cannon ?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
on your land --its yours in my veiw (but the state might try to be involved if they found out you had it and were attempting to move or sell it-----they would cite "artifact" rules)--in a "public" land area the state would without a doubt get involved---in water --- again the state would be involved--- please think carefully unless you can properly take care of it --- which is a very long term thing ---and not easy or cheap to do--the cannon if made of Iron will rot away to nothing---sadly I see way too many of them rotting to nothing in front of some store or seafood place---if its made of iron honestly its a pain to take care of and not worth too much in many cases due to their rather poor shape often (even the state has "problems" with properly upkeeping "iron cannons" in my veiw to be honest)- however where its "at" can be highly important--if in water there maybe a near by shipwreck --on land a fort or battle site alot depends on the age and type of cannon ---naval or land based? old spanish or civil war?-----however if its a old bronze type cannon thats not really much of a issue of course---the bronze ones are quite a find and worth big bucks due to the fact they don't rot like the iron ones thay are highly desired by collectors and others--the state will say that you are disturbing the cannons site "historical context" by removing it from where it lies and will move in on it most likely---to be foreward is to be fore armed---Ivan

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
I've been told that the state has ruled that cannons and anchors are not allowed to be taken from the ocean any longer. Anyone have any documentation to support this?
Diverlynn

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure if you found some bronze cannons that the state would like you to bring them up since they are worth so much.iron cannons an anchors should just be left there as markers.unless you have the time and money and means to conserve them properly.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
How many of you have ever been to St Augustine?
There are hundreds of iron cannons used as a property marker and are buried barrell down. These are monster cannons and weigh a few tons each.
One would cover a very large area.
I believe these were LAND CANNONS because they are way to big for a ship.
I agree that any iron cannons or anchors should remain under the sea that way when they rot away it would be hard to find the rest of the wreck and the State people would soon be out of a job. ;D ;D ;D
Peg Leg

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Diver Lynn: The State would rather see cannons and anchors left in place. Too many of them were pulled up in the early days and that only accomplished two things. #1 Cannons and anchors are one of the main things to look for when searching for old shipwrecks, many of them were raised for scrap metal during WWII. At the same time, they were removing the very clues that would point to an ancient wreck site. Many sites have never been found because they lack enough ferrous metal to produce a strong magnetometer anomaly. when they have been pulled off. #2, look at the cannons in Fort Pierce, or take a drive along A1A in the Keys and it is sad to see the deteriorating cannons slowly turning into dust infront on restaurants, banks, city parks etc. They simply didn't know modern conservation methods.

These modern conservation methods are often time consuming and it seems to be more and mor eof the trend to not disturb cannons in the first place and even in several cases return them to the water. Several cannons from Rio Mar were placed in Pennekamp Park and I know the cannons on the 1733 San Pedro U/W Preserve in the Keys are concrete replicas.

The site off Vero Beach I have been working with HRD has five cannons that we know of. We are in no hurry to remove or recover them. They are the one thing on the site that do not shift around and I have used them as referrence points to measure from and triangulate in where the various gold and silver coins and other artifacts have been found on the site. In doing so I have been able to generate a remarkable accurate site map.

On the other hand, the Blackbeard shipwreck site off the coast of NC has recovered 2/3 of the cannons present on that wreck and plan to remove the rest over the next few years. They have a conservation facilty and grant money to pay for preservation, which makes a big difference.

Anyway, I am not sure it is a written rule or anything, but the current trend in Florida seems to be leave iron cannons and anchors in place.

Rob Westrick

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Galleon Hunter,

Welcome to our forum!!!!!Its an honor to have you here!!!! I am sure our members will learn tons with you here.....
Looking forward to read your posts and to learn from you...

All the best,

Chagy.......

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A perfect example of a cannon not preserved down in the keys in front of a bank.Rob Westrick leaning on the cannon.

Attachments

• Robwrustycannon.jpg
    Robwrustycannon.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 283

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
The cannon and stand in the photo is a perfect reason why Treasure Hunter get a bad rap.
The stand the cannon is sitting on is a very very good example of HOW TO NOT DISPLAY A CANNON.
This cannon needs to go back into the ocean-somewhere.
PEG LEG

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
I have heard that many cannons and anchors were pulled up as part of scrap drives during WWII to support the American war effort.

However, I have also heard that such iron cannons would not have been good for much of anything and ended up in junk piles. That such programs were designed to keep people busy and "make the American public believe they were able to do something at home to help the soldiers overseas." In some sort of way, be able to contribute and thus keep morale up on the homefront.

Much like the meatless, wheatless and heatless days that families endured during the war. Somehow I doubt that families in America taking a day off from eatting meat, ever did much to put meat on a soldier's plate in France.

Does anybody know if the scap metal recovered from cannons were utilized for anything to really aid the war effort???

Rob

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I am not sure but I believe that the molten iron was mixed with other metals to create alloys that were used in tank treads.
I know that we saved all the old cans and glass bottles to go to the WAR EFFORT.
There was also the so called BUTTER was made from processed lard and had a little yellow button that you had to mash up to make the CRAP look like BUTTER but I was just a kid so what did I know, I eat the stuff anyway.
I would also go with a Charlie Pirtle over the the beach and pickup stuff that would wash ashore from ships sunk by U-Boats.
Those were NOT the good old days.
Eat a lot of seafood during that time.
Peg leg

OP
OP
wailinmacs

wailinmacs

Jun 19, 2007
Boca de Ratones
Detector(s) used
excalibur
i would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who posts here. I'm learning so much and you people are setting me on the right path. a path of responsability, respect and hopefully success. the t-net forum has been my greatest treasure so far.
wailinmacs...

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
i would like to second the post above! well spoken! what an expo in coco beach. thanks for the hard work to all. ps my bud landon, who did not want to go, won an emerald in the raffle! now he is hooked! ben aka. bucketofguts.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread