Could President Trump help the Treasure Business?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
[FONT=&quot]The Colombian shipwreck law has now been in effect for approx. three and a half years and not one private sector contract has been issued. Burt Webber was key in supporting the law bill having spoken in the Colombian House of Representatives and the Senate in the open floor debates. Even Webber, a master in this industry was denied a contract even in spite of what he did. Both Mariana Garces and Ernesto Montenegro are well rooted "UNESCOITES" and in spite of the law, have no intention of issuing private sector contracts. At least not under [/FONT]

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Colombian Minister of Culture is a "she" (Mariana Garces). I have met Mrs Garces as well as Dr Ernesto Montenegro, Director of Cultural Patrimony, who is in charge of the submerge cultural patrimony program in Colombia. They are both great professionals and an example of how the government and private enterprise can cooperate on the issues of
the recovery of historical shipwrecks. If I can help in this regard, please let me know. Colombia is in my opinion the perfect example of the future of our industry and how things should be done.

I must be misunderstanding that statement.
What,exactly, is Columbia doing to cooperate and with whom?
What projects have been permitted?
What companies have begun operations?
What "cultural patrimony" has been recovered and by whom?
I would love to hear good news in the form of specifics.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been Following this Thread, So I don't know if it was Brought up.
But I bet Odyssey Marine Exploration would have fared allot Better in their case against Spain, with Trump.

Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A consortium of American companies have completed Phase I of the Colombian Law on the San Jose project and are putting the final touches to the archaeological work plan to start the excavation of the shipwreck. We will probably see some action in this regard in 2017.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted for Donald and hope that he opens federal parks, beaches and other federal properties to treasure hunters.
All the emails I've ever got from members on TreasureNet, were either for Trump or against Obama.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have the email for Mariana Garces?
PM me and I will explain.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was very bummed to not be at what sounds to have been the best cookout ever. I hope this got talked about with some forward motion amongst those in the know. Let us know if there are any petitions to sign or other things us clueless folk can do to help.

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A consortium of American companies have completed Phase I of the Colombian Law on the San Jose project and are putting the final touches to the archaeological work plan to start the excavation of the shipwreck. We will probably see some action in this regard in 2017.

There was quite a bit of first-hand knowledge in the conversations about the situation in Colombia, Panama and other places over the course of Saturday's get together and on my phone in the last several days. As I did not ask the persons involved for permission to discuss the specifics
or quote them directly, I can only say that the chances of actually getting permitted and having the governments involved cooperate as agreed through the completion of the contract appear to remain unchanged.
My opinion remains unchanged in the light of most recent information- There is a concerted effort in the archaeological community to close the doors of historical shipwreck salvage to all others for exclusively self-serving reasons and a little governmental push-back in favor of free enterprise and the rights of private citizens is needed soon before the nanny-state becomes established beyond the point of reversal.
There will be a thread started in the near future about how the academics are attempting to demonize anyone that does not abide by their rules, using the same tactics that Saul Alinsky suggested in Rules for Radicals. Private enterprise should take the same approach.
More later...I have to work on a treasure boat. :) Carry on.

Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ropefish, I agree with your premise. However, a similar but reverse argument could be said by government officials about treasure hunters. In countries like Colombia, where Congress have signed into law the possibility that national or international companies can search, excavate and keep up to 50% of the values recovered, career officials and academics have had also to change and adapt in order to comply with their new ruling (in Colombia for example, the Director of Cultural Patrimony [ICAHN] resigned to his position on principle when the new law was promulgated 2013). The future of commercial archaeology (which is my preferred term to describe our industry) will belong to those companies that can evolve and adapt to our new environment. I'm just grateful that there are still a handful of countries where we can continue to do what we love so much in a legal manner.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we have some hope of getting things changed. The following article mentions the word "marine". I think we should write to Trump advisors rather than Senators or Congressman. Any thoughts?
I am still putting together a NOAA and UNESCO dossier for defunding. When I am done I will forward a copy to a couple of you above for your thoughts.
</Users/Administrator/Desktop/Interior IDs 27 monuments for possible end to protections - The Washington Post.webarchive>

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That link goes to your desktop, enrada, but this one goes to a similar web article: Interior IDs 27 monuments for possible end to protections - Alva Review-Courier
and this one goes to the doi.gov website: https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/i...ents-under-review-announces-first-ever-formal that details which monuments and where they are.
Here are the marine areas:
[FONT=&quot]MARINE NATIONAL MONUMENTS BEING REVIEWED PURSUANT TO EXECUTIVE ORDERS 13795 AND 13792[/FONT]
Marianas TrenchCNMI/Pacific Ocean200960,938,240
Northeast Canyons and SeamountsAtlantic Ocean20163,114,320
Pacific Remote IslandsPacific Ocean200955,608,320
PapahanaumokuakeaHawaii/Pacific Ocean2006/201689,600,000
Rose AtollAmerican Samoa/Pacific Ocean20098,609,045
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions