ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anything found IN A NAVIGABLE WATERWAY made or modified by man, more than 50 years old, belongs to the state. Drop that 1960 Quarter you felon!

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Anything found IN A NAVIGABLE WATERWAY made or modified by man, more than 50 years old, belongs to the state. Drop that 1960 Quarter you felon!

This law makes me a felon if I find my lost High School Ring in a Florida Navigable Waterway and keep it. What kind of Bull is this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This law makes me a felon if I find my lost High School Ring in a Florida Navigable Waterway and keep it. What kind of Bu!!$heet is this?

Aquanaut, not necessarily, I can there are a few words in law that counter that, I can only leave you with that right now, can and will explain later

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So any broads 50+ now belong to the state, whooo hooo! Sorry couldn't resist.

Yeah, anything over 50 years old found on public land which includes the beach, belongs to the state

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This law makes me a felon if I find my lost High School Ring in a Florida Navigable Waterway and keep it. What kind of Bull is this?

John...take heart my friend!! At least we can be sure that our elected officials are on the job and protecting us!! ( from ourselves evidently)

ag

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Dept. of Historic Resources is running a scam operation. They give you a search permit for $1,200. Then one year later after you have magged and plotted the wreck site you give them all your info and ask for an excavation permit. They say "no" and declare your site an aquatic preserve. Then they go there and take everything.

An independent federal grand jury needs to investigate the DHR for fraud, racketeering and grand theft. What will it take to make that happen?

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
If no one knows the site then why not just keep it that way, and take what you want?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Once it is declared an aquatic preserve the marine patrol will watch it like a hawk. It is better to search for a wreck without a permit and if you find something don't say anything.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If no one knows the site then why not just keep it that way, and take what you want?

As agflit stated, you will get caught and may spend some time in jail. Also, they have their' spies trolling the beaches and waters and know who have and who does not have Salvage Permits and salvage rights. This was even the case back in the early 1980's when I took the family to Sebastian Inlet when we were on our way to Charleston, SC to visit my' sister, brother-in-law, nephews and niece. They were there watching and warned me to stay out of the Sand Dunes.

Frank

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
As agflit stated, you will get caught and may spend some time in jail. Also, they have their' spies trolling the beaches and waters and know who have and who does not have Salvage Permits and salvage rights. This was even the case back in the early 1980's when I took the family to Sebastian Inlet back in the early 1980's when we were on our way to Charleston, SC to visit my' sister, brother-in-law, nephews and niece. They were there watching and warned me to stay out of the Sand Dunes.

Frank

I suppose I just do not understand because if no one knows it is there, then who is to say you are not just rec diving. I guess there is more to it than that, but man if the State of Florida knows where every single last lost sunken treasure is, then it sure would be nice to have their clairvoyance in my industry.

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Read the book "Sunken Spanish Treasure Quest" by Richard Joseph Johnson https://www.amazon.com/SUNKEN-SPANISH-TREASURE-Richard-Johnson/dp/1490745742 and you will get a gleam of what the State of Florida and some of it's personnel will resort to to confiscate found treasure often with no contest by the finder or finders.
Frank

Not trying to muck up the waters, but there is something I do not understand here. "Sunken Spanish Treasure Quest" by Richard Joseph Johnson - according to the link provided, is listed in "Literature and Fiction."
I am going to read it either way, but...
It is described as a novel in the Amazon synopsis and listed as his 11th fiction novel in his Amazon biography.
"Spanish Sunken Treasure Quest is the fourteenth titled book by Richard Joseph Johnson and his eleventh fiction novel. His books include a mix of psychological thrillers, horror, mysteries, political intrigue, and exciting tales of adventure. "
Does the author claim somewhere that this is a true story?
I'm not real fond of the way the State of Florida works, but I think we should stay sort of fact-based, or we could be accused of shenanigans too. :)

OP
OP
L

lockdownking

Dec 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will state it again! It is past time trying to work with the State of Florida and it is time to get the U.S. Attorney General and Justice Department involved with investigating the State of Florida's Departments, employees and especially the Archies for Criminal Misconduct when it comes to granting permits to Treasure Salvors, for putting up roadblocks at every step of the process, for circumventing Treasure Salvor's Salvage Rights by notifying Foreign Countries that a find is one of their' long lost ships, for Breach of Contract, for possibly taking under the table payouts and bribes, for possibly taking many of the finds salvaged from Treasure Ships and giving them to Politicians and other entities for favors or political influence or keeping the finds for themselves when they should be cataloged and locked away in the State's Treasury. The State of Florida, it's employees and Archies have a long history of misconduct, on some of which I believe Criminal charges can be brought. It is bad enough that the void I found in the entrance way of the West Martello Towers (a former Civil War Fort) which lead to a cache (three cases I was told) of Civil War Brown Bess Rifles, barrels of Black Powder and other items which were removed from under the Fort and disappeared with the exception of one, which I was told (but can't verify) made it to the Florida Museum but to continue this criminal misconduct even today when Treasure Salvors and their' Investors spend tens to hundreds of millions of dollars a year to research, search and locate valuable and other historic shipwrecks and their' cargo, then get shot down by some new ruling or even the courts that side with the State and/or with Spain or other countries.

Frank
They may have found the ship bit they will never find the real tresure. Two of the chests have been recovered. One made it to the media stream before the state could react, the other never saw the light of the media. There are still many others available in the state but unless you know the path they will only be discovered on occasion and dumb luck. I have stood on the path but cant uncover the rest until Florida gives up the right to treasure hunt on public lands, WMA areas etc.
Its my guess that this wont happen in our lifetime. From what I have seen, items of history are being eroded away back into the sands through rain and salt.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill the book is a work of fiction. None of the characters actually exist. :sadsmiley:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread