jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you might be on to something Jeff. If this show is staged for ratings, that would be a total letdown.

I didn't see anything about a finale? What I do hate is how DC decides to add shows together, call it a new episode when in fact it is just the last 2 weeks combined. My DVR has like 13 episodes on it?!?! I believe they have had only like 5 shows...

Don't really like Darrel or his dad. I do like the underwater detecting! Looks so cool!

Yes I delete those "enhanced" BS Shows.
Even when they say additional Footage, it's probably only 30 Seconds of cutting room floor crap.

I'm no Columbus Fan, so that takes away slightly from my enjoyment.
I Don't give 1 flying fig about him or his ships. and I find it odd anyone would TreasureHunt for Spain. & That's what it would amount to.
If they find Treasure, Spain will most likely Claim it.

But I am generally enjoying the show, even though I feel things must be somewhat staged
just to be sure in advance they are not just filming water & egos :tongue3:

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I delete those "enhanced" BS Shows.
Even when they say additional Footage, it's probably only 30 Seconds of cutting room floor crap.

I'm no Columbus Fan, so that takes away slightly from my enjoyment.
I Don't give 1 flying fig about him or his ships. and I find it odd anyone would TreasureHunt for Spain. & That's what it would amount to.
If they find Treasure, Spain will most likely Claim it.

But I am generally enjoying the show, even though I feel things must be somewhat staged
just to be sure in advance they are not just filming water & egos :tongue3:

Yea those enhanced shows are a waste of time... delete them all!
Not into Columbus either... he didn't even discover America! I could keep going on but I will stop there.

I had heard about Spain and them taking the treasure you find... no thanks! It's mine!!
The Gordo cut scenes and the underwater detecting is mainly what I watch.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here is the area they are filming in. You can zoom in, zoom out, look around and be sure to click the circle in the lower LH corner of the screen and zoom in to see the best depth lines. Note all the anchorages...they have been used since there were boats for just that purpose.
https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@10&key=w`gcCdmeyL

Google Earth location: 21° 40.375' N 72° 27.324' W

TreasureCDave

Jun 5, 2015
Florida Treasure Coast
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I stand by my earliest statements that Gordan Copper never saw these locations (minus ballast) from space. "that's all i have to say about that"

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Where does the anchor "point"?

When James Sinclair (who I would never have recognized without his beard if they didn't ID him on the show) said the "shank" was probably pointing to the wreck, I couldn't reconcile that with what we saw.

The trench could've snagged the anchor from pretty much any direction. It could be pointing straight to the shipwreck since it likely snapped while hooked on all that rock/coral around it, then fell back from the violence of the snap - meaning the shank points in the opposite direction. However, there is a high ridge on the side which looks to be the culprit for bending it the way it did, meaning it could have been pulled perpendicular to the anchor. Of course, the anchor very well may have landed point down & spun before falling flat.

I just doubt the ring end points to the shipwreck as that would imply the anchor wasn't caught on anything when it broke. Thoughts?

This is the kind of stuff that distracts me while the show keeps playing on the DVR.

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here is another old Spanish anchor off West Caicos...https://youtu.be/A7JbU_G51Zo?t=21s
2,680 videos on YouTube of "West Caicos wall dive", one of the most popular places to dive in a place that is one of the most popular places to dive in the Caribbean in some of the clearest water in the world. There's not going to be a lot left unseen, much like the Bahamas, where the guys driving the lobster boats probably know more about shipwrecks than anyone with a dig boat.
I like all the people that I know who are involved and respect them and their skills/judgement/integrity, but I think the show would have benefited if they had they had a 'subject matter expert" screen their edited cuts first <<IMHO>>.

The next show of this genre that will be aired and that features treasure diving will probably be Josh Gates and "Expedition Unknown" sometime in June, followed by "Caribbean Pirate Gold" <No idea when it will air again, but perhaps the producers will give us an idea when they read this>

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I like all the people that I know who are involved and respect them and their skills/judgement/integrity, but I think the show would have benefited if they had they had a 'subject matter expert" screen their edited cuts first <<IMHO>>.

The next show of this genre that will be aired and that features treasure diving will probably be Josh Gates and "Expedition Unknown" sometime in June, followed by "Caribbean Pirate Gold" <No idea when it will air again, but perhaps the producers will give us an idea when they read this>

Agreed re: editing.

Disappointing to only get a few episodes for a whole season. I guess we've turned into Britain now. Just air the number of episodes you want. No television consistency anymore in the US. Better than dragging it into a zillion episodes that go nowhere (like Oak Island).

Thanks for the heads-up on other shows! Josh is a lot of fun to watch.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have one thing to say about this short "season" (if you can call it that)...

PFFFFFFFFT !.

Damn thing just got going... and was mostly space stuff.... should have named the show... "space guy who thought he saw a shiowreck while half asleep in space".

Lameness ... crapola... Bah.

I am not interested anymore.

This is why I don't get caught up in these shows... they all just "drag it out" to nothingness.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These shows... heh
There is always more standing around talking ...
OR reviewing / recapping last show(s)...
OR shots of them farting around,,, than actual "work"... which I assume is just filling up / stretching the amount of recorded material. (cheapening it)

Also... the build up "drama" to keep you fixed to "what happens next" is also exaggerated / stretched to such distort ... that when I cant wait to see "what happens next" I am always let down by the lameness / reality of the pettiness.

PUT ALL THE MONEY AND WORK IN>>> DOCUMENT FROM BEGIN TO END... AND MAKE IT WORTH THE WATCH.
OR...
Don't make the show... because it comes across like cheap half arsed rating hit "rake".

PS> these shows now make me feel...

Like a horse with a dangling carrot in its face it cannot eat.

Heh :P

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
And there's the rub! We can't be satisfied.

1) Snake Island: If there's a show based on a find already made where there must be some creative reenactments, we complain.
2) Oak Island: If there's a show based on discoveries honestly made on camera, there's no guarantee we'll ever find anything. Wah!
3) Cooper's Treasure: If there's a show with a great twist, we want a full season with fulfillment of the "billions in treasure" promise. No can do.

I'm guilty as any. We all want that awesome new find that takes us on a great journey with honest surprises & discoveries along the way that lead to a big treasure in the end. Only in the movies, folks. Even then, Indiana Jones loses everything he finds to supernatural forces.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The most exciting finds are the ones people on this forum actually find every day. Still millions out there on the Treasure Coast!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed re: editing.

Disappointing to only get a few episodes for a whole season. I guess we've turned into Britain now. Just air the number of episodes you want. No television consistency anymore in the US. Better than dragging it into a zillion episodes that go nowhere (like Oak Island).

Thanks for the heads-up on other shows! Josh is a lot of fun to watch.

Truly the show matches the audience for exploitation - right to the end. In the case of Oak Island, there is no end. Just amnesia between episodes.

Pretty soon, they'll just throw a bunch of buzz words into a show: Hitler, aliens, Antarctica, Gold, and Atlantis and turn on the mixer. Oh wait, that's been done ..........

Gawd, what does that say about us?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A
2) Oak Island: If there's a show based on discoveries honestly made on camera, there's no guarantee we'll ever find anything. Wah!

I seriously question some of those 'finds'.

Pseudo-Reality shows based on TH'ing will almost inevitably involve salted finds with some "big implication" that will be revealed in the next episode...

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
purposely avoided this thread till I got to watch all the episodes.

You really need an astronaut to tell you to drag a detector around carribean islands?
finding an anchor DOES NOT MEAN you found anything, most ships carried multiple anchors

do some editing/ waaaayyyy to much wasted time with the family, the dad, and old nasa films

get back to me when you really find something of value darryl

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A suspicious question! How Cooper knew details of cargoes if these details, for Spanish and Portuguese shipwrecks do not exist in documentary sources. For the Spaniards only in case something was recovered then and had to know who belonged the recovered.
In other words, for shipwrecks from the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries it is not easy to get complete cargo documents. There can only be details of the part belonging to the royal treasure.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
purposely avoided this thread till I got to watch all the episodes.

You really need an astronaut to tell you to drag a detector around carribean islands?
finding an anchor DOES NOT MEAN you found anything, most ships carried multiple anchors

do some editing/ waaaayyyy to much wasted time with the family, the dad, and old nasa films

get back to me when you really find something of value darryl

The fact that ships anchor in the lee of an island is not 'rocket science' indeed.
If you look at a Navionics chart of the area, it is marked as a anchorage. :)
Maybe the Spanish referenced this website:http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/TurksCaicos/WestCaicos
or this one -speaking of anchors -http://www.cruisingworld.com/destinations/home-turks-and-caicos
or this one: Turks & Caicos Islands Navigation Chart Notes (TC001 & TC002) | Wavey Line Charts
and one last thing...look at this detail from a 1782 map of West Caicos...at that time called Cayo del Oeste- See that anchor that indicates a good place to anchor? Huh...

detail of T&C 1782 map.jpg

:)
back to work for me.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions