hi new to ship wrecks what do you do

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its much safer with two --one guy down and one on the boat --take turns---otherwize in case of a "accident" or storm while your "down" the boat could go adrift---no good--- Ivan

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
ivan salis said:
its much safer with two --one guy down and one on the boat --take turns---otherwize in case of a "accident" or storm while your "down" the boat could go adrift---no good--- Ivan

That works great unless you're the guy down below by yourself and you get snagged on an obstruction, get leg cramps, or have equipment failure with no way to communicate with your buddy getting a tan topside. ;D

Its certainly great to have someone topside while diving in case of a slipping anchor, boat traffic, or if a diver is carried away with current. However, never diving without a buddy is certainly the smartest personal committment I ever made and saved my life lastyear in only 27' of water. I have over 800 logged dives and it would have all ended without my insistence on the buddy system.

Good luck and be carefull.

Pcolaboy

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
use the rope and tug method---tried and true---very low tech---just pointing out that working solo is very dangerousand not very smart ---two persons is better---three divers is just right in my view--- two below / one topside ---you take turns---thus rotating the "topside" man ---and your story just goes to show--its good to have "freinds" when you need em most---- Ivan

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
GoldFever said:
can you share your story? I am interested in hearing it.

I sent you a PM with my experience. I don't want to distract from the topic too much.

Pcola

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
dont worry about distracting post here please

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
strike it rich said:
dont worry about distracting post here please

Ok you asked for it.... ;D

My dive buddy and I went down on a familiar wreck in 26-28' of water with awesome conditions initially. This spot Speared some nice flounder on the first dive and second dive was more for exploration. Not far into the second dive, the tide switched much earlier and stronger than expected causing the visibility go to nearly 2 feet or less.

I was wearing a bit more weights that day due to a mix up on the belt I grabbed from home. My dive buddy and I called the dive due to the ever worsening conditions. With my buddy in the lead, I got maybe 4-5 kicks off the bottome before both of my legs seized with the worst cramps I have ever had. In an instant I had lost sight of my dive buddy and was essentially pushed into the wreck by the tide. Even though I could have simply dropped my weight belt and float to the surface, I literally went into a true state of panic for the first time in my life and remained pinned to the side of the wreck unable to move my legs and too delirious to make an otherwise automatic decision to go to the surface.

Lucky for me, my dive buddy got to the surface and quickly realized something must have been wrong since my bubble stream was coming up from essentially the same place we started our ascent. He quickly rigged a shot line and threw it within 20 feet of my location and I actually heard the weight hit the ballast pile. He then descended the shot line, dropped my belt, and helped me get my senses back before helping me to the shot line. I have no doubt that if I had been alone, the panic and cramps would have drowned me.

This really had nothing to do with your topic of how to dive shipwrecks but I guess I felt it necessary to highly recommend never to dive alone.

Pcolaboy

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
but is does pcolaboy !!! it goes to show that doing "solo" diving can be very dangerous / even fatal under the wrong conditions ---thus diving really should be done with at least two people (or even better in my veiw-- three two below and one above) ---which has everything to do with "should I dive on wrecks solo?"---from a safety stand point the answer is "NO"----and while I know we can not "tell" folks what to do--- we old hand types should say what we think is a "safe" and "wize" way to do things ----if the "newbies" listen is up to them but they can not say we "old hands" didn't warn em------Ivan

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Solo diving has been discussed quite a bit recently in some of the popular dive magazines and scuba related bulletin boards. It is not deemed as taboo as it once was

Go to www.cdnn.info and look at the number of diver death's....despite having a partner, or even several partners.

What it all boils down to is you are ultimately responsible for your own safety. You are responsible for the condition your equipment is in. You have to make the decision to get in the water or not.

I have been solo diving for many years. Not just diving, but working underwater. Oftentimes in poor conditions. But always within my limits and capabilities.

Sometimes I prefer it that way. Other times, I feel more comfortable with a buddy.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
say the old saw goes "buy a ticket take a chance"---it is all of course up to you of course ---but I think just about everyone would have to agree that having others around when you are diving is safer---no brainer there-- but as you say each to their own and in the end its your choice (and life in balance) ---the sea is quite often a "cruel" teacher many times the rather harsh lessons it teaches are paid for by the sea go'ers lives and their loved ones tears --- Ivan

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
It really doesn't matter to me whether other people dive alone or not. It's a personal committment that took 14 years to actually prove its worth for me. If accidents were only caused by things that were expected, then I suppose they would never happen because you would know exactly what to do to prepare. I've never had a cramp while diving but it wasn't just the cramp....it was a combination of quickly eroding conditions and cramps that could have certainly cost me my life. The tide coming out of Pensacola Pass is notoriously unpredictable in terms of strength and in the case that day, the wind changed direction with the tide which made things much worse.

I would have never expected to experience a true panic attack such as the one I had. All the years of training and preparation for events such as this one never truly prepare you for how to get your body out of physical panic. It was truly an experience I hope to never repeat in any environment. It's not something that guys go around bragging about..."oh yeah yesterday I panicked....". But take my word for it, if it could happen to me, it could happen to anyone. I just hope that those out there that are so sure of their equipment, and so sure of their experience will take pause and reflect on their own habits. In 800 dives this was my first close call, but it could have also been my last one for good.

Pcolaboy

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
LIKE i SAID---IT PAYS TO HAVE "FREINDS" AROUND WHEN YOU NEED THEM==="YOUR" "LIVING" PROOF OF MY POINT ----need I go on? ---iVAN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions