources for Electrical Power Generation", Submitted to the California Energy Commission, County of Mono, Energy Management Department, Mammoth Lake, California, March, 1991.
Bakhtar, K., "Classification of Rocks for Engineering Design", Presented at the Association of Engineering Geologist, Southern California Section, January 8, 1991.
Bakhtar, K., "Tunneling Projects Under Major Roadways", Presented at the Environmental Management, County of Orange, Santa Ana, California, May, 1991.
Bakhtar, K., "Tunnel Load Response", North Outfall Replacement Sewer", Submitted to CRSS Constructors, Playa Del Rey, California, 1991.
Bakhtar, K. and F. Bakhtar. "Application of Double Scale Physical Modeling in Geomechanics," Third International Conference on Constitutive Laws for Engineering Materials: Theory and Applications and Workshop on Innovative Use of Materials. University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, January 7-12, 1991.
Bakhtar, K. "Settlement Analysis Under Jacked Steel Casing Foundation at the County of Orange Golf Cart Tunnel," Submitted to Department of Transportation, State of California, November 1990.
Bakhtar, K. "Analysis of Excavation Induced Ground Deformation at the Proposed County of Orange Golf Cart Tunnel," The Irvine Company, Submitted to the Department of Transportation, State of California, August, 1990.
Bakhtar, K. "A Note on Yucca Mountain Rock Mass Deformation and Subsequent Impact on Hydraulic Conductivity - Application of Physical Modeling for Site Performance Assessment," Presented at U.S. Department of Energy, Yucca Mountain Project Office, Las Vegas, Nevada, June 8, 1990.
Bakhtar, K., T. Zahra and D. Chitty. "Shear Strength of Rock Joints Reinforced with Flexible Bolts Based on Physical Modeling," Proceedings of International Conference on Rock Joints, Leon, Norway, 4-6 June 1990.
Bakhtar, K. "Response of Subsurface Scale Model Structures in Fluid Saturated Fractured Media to Free-Field Nuclear Detonation," SBIR Phase I, Defense Nuclear Agency, Contract No. DNA001-88-C-0190, Washington, D.C., December 1989.
Zahra, T.F., and K. Bakhtar. "Subscale Testing and Analysis of Rockbolted Tunnels in Jointed Media," Defense Nuclear Agency, Contract DNA 001-88-C-0172, Washington, D.C., May 1989.
Bakhtar, K. "Study to Determine the Relationship Between the Use of Explosives and Ground Subsidence in the Reserve Mines Area of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia," Nova Scotia Department of Environment, Nolan Davis and Associates, Nova Scotia Canada, September 1989.
Bakhtar, K. "Response of Subsurface Scale-Model Structures in Fluid Saturated Fractured Media to Simulated Free-Field Nuclear Detonation," Initial Report on Material Characterization, Defense Nuclear Agency, Contract DNA 001-88-C-0190, Washington, D.C., April 1989.
Bakhtar, K. "Rock Mechanics at Tunnel Explosion Test Site," Norwegian Defense Construction Service, Norwegian Ministry of Defense, Oslo, Norway, January 1989.
Bakhtar, K. "Simulation of Tunnel Explosion Test Based on Physical Modeling," White Paper, Explosive Safety Board, Department of Defense, Washington, D.C., November 1988.
Bakhtar, K. and M.Y. Ito. "Response of Near Surface Hardened-Model Structures to Conventional Munitions," Technical Note, Defense Nuclear Agency, Department of Defense, Washington, D.C., September 1988.
Bakhtar, K. "Rock Mass Characterization at Tunnel Explosion Test Site, U.S. Naval Weapons Center," Chief Office of Testing and Development, Norwegian Defense Construction Services, Oslo, Norway, August 16, 1988.
Bakhtar, K. "Fracture Characterization," Petroleum Engineering Seminar, Department of Petroleum Engineering, University of Southern California, August 3, 1988.
Bakhtar, K., H. R. Hardy Jr., A.M. Richardson, and M. J. Mrugala. "Experimental Results and Modeling of Long-Term Creep Behavior of Rock Salt," 29th U.S. Symposium of Rock Mechanics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, June 13-15, 1988.
Harris, J., K. Bakhtar and K. Wilson. "Three-Dimensional Models of Flow Through Fractures and Layered Equivalent Porous Media: A Comparison Based on Methods for Ground Water Flow and Radioactive Transport," Modeling Conference, San Francisco, California, September 1987.
Bakhtar, K. "Influence of Material Properties of Coarse Aggregates on Static and Dynamic Load Response of High-Strength Concrete," Structural Engineering Seminar, Civil Engineering Department, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, May 1987.
Bakhtar, K. "Rock Core Thermophysical Property Evaluation," Boeing Aerospace Company, Contract No. 526-10007, July 1987.
Bakhtar, K., A.H. Jones and M.A. Reed. "Physical Modeling of Complex Underground Structures," presented at 28th U.S. Symposium of Rock Mechanics, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, June 29-July 1, 1987.
Bakhtar, K. "Physical Modeling at Constant g," presented at Second International Conference on Constitutive Laws for Engineering Materials; Theory and Application, University of Arizona, Tucson, January 5-10, 1987.
Bakhtar, K. "Evaluation of Blast Effects on Model Underground Structures," Civil Engineering Research Seminar, Air Force Weapons Laboratory, Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico, September 12, 1986.
Bakhtar, K. "Quasi-Static and Dynamic Response of Large Scale Rock Joints," presented at Large Rock Caverns, Proceedings of the International Symposium, Helsinki, Finland, August 25 -28, 1986.
Bakhtar, K. and N. Barton. "In-Situ Rock Deformability Tests at Rocky Mountain Pumped Hydro Project," presented at 27th U.S. Symposium on Rock Mechanics, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, June 23-25, 1986.
Bakhtar, K., A.H. Jones and R.E. Cameron. "Use of Rock Simulator for Rock Mechanics Studies," presented at 27th U.S. Symposium on Rock Mechanics Studies, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, June 23-25, 1986.
Bakhtar, K. and A.H. Jones. "Scaled Model Testing of Tunnel Intersection and Large Cavity," Defense Nuclear Agency Strategic Structures Division, Contract DNA 001-84-C-0435, Washington, D.C., June 1986.
Bakhtar, K. "Material Modeling," Presentation at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory on Blasting, May 1986.
Bakhtar, K. "Preliminary Results of DNA/Advanced Silo Hardness Concrete Testing Program," Defense Nuclear Agency, Terra Tek Report, November 1985.
Bakhtar, K., A. Black, B.G. DiBona and S.J. Green. "Static and Dynamic Testing of Plain and Reinforced Concrete for Hardened Silo Design," Defense Nuclear Agency, Strategic Structures Division, Contract DNA 001-84-C-0110, Washington, D.C., October 1985.
Bakhtar, K. and G. DiBona. "Dynamic Loading Experiments on Model Underground Structures," Defense Nuclear Agency, Strategic Structures Division, Contract DNA 001-84-C-0144, Washington, D.C., October 1985.
Green, S.J., W. Klauber, A. Black and K. Bakhtar. "High Strain Rate Response of NTS Tuff," Third Symposium on Containment of Underground Nuclear Explosions, Idaho Operations Office of the Department of Energy, Idaho Falls, Idaho, September 9-13, 1985.
Bakhtar, K., A. Black and R.E. Cameron. "Load Response of Modelled Underground Structures," The 26th U.S. Symposium on Rock Mechanics, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City, SD, June 1985.
Bakhtar, K., A. Black and R.E. Cameron. "Dynamic Loading Experiments on Model Underground Structures," Defense Nuclear Agency, Strategic Structures Division, Contract No. 001-84-C-0144, interim report with tabulated detailed data, May 1985.
Bakhtar, K., A. Black, B.G. DiBona and S.J. Green. "Static and Dynamic Test Results on High Strength Concrete for Hardened Silo Design," Defense Nuclear Agency, Strategic Structures Division, May 1985.
Bakhtar, K., N.R. Barton, K. Rakop and A.H. Jones. "Modeling Fracture Permeability Around a Well During Depletion," Society of Petroleum Engineers, 55th Annual California Regional Meeting, Bakersfield, California, March 1985.
Bakhtar, K. "Large Scale Behavior of Rock Joints," Ph.D. Dissertation in Rock Mechanics, University of Utah, Mining Engineering Department, 1985.
Bakhtar, K., A. Black, B.G. DiBona, and S.J. Green. "Static and Dynamic Testing of Plain and Reinforced Concrete for Hardened Silo Design," Defense Nuclear Agency, Strategic Structures Division, TR-85-31, September 1984.
Barton, N., S. Bandis and K. Bakhtar. "Strength, Deformation and Conductivity Coupling of Rock Joints," Norwegian Geotechnical Institute Publication, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Science, August 1984.
Bakhtar, K. and N. Barton. "Large-Scale Static and Dynamic Friction Experiments," Presented at 25th U.S. Symposium in Rock Mechanics, Northwestern University, June 1984.
Bakhtar, K. "State-of-the-Art Review on Properties of High Strength Concrete," TRE 84-11, Defense Nuclear Agency, Strategic Structures Division, May 1984.
Bakhtar, K. and R. Lingle. "Evaluation of Ultrasonics Data from the Heated Block Tests," Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado, Department of Energy, April 1984.
Bakhtar, K. "Derivation of Similitude Conditions Based on Stress Equation of Motion," Progress Report Submitted to Defense Nuclear Agency, Strategic Structures Division, Contract No: DNA001-84-C-0144, Washington, D.C., March 1984.
Bakhtar, K. and N. Barton. "Large-Scale Dynamic Joint Friction Testing for Improved Prediction of Block Motion and Tunnel Hardening," Defense Nuclear Agency, Contract DNA 001-82-C-0253, Department of Defense, Washington, D.C., January 1984.
Barton, N., K. Bakhtar, S. Woodhead and D. Bush. "Joint Characterization and Modeling at NTS G Tunnel," Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, New Mexico, December 1983.
Barton, N., K. Bakhtar and S. Bandis. "Rock Joint Description and Modeling for Prediction of Repository Performance," Materials Research Society, Symposium D - Scientific Basis for Nuclear Waste Management, Boston, MA, November 1983.
Lingle, R., K. Bakhtar and N. Barton. "Extraordinary Instrumentation Application", International Symposium, Field Measurements in Geomechanics, Zurich, Switzerland, September 1983.
Barton, N. and K. Bakhtar. "Bolt Design Based on Shear Strength," International Symposium on Rock Bolting, Abisco, Sweden, July 1983.
Hardy, H.R., K. Bakhtar, M. Mrugala and E.J. Kimble Jr. "Development of Laboratory Facilities and Techniques for Evaluating the Mechanical Properties of Salt," Proceedings, First Conference on Mechanical Properties of Salt, ed. by H. R. Hardy, Jr., and M. Langer, Trans Tech Publication, Series on Rock and Soil Mechanics, v. 8, 1983.
Barton, N. and K. Bakhtar. "Development of Joint Behavior Computer Model," CANMET Mining Research Laboratories, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, July 1983.
Barton, N., D. Bush and K. Bakhtar. "Geotechnical Validation of Pre-Dug Backfield Egress Concept," Bureau of Mines, U.S. Department of Interior, July 1983.
Barton, N. and K. Bakhtar. "Instrumentation and Analysis of a Deep Shaft in Quartzite," 24th U.S. Symposium on Rock Mechanics, Texas A&M University, June 1983.
Barton, N., K. Bakhtar and A. Abou-Sayed. "Underwater Resistance of Soft Rocks to Chipping Due to Shear Permeability Coupling Along the Chips's Fracture Surface," Delft Hydraulic Laboratory, The Netherlands, 1983.
Barton, N. and K. Bakhtar. "Rock Joint Description and Modeling for the Hydrothermomechanical Design of Nuclear Waste Repository," CANMET Mining Research Laboratories, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, April 1983.
Bakhtar, K. and N. Barton. "Plate Load Testing at the Rocky Mountain Pumped Hydro Project," Southern Company Services, Inc., Birmingham, Alabama, March 1983.
Barton, N., K. Bakhtar, M. Khodaverdian, S. Woodhead and D. Soss. "Instrumentation and Evaluation of the 5191 Foot Level of the Silver Shaft," Report to U.S. Bureau of Mines, Spokane Mining Research Center, July 1982.
Hardy, H.R. Jr., K. Bakhtar, A.J. Campos, C.R. Chabannes, A.W. Khair, E.J. Kimble, A. Mangolds, M. Mrugala, S.G. Punwani, A.M. Richardson and D.A. Roberts. "Theoretical and Laboratory Studies Relative to the Design of Salt Caverns for the Storage of Natural Gas," American Gas Association, Pipeline Research Committee, 1982.
Bakhtar, K. "Evaluation of Dynamic Response of Single Piles Using Centrifuge Modeling," M.Sc. Thesis in Civil Engineering, Structures and Mechanics Division, Princeton University, 1981.
Bakhtar, K. "Free Vibration of Pile by Centrifuge Modeling," Civil Engineering Department, Princeton University, 1980.
Dutch, D., and Bakhtar, K., “Fragment Recovery Using GPS and Automated Mapping Technique,” 28th Department of Defense Explosive Safety Seminar, Orlando, Florida, August 18-20, 1998.
Prevost, J.H., K. Bakhtar and R. Rowland. "Vertical Penetration of Marine Pipelines," Civil Engineering Department, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, 1980.
Bakhtar, K. "Modification of Yield Surface for Salt Under Triaxial Loading Conditions," Civil Engineering Department, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, 1980.
Bakhtar, K. "Development of Long-Term Triaxial Creep Testing Facility," Internal Report RML-RI/79-5, Geomechanics Section, Department of Mineral Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 1979A.
Bakhtar, K. "Detailed Creep Data in Salt Under Standard and Incremental Uniaxial Stress Conditions," Internal Report RML-RI/70/6, Geomechanics Section, Department of Mineral Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 1979B.
Bakhtar, K. and M. Mrugala. "Detailed Creep Data for Salt - Part 2," Internal Report RML-RI/79-39, Geomechanics Section, Department of Mineral Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 1979C.
Bakhtar, K. "Development of Long-Term Creep Testing Facilities for Evaluation of Inelastic Behavior of Salt," M.Sc. Thesis in Mining Engineering, Geomechanics Division, Pennsylvania State University, 1979D.
Bakhtar, K. "Strength of Rock Salt Under Triaxial Loading Conditions," Progress Report for AGA, Geomechanics Section, Department of Mineral Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 1978.
Bakhtar, K. "Review of Theories and Associated Equations Applicable to the Creep Behavior of Salt," Internal Report RML-IR/77-29, Pennsylvania State University, August 1977.

ping

Apr 6, 2005
Vancouver BC
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not trying to dis-credit you at all. You proposed that this technology works for marine applications, and I'm just asking you to explain the operating principles behind it, since you claim that you are unable to release scientific publications based on it. If it works, then - yes - I do indeed have a series of commercial applications for it.

However, you must be able to defend challenges to your claims. That's how scientific inquiry works, yes?

So, I would *politely* ask you to clarify.

1. Your precise definition of "Forced Resonance" as it applies to this technology
2. What exactly are you forcing into resonance?

You can be technical if you want. I have a graduate degree in physics, as well as one in EE.

w.r.t. your publication listing

Bakhtar, K, and Sagal, E., “Underwater Mine Detection at Coronado Island Using US Air Force EarthRadar,” Submitted to US Navy EODGRUEONE, Coronado, San Diego, California, May 4, 2001

This publication is of great interest to me. I did a search and could not find it anywhere. Could you provide a URL for this paper?

Many Thanks
P

ping

Apr 6, 2005
Vancouver BC
Ok, read the paper.

So what you are talking about is a Ground Penetrating Radar, utilizing a swept frequency modulation from 800Mhz - 16Ghz (also known as 'chrip' in the sonar world), with a cross-correlation to de-chirp the signal to provide improved temporal resolution.

Without mentioning any of the conclusions made in the paper.

1. No mention of 'forced resonance' was made in the paper
2. The system is based on conventional EM emissions, albeit 'chirped' ones, to improve temporal resolution

In this form, the technology will not work underwater.

P.

OP
OP
D

davidbakhtar

Jun 28, 2007
Hi Ping,
The 2001 Defense Analyses Report referred to is 7 years old. There have been ample demonstrations of the technology since then and I repeat to all, for the fourth time, that anyone with a serious project is welcome to contact us directly to arrange third-party verification. I believe the publication about which you inquired is Navy classified.
To answer your other questions, following are some remarks by Dr. Bakhtar:

A NOTE ON BakhtarRadar FOR EARTH – OCEAN AND OCEAN-FLOOR INTERROGATION

By: Dr. Khosrow Bakhtar, ARSM, PE

Bakhtar Associates

It is generally accepted that transmission of electromagnetic energy based on “radar” principle onto geologic system (ground and sea-floor) and acquisition of backscattered energy for sub-surface mapping is limited to few meters due to signal attenuation. This widely accepted hypothesis is now ruled out with the invention of the “forced-resonance” concept developed by Khosrow Bakhtar (Sr. Scientist with Bakhtar Associates) for ground and sea-bed interrogation. The technique is by far more applicable to sea-floor, due to reasons which will be discussed in person with interested parties, although modification of the “identified” antennae design parameters should enable its application to land interrogation for similar depths. The technical issues overcame with the invention of “forced-resonance technique” are those that highlight BakhtarRadar ability to work at greater depth in excess of hundreds of meters or more. It is important to understand that at greater depth (km or more) the electromagnetic energy tends to couple with the existing magnetic field of the ocean floor eservoir rather than propagating, but should still provide backscattered signal of strong enough magnitude for estimation of depth to the a potential target (upper boundary) and discriminate between its contents. Return signal can potentially be used to differentiate between intrinsic material properties within the anomaly of interest, i.e. at greater depth reflection at water-ocean floor interface is by far stronger, it follows by the weak signal received from buried potential targets. Scaling functions and utilization of Bakhtar-Statistical-Trace-per-Screen (BSTS) digital filter can be used for magnitude of signal intensity calibration leading to characterization of a potential buried target beneath ocean floor and its contents.

Test bed interrogation can be performed using land- or marine-based moving platforms pulling a pair of “forced-resonating,” adaptive, EM hardened and environmentally shielded dipole antennae. Losses at interfaces can be minimized by (i) better ground-coupling of the antennae for land interrogation; and (ii) immersing the antennae at single/multiple/fraction of the calculated “averaged” wavelength into the water for sea-bed interrogation. Notice in here we are talking about average wavelength, referring to radar wave not necessarily be pure sinusoidal (steady state conditions), under the forced resonance conditions, although academically speaking any wave form can be represented by series combination of sine and cosine functions of (Α, ω, and φ). Data acquisition of BakhtarRadar is triggered via a high resolution GPS which is also used for location identification. The radar trace numbers are synchronized with GPS coordinates facilitating the ease of coordinate transformation to the depth at which a potential target is detected and enable volumetric image reconstruction and 4-dimensional visualization of the target upper boundary that I am referring to as the “envelope.” Depth estimation/calculation is done using a unique method developed and is referred to as the non-idealistic “Rosette” computation by accounting for the signal return in nanoseconds from different depths. It is non-idealistic because conducting such tests and calculations in open sea with turbulent water or land with surface roughness can not be done with centimeter accuracy and it is only possible as a fraction of the averaged wavelength in meters.

FORCED RESONANCE

A new technique developed by Khosrow Bakhtar to design and construct antennae (radiators) to force-resonate extremely low-power (energy) at any operating bandwidth outside their natural (fundamental) frequencies onto any geologic system including saline water and seabed. Extensive experiments conducted by Khosrow Bakhtar proved the ability of these radiators to even overcome “skin” and “Faraday’s cage” effects. This is a significant and contradictory finding with potential applications in many branches of science and engineering. It is the application of this technique that allows transmission of energy to greater depth than anticipated before based on radar principle at low-power. The transmitted energy tends to couple (maybe in a non-linear form of diffusion depending on the characteristics of interface and its contents!) with the earth magnetic field at the ocean-floor upper boundary to enable depth estimation and further characterization of ocean-floor content. It is interesting to note that based on initial modeling and computational studies conducted by Khosrow Bakhtar it appears that (i) the developed technique is capable of transmit/receive EM energy with return time of almost 45000 nanoseconds which assuming an electromagnetic wave speed (EMWS) of 8 cm/nanoseconds translates to a depth of 3.6 km below ocean-floor. The initial calculations was done at an operating frequency band of 1.1 MHz by reducing the noise–floor of transmitter through increasing the step frequency to 201 and raising the Intermediate Frequency (IF) of the processor to 1000 Hz. Modification of antennae, making the physical aperture much longer while maintaining its characteristic impedance and compatibility with other constituent parts, should provide even greater depth of detection. It is also interesting to mention that higher speed of the moving platform during the initial interrogation will result to better signal-to-noise ratio. However, for drilling the potential location should be re-interrogated at much slower speed (less than 0.1 km/hour) under a totally different operating parameters (using the same hardware configuration) to acquire data for volumetric imaging and 4-dimensional visualization of the below sea-floor envelope discrete sections.

DEPTH TO TARGET CALCULATIONS (identical approach for land- and marine-based moving platforms)

It is important to remember that the original Maxwell’s equations which have been the basis for electromagnetic theory at rest do not include frequency terms. The constitutive equations for the media incorporate values of permittivity (ε), permeability (μ), and conductivity (σ). These values may be functions of location and time. However, due to heterogeneity and anisotropic conditions of the geologic materials, they should be represented by tensors such as ε(x, y, z, t); μ(x, y, z, t); and σ(x, y, z, t) – in a coordinate system. These parameters can be written in terms of frequency by writing equations strictly applicable to the “steady state” in which generality of Maxwell’s theory will be lost. Such equations may be useful for applications like power transmission in which the interest is in power and energy and not “cause” and “effect.” In signal transmission the interest is in the detectable portion of the energy not on the energy itself. In order to calculate the depth to a potential target envelope one must account for the return time, bouncing off at interfaces/layers, with continuously changing electromagnetic impedance and notable signal intensity for deterministic estimation of a non-linear equation representing the electromagnetic wave speed (EMWS) as a function of depth within the heterogeneous and anisotropic volume of the test bed. Using BakhtarRadar approach by calculating the EMWS test bed is completely characterized without accounting for permittivity, permeability, and conductivity parameters listed before.

TARGET IDENTIFICATION

The return signal from a potential buried/submerged anomaly boundary will be much weaker than the signal transmission or cross-talk between antennae ports. In order to highlight the weaker signal at great depth a Linear Scaling Function is applied to the return signal. The resultant is then passed through BSTS filter which provide a threshold window allowing acquired signal to be characterized based on its material “make-up,” i.e., metal, wood, organic matter, water, gas, and oil and mask unwanted (clutter and noise) portion. Further calibration should allow discrimination between target of interest and rest of contents.

VOLUMETRIC IMAGING AND 4-DIMENSIONAL VISUALIZATION

When using BakhtarRadar for land or seabed interrogation at great depth, signal magnitude information from a two-dimensional cross-section (radar profile) can at times be enhanced to effectively identify an interface and its underlying contents. However, a two dimensional cross-section of a discrete portion with irregular shape, or whose orientation is severely skewed in relation to the antennae directivity may not disclose sufficient information on potential target for subsequent drilling. Additional images of signal magnitude at different antennae orientations may be required for interface identification. Each two dimensional view can then be assembled into a global coordinate frame to yield a volumetric reconstruction of the signal magnitude for 4-dimensional visualization of the target. This resulting reconstruction should clearly indicate the target’s true conditions and potential choice for drilling location.

REMARKS

A general discussion on BakhtarRadar technology is presented in the preceding paragraphs. Their merits will be elaborated upon to interested parties with series applications - where possible with supportive test results from actual experiments conducted by the inventor (Khosrow Bakhtar). The subject technology is at its mature state and the Treasure Hunting Community (THC) requirements can be implemented for land and sea-floor interrogation in an expeditious manner. It is anticipated that with the implementation of the THC requirements into the already existing platform a unique, cost-effective, portable and user friendly land and seabed interrogator can be made available to support field exploration. By conducting necessary characterization and calibration tests there is a high probability to enhance the overall capability of the system for almost “real-time” target depth detection and characterization of its contents.

ping

Apr 6, 2005
Vancouver BC
Dear David;

Many thanks for the lively debate on this topic.

I remain skeptical, however still interested. I will be away for a week on holidays, but I'd like to resume this discussion upon my return.

Incidentally, I may be interested in evaluating this for one of my clients. If this does work, then I would be happy to provide an introduction at a senior management level. My client is an international incorporation that is extremely well established in the marine technology industry. I can provide more information if I am convinced the technology as described works.

For the purposes of evaluation I will need to be personally convinced, so I will not accept a 'third party evaluation' for the obvious reasons of credibility. Any evaluation must be done directly by myself, or a party designated by myself.

If you are interested in proceeding under this template, please feel free to respond.

Many Thanks.
P.

OP
OP
D

davidbakhtar

Jun 28, 2007
Hi Ping, and thanks for your note. By "third party verification," I meant independent corroboration of our credibility by sources you will respect whom I am not at liberty to name in a public forum. At the same time, in fact, as a prerequisite to that, we are happy to talk directly with you to satisfy all further questions. Please email me privately with your contact info and I'll arrange a phone conversation between you and Dr. Bakhtar.
Regards,
David
[email protected]

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
HISTORY ON THE NET.
Hold on everyone.
I TOALLY AGREE WITH SWR. ::) ::)
Question:
How can anyone offer for sale anything that is CLASSIFIED by a Government Agency.
The photo shows that is a piece of U.S. AIR FORCE equipment.
Lets get real here.
Peg leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread