April 18 Discovery’s ‘Cooper’s Treasure’ Sets Out To Uncover Shipwrecks From Space

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cooper’s Treasure premieres April 18 on Discovery.

Yes, COOPER’S TREASURE is a Show About a Space Treasure Hunt

The most important thing you need to know about Discovery‘s new docuseries Cooper’s Treasure is that it is about a space-based treasure hunt, involving a professional treasure hunter searching for a shipwreck using data that Mercury astronaut Gordon Cooper left him. (Yes: NASA Astronaut. Shipwreck. Space. Treasure. Hunt.) And it’s all real.

You see, Darrell Miklos–a professional treasure hunter–was close friends with Cooper. The Original 7 astronaut, who holds the record for the longest solo space flight in U.S. history, meticulously scoured the globe for nuclear sites during one of his key missions. But he also found a ton of shipwrecks, and worked for decades upon his return to create a document with information he hoped would lead to hidden treasure. Miklos inherited the so-called map from his surrogate father figure, and in the new show he attempts to uncover the truth about what Cooper spent his life documenting.

Yes, COOPER?S TREASURE is a Show About a Space Treasure Hunt | Nerdist

Last edited:

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just followed on facebook. Not sure what to make of this new show. But im a treasure buff so ill watch it either way

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds outta this world to me, LOL!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I met astronaut Cooper years ago at the ceremony where another treasure hunter, Dr. Roy Roush, PhD., received his doctorate degree--in Archaeology, no less. I've got a memo in to Roy to see what he knows about the venture. If I hear back, I'll let the board know.
Don......

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is looking pretty interesting. I've been invited to a "Premier watching party" by one of the folks that participated in the show. Watch the show...watch every show...watch every show that has 'treasure hunting' as a theme. Watch and record Billion Dollar Wreck, Cooper's Treasure, Expedition Unknown (which will be having a 1715 episode in the next couple of months), Caribbean Pirate Treasure (coming next fall, I expect), even Oak Island. Help their ratings whenever you can, so the suits behind the shows will recognize that there is an audience desirous of watching this kind of programming.

If I get any insight into the facts behind Cooper's map at the showing, I may share.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well, then. I told you I'd say something about this show
The party was excellent. Wonderful people, good drinks and food including a cake with a 1715 coin baked into it, excellent conversation and we watched the show, too.
Pretty tough audience at this venue, as about half the folks there are past and present salvors with names you would recognize, so the quietly whispered critiques between attendees were pretty entertaining. Everything from diving techniques and metal detecting technique to fantasy physics were being discussed. There were a few surprised looks at some of the statements on camera...well..a lot of the statements on camera.
All in all, we have to remember that this is not to entertain or enlighten the treasure hunting community, this is a SHOW, not a documentary.
This should be interesting, but I don't think it is going to be damaging to the business. I hope I'm right.

A couple of side notes:
If you Google Roger Miklos, you get a real wide variety of results, from this show to his attempts to salvage the Pinta in the T&C as well as the fact that he was the head usher at church in 2015.
keywestumchurch.org/library/122-newsletter-june2015.pdf

and remember this:
"3 elements of every good storyWhile there are other structures, twists, and approaches, good stories boil down to three essential elements:

1. Characters: introduce the people involved. Move past a listing of facts to provide the essence. Explain the context. Reveal emotions. They need to be real and relatable.
  2. Conflict: the lesson is often illustrated in how the character transforms through challenge. It’s not always adversity. Take time to describe what they’re going through. Include emotions, changes in context, and changes in perspective/understanding.
  3. Resolution: how did the character(s) change? It may not be a happy ending. Provide the necessary context and emotion for the audience to make the connection and process the story."

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for the heads up. But your right its a tv show. I think alot of us forget that point. When we get frustrated at the tv like"get to the dam point".
But i think these kind of shows can help the whole treasure scene as a whole. With more interest starting to attract people. New benefits may come of it in different ways. But on the flip side. The negative aspect. More people out there means more competition and such.
But these kind of shows as much as sometimes they do my head in and frustrate me to no end. They all still help feed the dream and idea of that lost haul waiting out there for me

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
imo Dreamers are No Threat.

Especially when it comes to Ship Wreck Salvage.
I'm sure 99.9% of the population of Dreamers Know you can't Dive a Wreck without Years of
Training & tons of Money spent on equipment and preparation.
the one person who is brainless , buys a Scuba Suit on EBay, Rows out & Drowns
is still no threat :tongue3:

Even detecting land Dreamers are little threat.
they run to wallmart, radio shack or Cabela's buy a $150 dollar toy ,
And put it in the closet at the latest when winter comes & are on to a New get rich quick Scheme.

Only the naturally addictive survive

Bud Aurum

Jan 6, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just seen it and looks like an interesting show with added drama.
Only thing I can't grasp is how Cooper's Mercury spacecraft in 1963, could isolate shipwrecks from space and 50+ years later we have advance satellite technology that you would think could do the same.

Your Bud Aurum

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started another thread on this show, and I'm curious what you all think the technology was that Cooper supposedly employed to "scan" the surface of the earth for large metallic bodies? In the show the other night they showed a small area of the Mercury capsule that could have carried this technology. So what was it, given the restraints of technological advancement at the time? Even today, I am not aware of a technology that could scan and detect sunken treasure from orbit. If you have some ideas, I would love to hear them!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more fake drama tv garbage. I lasted 5 minutes before giving up.

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Just seen it and looks like an interesting show with added drama.
Only thing I can't grasp is how Cooper's Mercury spacecraft in 1963, could isolate shipwrecks from space and 50+ years later we have advance satellite technology that you would think could do the same.

Your Bud Aurum

Fabricated rubbish. The show points to the removal of the periscope as potential evidence the capsule was carrying some sort of remote sensing equipment, but totally fails to discuss why the periscope was really removed. Cooper's mission capsule, as well as several others, were modified by McDonnell to support longer missions. Keep in mind, there was a space race going on and there was a desire to match and exceed what the Russians had already done. And that included a mission extending longer than 24 hours. So these modified capsules had additional life-support equipment (extra batteries, oxygen, water, etc.) added to allow for a long mission. They were more than tripling the number of orbits from the previous mission. The idea of the military adding hocus-pocus sensing equipment on only the sixth manned space mission when there already was no extra room in the capsule is beyond absurd. Especially considering the U-2 was the go-to surveillance platform at that time, and if you know anything about the size/weight of that aircraft's camera system and it's performance abilities and optics (at a much, much, much lower altitude) you would understand just how ludicrous this premise is. This does not even get into the issues with how Cooper supposedly geo-referenced his sites traveling around the globe approximately once every 90 minutes.
Points to the show's creators on a decent science-fiction/drama premise, but that's about it...

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where can one watch this show? I have highspeed internet only, no cable tv or anything but I have netflix, youtube, Dailymotion, etc. I can usually find any movie or show that I want to see but, since this just started, it is probably not up anywhere yet. "Gordo" Cooper was always a hero of mine.

Bill

marticus

Sep 16, 2013
NSW
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX 4500
Garrett Infinium LS
45 inch Coil sled mono
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Where can one watch this show? I have highspeed internet only, no cable tv or anything but I have netflix, youtube, Dailymotion, etc. I can usually find any movie or show that I want to see but, since this just started, it is probably not up anywhere yet. "Gordo" Cooper was always a hero of mine.

Bill
Extratorrent is my stop for shows i can get. Sadly here in aus alot of these shows are not shown on cable or at least a year or so later. So thats my 1 stop shop

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He has a sketch of an underwater reef.....not sure where it is....Gordon went to Mexico last....let's go there, fly around looking for something that matches the sketch....dive on something close.....surprise....nada.

Might be an ok show, previews make it look like they find something on a future show, but we have all seen that trick before.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I tend to agree with Barney. We didn't have the technology to see shipwrecks from a space capsule 150 miles away. And that VLF that Ivan mentioned is certainly not a VLF metal detector. It could be a VLF communication device.

The spy satellites we have now can look underground like the sub-C radar and Lidar. That's how they found that lost city of Ur buried under the sand.

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tend to agree with Barney. We didn't have the technology to see shipwrecks from a space capsule 150 miles away. And that VLF that Ivan mentioned is certainly not a VLF metal detector. It could be a VLF communication device.

The spy satellites we have now can look underground like the sub-C radar and Lidar. That's how they found that lost city of Ur buried under the sand.

But, remember the mission? It was to locate Nuclear sites right? Well, he had to have something aboard that could do that, be it optics, infrared, or something so maybe he used that on the ship wrecks? They could not be detected from space at that time (The Nukes) so that's out but it may just have been a really good telescope or some other optical device is my guess.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread