Question about Shipwreck / Pirate booty in Georgia

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
I'm curious about something. Is it possible that booty from shipwrecks could have found it's way up the Savannah River up toward Augusta? Could pirates have stashed some booty that far up the river? The reason I ask is that when I was little my father told me stories of finding Spanish gold coins in the dirt about a mile inland from the river when he was a little kid. That would have been in the late 1920s. He told be that he found a couple of coins and a ring. Unfortunately, the house they lived in at the time burned down in the early 1930s and the gold was in the house. My father & all his siblings are gone now so there is no one to ask. I don't even know the exact location of his find. Another possibility is that a wealthy family in the area might have buried some of their own personal gold prior to Sherman comming thru the area curing the Civil War. Still, Dad's story has always intrigued me and now that I've found this board I might be able to find out more about any treasure that was buried in the area. I am located in California or I would be out there with a MD looking for booty myself! Does the pirate aspect sound possible?

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Most certainly possible and even probable. I'm not up on the pirate lore for the Georgia/South Carolina areas but I would certainly expect that you will be hearing from RGECY who lives very near that area.

Pcolaboy

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I have no doubt that there was stashed gold from pirates in the area--it might have been gold buried during the civil war very likely---spanish coinage was legal tender in the states til about 1830ish if I remember correctly and some folks held it for its "gold" value even after it wasn't money anymore in case of "hard times"---plus the spanish attacked both savannah ga and charleston sc in the early 1700's era trying to drive out the british and the british in return attacked st augustine trying to drive them out---so it could have been from the warriors or pirates or just hidden during the civil war ---lots of ways it could have been there---I would think hard and go find the old tax deeds in the county that yjey lived in and find out where he lived---being he was a kid--it was most likelyin a area "nearby" the homestead area---good luck to you---Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread