Mozambique again.....unexplored shipwrecks

Cablava

May 24, 2005
There are so many ships sank in that part of the world, do you have any pictures of the cannons and anchor. Are the cannons iron, if so put them back in the water along with the anchor or before long you will not have anything left to look at.
Is there any markings on the cannon?
Photographs please.

Here is another thing to look.

Ilha do Fogo Light, Mozambique.

This spectacular skeletal lighthouse was built in 1926 on the Ilha do Fogo, an island off Ponta Matirre northeast of Macuse on the central coast of Mozambique. At 37 meters (131 ft), it was one of the tallest African lighthouses of this type. Most likely it was prefabricated in Europe for assembly on site, but we know nothing of these details. Sadly, it probably does not survive. The modern light on the island is 34 meters tall (111 ft) and is described as a "quadrangular skeleton tower." Other lighthouses of similar description in Mozambique are constructed of prefabricated reinforced concrete beams.

Attachments

• MOZFogo.jpg
    MOZFogo.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 442

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a list of shipwrecks in Zambesi province , if I can find it. There is a similar lighthouse on Anclote Key built in 1887. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• lighthouse.jpg
    lighthouse.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 461
OP
OP
Q

quelimane

i will send pics of the anchor (at the moment have build it in to reastuarant roof )and the new light house at the moment,all welcome to have a nice time on the island , still in the constucting fase, but the basics are there bring your own food, and clothes, and come and have fun....no problem

Cablava

May 24, 2005
This Portuguese ship wrecked at Fogo.

Year: 1644
Ship: Santo António
Captain Amador Lousado
Wrecked at Ilha do Fogo (Angoxa)
Date Aug 25, 1644
Cause unknown

There were many Portuguese ships sank on that coast along with the rest of nations ships, but I am only aware of this ship actually wrecking at Fogo, of course there would be many others .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread