April 18 Discovery’s ‘Cooper’s Treasure’ Sets Out To Uncover Shipwrecks From Space

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He has a sketch of an underwater reef.....not sure where it is....Gordon went to Mexico last....let's go there, fly around looking for something that matches the sketch....dive on something close.....surprise....nada.

Might be an ok show, previews make it look like they find something on a future show, but we have all seen that trick before.

Que the announcer: Sunken ships on earth? Seen from Space? Could these ships hold vast amounts of gold and other treasures? Does NASA know more than they are telling about this special mission?

Hopefully, this will not be as sensationalized as they have made Oak Island but, as has been mentioned, this is a show, and shows require drama, suspense and cliff hangers to obtain and retain veiwers otherwise, the show goes away. Hey, at least they have the treasure site narrowed down to being on earth, ha ha.

Bill

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
he goes to "mexico"where gordo cooper went in the last and finds what he thinks is "the reef" the large iron ship was there as the , map prodicted it would be ,,however the iron cannons and other smaller older shipwreck items weren't there oddly enough -- duh remember what they said out be careful who you tell stuff to? -- remember he "hired" a Mexican boat to take ghim out to the site that he "mapped out" --what do you think the owner of the Mexican boat --once the "gringo" went back to shore / home--he thought to himself --gee I wonder what the gringo wanted atthat site to have me take him out there --likely he and some of his kin oe friends came back to the spot and looted everything they could find --that's why only the large mogern metal wreck was left there ..all the old cannons , easily found items and other old surface things were yanked up and sold off ..LOL

Last edited:

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
he goes to "mexico"where gordo cooper went in the last and finds what he thinks is "the reef" the large iron ship was there as the , map prodicted it would be ,,however the iron cannons and other smaller older shipwreck items weren't there oddly enough -- duh remember what they said out be careful who you tell stuff to? -- remember he "hired" a Mexican boat to take ghim out to the site that he "mapped out" --what do you think the owner of the Mexican boat --once the "gringo" went back to shore / home--he thought to himself --gee I wonder what the gringo wanted atthat site to have me take him out there --likely he and some of his kin oe friends came back to the spot and looted everything they could find --that's why only the large mogern metal wreck was left there ..all the old cannons , easily found items and other old surface things were yanked up and sold off ..LOL

Any experienced diver can recognize that "large iron ship" was a stripped down scuttled artificial reef. This is nothing but fabricated drama. But as is often said, "there's a sucker born every minute". Guess most folks believe whatever appears on the boob tube...

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ahhh...the laws of physics have not changed from 2000 BC to 1963 to 2017.
During the show I do not remember if Cooper was supposed to have gotten all his information during that one flight or if he, being a NASA employee of some note, had access to their aerial photography and whatsoever else they may have been doing. On a clear day in the Caribbean you can sometimes encounter 200' of visibility...you can see bottom in 200 fsw when the sun is high. Imagine you have an extremely high resolution orbiting camera imaging an area every 3 or 4 or 6 hrs every day...one of those days, you're going to get dead clear water when you make your straight overhead pass with the sun at the right angle for a perfect shot as deep as sunlight will penetrate.
>>LIDAR technology was first developed in the early 1960's. LIDAR is now commonly used to do bathymetry.
>>Seasat was doing radar bathymetry in 1978. Here's the description from NASA:
"[FONT=&quot]In Seasat's 106 days of remote sensing, it collected more information about the ocean surface - its primary mission - than had been acquired in 100 years of shipboard research."
[/FONT]
They may have been doing something similar earlier or perhaps Gordon Cooper's information was, indeed, collected over his time at NASA.
Here's where to get that data: https://www-prod.asf.alaska.edu/seasat/
or it could be complete BS.
I don't know. I'll watch and see what develops.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
do you remember billion dollar wreck,this is about the same.just watch the last one. brad

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you remember billion dollar wreck,this is about the same.just watch the last one. brad

lol I was thinking the same.
last one the guy was a killer and they kept jumping back to his life.

this one, my guess they will keep jumping back to him being a greedy ego maniac and
in their opinion a bad father.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched it last night and to my surprise the show was even able to catch the attention of my wife when the mean dad came on the set. She works in the field behavioral sciences​ and she was like Wow! :icon_scratch: with what a major dysfunctional jerk he is... I believe I see the whole plot of this series. For the love of gold, silver or precious gems are the things that can't​ ever love in return like the rekindled love that was lost between a father and a son. That'll be the real treasure to be discovered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched it last night and to my surprise the show was even able to catch the attention of my wife when the mean dad came on the set. She works in the field behavioral sciences​ and she was like Wow! :icon_scratch: with what a major dysfunctional jerk he is... I believe I see the whole plot of this series. For the love of gold, silver or precious gems are the things that can't​ ever love in return like the rekindled love that was lost between a father and a son. That'll be the real treasure to be discovered.

I hope not.

I despise oprah

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh...the laws of physics have not changed from 2000 BC to 1963 to 2017.
During the show I do not remember if Cooper was supposed to have gotten all his information during that one flight or if he, being a NASA employee of some note, had access to their aerial photography and whatsoever else they may have been doing. On a clear day in the Caribbean you can sometimes encounter 200' of visibility...you can see bottom in 200 fsw when the sun is high. Imagine you have an extremely high resolution orbiting camera imaging an area every 3 or 4 or 6 hrs every day...one of th<script id="gpt-impl-0.8841400841651659" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_114.js"></script>ose days, you're going to get dead clear water when you make your straight overhead pass with the sun at the right angle for a perfect shot as deep as sunlight will penetrate.
>>LIDAR technology was first developed in the early 1960's. LIDAR is now commonly used to do bathymetry.
>>Seasat was doing radar bathymetry in 1978. Here's the description from NASA:
"[FONT="]In Seasat's 106 days of remote sensing, it collected more information about the ocean surface - its primary mission - than had been acquired in 100 years of shipboard research."
[/FONT]
They may have been doing something similar earlier or perhaps Gordon Cooper's information was, indeed, collected over his time at NASA.
Here's where to get that data: https://www-prod.asf.alaska.edu/seasat/
or it could be complete BS.
I don't know. I'll watch and see what develops.

This came from a reputable site;

Now retired in Nassau Bay, Texas, Underwood recalled the camera was a
35-mm Questar with a Zeiss 'Contarex' lens. That is a "cataoptic system"
(folded optics), with a foot-long barrel giving "several thousand" mm's of focal
length (Cooper recalls it was 1250mm). Mounted on the spacecraft window,
it was shot at 1/50th of a second at various ground targets passing directly
below the spacecraft.

http://www.jamesoberg.com/area_51_go...ted_camera.pdf

This leads me to believe, if indeed his story is not fabricated and a camera was used, that he was able to identify large ocean reefs. Areas where shipwrecks could occur and he filled in the dots with more research.

Your Bud Aurum

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah if only Mr Cooper was still alive and able to "freely" talk about what he knew

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Thing That got Me. He stated the Papers he had are "Top Secret"
if So.. how can he be waving them around on a TV Show ?
I would think if those papers were that special, they would be taken away from him.

I'm guessing Cooper just marked every Anomaly he saw in the Water while taking Pics. And then Cross referenced them with Ships that sank in the area.
and these are his personal Research.
Not Top Secret Government Documents.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope not.

I despise oprah
Me to. It was her that first shined the spotlight on Obama. I first heard about this up coming show on the mainstream media TV news. It's all in a attempt to build TV ratings imo. I have set the DVR to record the series in hope's it'll entertain me.

Last edited:

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Yup. Absolute bs. Ignoring the silliness of the family drama, the lack of any historical accuracy, and all the other issues that are obvious hallmarks with contrived reality programming (versus a production team actually just following and documenting this guy), I found it most interesting that the supposed Cooper treasure wreck off Melbourne he dived in the second show was actually an artificial reef located off Palm Beach that was sunk decades after Cooper's Mercury flight. Hysterical....
Or perhaps that top secret detection equipment Cooper supposedly had on board could see into the future?! LMAO.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Absolute bs. Ignoring the silliness of the family drama, the lack of any historical accuracy, and all the other issues that are obvious hallmarks with contrived reality programming (versus a production team actually just following and documenting this guy), I found it most interesting that the supposed Cooper treasure wreck off Melbourne he dived in the second show was actually an artificial reef located off Palm Beach that was sunk decades after Cooper's Mercury flight. Hysterical....
Or perhaps that top secret detection equipment Cooper supposedly had on board could see into the future?! LMAO.

I haven watched Last nights episode yet.
Coffee's on . Letting it perk a bit before I sit down in front of the TV & enjoy my first cup. :coffee2:

I believe their "top secret detection equipment" was only top secret, because of the Year
it was invented. My guess Cooper was just looking at the ocean close up, from space.
Marking all Anomalies then Cross Referencing with ships lost in the area.
then deciding that may be it.
and from what I heard on Fox News yesterday. was Pretty close to
what I believe. it was all about satellite images of the ocean and research
on what the anomalies could be. cooper had allot of Time Back then.
and probably the start of the Top secret WWW type research abilities.

remember though. allot of these ships held Billions in Treasure by today's standards.
they only needed to get 1 non spanish Treasure ship Right. but they aren't going to show us the right one till
they need to up viewers :(

They will also believe they found Columbus's Wrecks .
when ? don't know :dontknow: But if they didn't bring it up yet. They will.all he said on them is "You have watch :laughing7: "

Last edited by a moderator:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

1percenter

Oct 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody that knows about finding real treasure knows it either happens with tons of hard work or by accident with most of the time people don't even know what they found.

Relax people. This is made for tv. Have fun with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread