Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: April 18 Discovery’s ‘Cooper’s Treasure’ Sets Out To Uncover Shipwrecks From Space

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    au
    Marty

Sep 2013
    Sydney
    CTX 3030 GPX 5000 Garrett Infinium LS AT Pro AT Gold 45 inch mono Drag Coil
    675 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateLabs View Post
    Where can one watch this show? I have highspeed internet only, no cable tv or anything but I have netflix, youtube, Dailymotion, etc. I can usually find any movie or show that I want to see but, since this just started, it is probably not up anywhere yet. "Gordo" Cooper was always a hero of mine.

Bill
    Extratorrent is my stop for shows i can get. Sadly here in aus alot of these shows are not shown on cable or at least a year or so later. So thats my 1 stop shop

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    PirateLabs likes this.

us
    Jan 2013
    Maryland
    Bounty Hunter
    676 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by TreasureCDave View Post
    My thought after watching episode 1 ....

Somewhere, Gordo did a 180!

No disrespect intended.
    A 180?? Hopefully not in his space suit.

Jul 2012
    Holmes County Ohio
    Tesoro Lobo
    1573 times
    He has a sketch of an underwater reef.....not sure where it is....Gordon went to Mexico last....let's go there, fly around looking for something that matches the sketch....dive on something close.....surprise....nada.

Might be an ok show, previews make it look like they find something on a future show, but we have all seen that trick before.
    PirateLabs likes this.
    Two rules in life: Don't sweat the small stuff.

It's all small stuff.

Charter Member
    us
    Pirate of the Martires

Feb 2005
    Pinellas Park, Florida
    Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
    1209 times
    Shipwrecks
    I tend to agree with Barney. We didn't have the technology to see shipwrecks from a space capsule 150 miles away. And that VLF that Ivan mentioned is certainly not a VLF metal detector. It could be a VLF communication device.

The spy satellites we have now can look underground like the sub-C radar and Lidar. That's how they found that lost city of Ur buried under the sand.
    ropesfish likes this.

us
    Feb 2017
    Kentucky
    Fisher F22 Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    155 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvor6 View Post
    I tend to agree with Barney. We didn't have the technology to see shipwrecks from a space capsule 150 miles away. And that VLF that Ivan mentioned is certainly not a VLF metal detector. It could be a VLF communication device.

The spy satellites we have now can look underground like the sub-C radar and Lidar. That's how they found that lost city of Ur buried under the sand.
    But, remember the mission? It was to locate Nuclear sites right? Well, he had to have something aboard that could do that, be it optics, infrared, or something so maybe he used that on the ship wrecks? They could not be detected from space at that time (The Nukes) so that's out but it may just have been a really good telescope or some other optical device is my guess.

Bill
    Detectorist

us
    Feb 2017
    Kentucky
    Fisher F22 Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    155 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Maven View Post
    He has a sketch of an underwater reef.....not sure where it is....Gordon went to Mexico last....let's go there, fly around looking for something that matches the sketch....dive on something close.....surprise....nada.

Might be an ok show, previews make it look like they find something on a future show, but we have all seen that trick before.
    Que the announcer: Sunken ships on earth? Seen from Space? Could these ships hold vast amounts of gold and other treasures? Does NASA know more than they are telling about this special mission?

Hopefully, this will not be as sensationalized as they have made Oak Island but, as has been mentioned, this is a show, and shows require drama, suspense and cliff hangers to obtain and retain veiwers otherwise, the show goes away. Hey, at least they have the treasure site narrowed down to being on earth, ha ha.

Bill
    Detectorist

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    2759 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    he goes to "mexico"where gordo cooper went in the last and finds what he thinks is "the reef" the large iron ship was there as the , map prodicted it would be ,,however the iron cannons and other smaller older shipwreck items weren't there oddly enough -- duh remember what they said out be careful who you tell stuff to? -- remember he "hired" a Mexican boat to take ghim out to the site that he "mapped out" --what do you think the owner of the Mexican boat --once the "gringo" went back to shore / home--he thought to himself --gee I wonder what the gringo wanted atthat site to have me take him out there --likely he and some of his kin oe friends came back to the spot and looted everything they could find --that's why only the large mogern metal wreck was left there ..all the old cannons , easily found items and other old surface things were yanked up and sold off ..LOL
    Last edited by ivan salis; Apr 20, 2017 at 09:11 PM.
    jeff of pa and Gold Maven like this.

Oct 2006
    FLORIDA
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan salis View Post
    he goes to "mexico"where gordo cooper went in the last and finds what he thinks is "the reef" the large iron ship was there as the , map prodicted it would be ,,however the iron cannons and other smaller older shipwreck items weren't there oddly enough -- duh remember what they said out be careful who you tell stuff to? -- remember he "hired" a Mexican boat to take ghim out to the site that he "mapped out" --what do you think the owner of the Mexican boat --once the "gringo" went back to shore / home--he thought to himself --gee I wonder what the gringo wanted atthat site to have me take him out there --likely he and some of his kin oe friends came back to the spot and looted everything they could find --that's why only the large mogern metal wreck was left there ..all the old cannons , easily found items and other old surface things were yanked up and sold off ..LOL
    Any experienced diver can recognize that "large iron ship" was a stripped down scuttled artificial reef. This is nothing but fabricated drama. But as is often said, "there's a sucker born every minute". Guess most folks believe whatever appears on the boob tube...
    Michael Barnette
    Association of Underwater Explorers
    http://uwex.us

us
    The continuing adventures of Ropesfish -

Jun 2007
    Sebastian, Florida
    A sharp eye, a Fisher 1280X and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
    1001 times
    Shipwrecks
    Ahhh...the laws of physics have not changed from 2000 BC to 1963 to 2017.
    During the show I do not remember if Cooper was supposed to have gotten all his information during that one flight or if he, being a NASA employee of some note, had access to their aerial photography and whatsoever else they may have been doing. On a clear day in the Caribbean you can sometimes encounter 200' of visibility...you can see bottom in 200 fsw when the sun is high. Imagine you have an extremely high resolution orbiting camera imaging an area every 3 or 4 or 6 hrs every day...one of those days, you're going to get dead clear water when you make your straight overhead pass with the sun at the right angle for a perfect shot as deep as sunlight will penetrate.
    >>LIDAR technology was first developed in the early 1960's. LIDAR is now commonly used to do bathymetry.
    >>Seasat was doing radar bathymetry in 1978. Here's the description from NASA:
    "In Seasat's 106 days of remote sensing, it collected more information about the ocean surface - its primary mission - than had been acquired in 100 years of shipboard research."
    They may have been doing something similar earlier or perhaps Gordon Cooper's information was, indeed, collected over his time at NASA.
    Here's where to get that data: https://www-prod.asf.alaska.edu/seasat/
    or it could be complete BS.
    I don't know. I'll watch and see what develops.
    Bill Black
    Search and Salvage "C-31"
    Sebastian, FL
    ropesfish@gmail.com

Subcontractor on the 1715 Plate Fleet
    “You can either be a victim of the world or an adventurer in search of treasure. It all depends on how you view your life.”
    Paulo Coelho, Eleven Minutes

us
    May 2011
    tujunga ca
    xlt mxt gmz whites
    407 times
    do you remember billion dollar wreck,this is about the same.just watch the last one. brad
    Jason in Enid and boogeyman like this.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    21176 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1637 View Post
    do you remember billion dollar wreck,this is about the same.just watch the last one. brad
    lol I was thinking the same.
    last one the guy was a killer and they kept jumping back to his life.

this one, my guess they will keep jumping back to him being a greedy ego maniac and
    in their opinion a bad father.
    Jason in Enid and boogeyman like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    10535 times
    I watched it last night and to my surprise the show was even able to catch the attention of my wife when the mean dad came on the set. She works in the field behavioral sciences​ and she was like Wow! with what a major dysfunctional jerk he is... I believe I see the whole plot of this series. For the love of gold, silver or precious gems are the things that can't​ ever love in return like the rekindled love that was lost between a father and a son. That'll be the real treasure to be discovered.
    Last edited by tamrock; Apr 21, 2017 at 06:55 AM.
    ropesfish likes this.

Charter Member

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... Deteknix Xpointer Diver.... Fisher F19
    21176 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    I watched it last night and to my surprise the show was even able to catch the attention of my wife when the mean dad came on the set. She works in the field behavioral sciences​ and she was like Wow! with what a major dysfunctional jerk he is... I believe I see the whole plot of this series. For the love of gold, silver or precious gems are the things that can't​ ever love in return like the rekindled love that was lost between a father and a son. That'll be the real treasure to be discovered.
    I hope not.

I despise oprah

us
    Jan 2017
    Pennsylvania
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ropesfish View Post
    Ahhh...the laws of physics have not changed from 2000 BC to 1963 to 2017.
    During the show I do not remember if Cooper was supposed to have gotten all his information during that one flight or if he, being a NASA employee of some note, had access to their aerial photography and whatsoever else they may have been doing. On a clear day in the Caribbean you can sometimes encounter 200' of visibility...you can see bottom in 200 fsw when the sun is high. Imagine you have an extremely high resolution orbiting camera imaging an area every 3 or 4 or 6 hrs every day...one of th<script id="gpt-impl-0.8841400841651659" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_114.js"></script>ose days, you're going to get dead clear water when you make your straight overhead pass with the sun at the right angle for a perfect shot as deep as sunlight will penetrate.
    >>LIDAR technology was first developed in the early 1960's. LIDAR is now commonly used to do bathymetry.
    >>Seasat was doing radar bathymetry in 1978. Here's the description from NASA:
    "In Seasat's 106 days of remote sensing, it collected more information about the ocean surface - its primary mission - than had been acquired in 100 years of shipboard research."
    They may have been doing something similar earlier or perhaps Gordon Cooper's information was, indeed, collected over his time at NASA.
    Here's where to get that data: https://www-prod.asf.alaska.edu/seasat/
    or it could be complete BS.
    I don't know. I'll watch and see what develops.
    This came from a reputable site;

Now retired in Nassau Bay, Texas, Underwood recalled the camera was a
    35-mm Questar with a Zeiss 'Contarex' lens. That is a "cataoptic system"
    (folded optics), with a foot-long barrel giving "several thousand" mm's of focal
    length (Cooper recalls it was 1250mm). Mounted on the spacecraft window,
    it was shot at 1/50th of a second at various ground targets passing directly
    below the spacecraft.

http://www.jamesoberg.com/area_51_go...ted_camera.pdf

This leads me to believe, if indeed his story is not fabricated and a camera was used, that he was able to identify large ocean reefs. Areas where shipwrecks could occur and he filled in the dots with more research.

Your Bud Aurum
    ropesfish likes this.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    2759 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    ah if only Mr Cooper was still alive and able to "freely" talk about what he knew

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links