Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PACIFIC GEOGRAPHIC SOCIETY has requested a permit for the search of historical shipwrecks in Colombian territorial waters. Their application is now under consideration with the Ministry of Culture. They are mostly interested in the Serranillas and Bajo Nuevo areas, presumably in search of the 1605 fleet.

OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you Marine Archaeology Int. Do you know if the Colombian govt is giving permits to search for historical shipwrecks?

Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are. It is a long and arduous process though, as Webber, who has just been denied his permit, can testify. PGS application apparently run into trouble due to an episode in 1995 when a lieutenant from the Colombian navy was left behind by the expedition in the Serranilla Banks.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Memories of those two places now fill my mind.
Don.......
While those memories are filling your mind, Don, I'll ask you to share some of them. I have always wondered what would it take to mount an effort out there on the Banks? Serrana, Seranilla, Baja Nuevo, Pedro, Rosa Linda Bank, Alice Shoal, they've almost all got a story or ten to tell. I've heard some first hand reports from folks in the import/export business and had a couple of discussions over drinks at Outriggers with a closed mouth amigo with some interest in going back with a metal detector and a boat, and have always wondered.
Would you care to share?

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Due Diligence Checklist for such an 'adventure" should be lengthy.
That transit alone is not like joy riding, island hopping the Bahamas; it's 170 miles of open water where all Hell can break loose; on and off the boat.
The crew should be cross trained and efficient in at least two specialties.
Permission to anchor up in Beacon Key's "harbor" is a must for a small vessel.
Etc.....
Don........

Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of the ongoing dispute between Nicaragua and Colombia, the Colombian Navy regularly patrol now the BN and Serranillas. I would caution anyone going there without clearing customs at San Andres first. I've just heard that few months ago the son of a prominent TH from the Cayman Islands was arrested in Serranillas while diving from his sailboat.
Salvor6, on the issue of PGS, I heard that MENDOZA (sorry no first name), a Colombian citizen that was associated with the 95's season, is now either the principal of the company or the Colombian representative, but cannot confirm for sure. One thing I can confirm is that PGS is going after BN, same as Webber, no Serranillas (apparently that story about finding the San Roque deeply buried in hard soil off Serranillas was not true) .

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Salvor6, I spoke on the phone this morning, with someone that has very creditable contacts in the Colombian Government. He informed me that PGS is going to be denied a salvage contract in Colombia.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salvor6

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for that info Old Man. I know PGS abandoned a member of the Colombian Navy back in 1995 so they are on the $hit list. Marine Archaeology Int. has the best chance of getting a contract.

Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Man, I heard the same thing. Their application is being submitted to the National Shipwreck Commission without, apparently, the blessing of the Ministry of Culture. It doesn't look good, but you never know. BN is attracting all the attention. Serranillas seems to be wide open if anybody is interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread