1715 plate fleet wreck north of Sabastian Inlet. Florida?

doubloonhunter

Jul 1, 2005
CT/FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur minelab .. Etrac on order... Minelab safari back up

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian, welcome to the forum. I have not heard of many significant finds on any of the 1715 beach sites this season and certainly there have never been much found north of the chucks steakhouse location (just enough to wet our suspicion of a wreck). The best locations for me have been between the Cabin wreck sites just south of the McLarty Treasure Museum and down between Wabasso beach and Turtle Trail, these would normally be your best bet. However I think we will need to wait for a good coastal storm to get down below all the new sand added to the beaches. Parking has always been problematic at these sites, and the problem has been exacerbated with the total destruction of Wabasso beach, and I believe that Turtle trail parking is still closed.
I would recommend staying at the Disney resort just south of Wabasso beach, which will solve the parking problem and put you within walking distance of several of the wrecks.

Good luck and happy hinting

Q

tanman58

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne , Florida
Help,
For those who have a Minelab Excalibur 1000 I need some advise. I've been detecting for years and in October I bought a Excalibur 1000. What a great machine but lately it wont "hold" a threshold tone. It just freaks out with a deep growl and or other weird noises. I like/need the constant steady "whine" while searching but I spend 50% of my time just trying to get that steady whine.I have to swipe my scoop by the coil to get the steady whine then after a few steps it just freaks out,, growl, buzzing and other wierd "tones". Yes I've adjusted the sensitivity, fully charged the battery and even tried the other alkaline battery pod and removed the coil cover but it does not help. Any advise other than send it in for repair??,, its only 9 months old and been treated carefully, has'nt been dropped, ran over ect. Thanks for any advise.
Wayne

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne, I have also experienced this problem from time to time and yes, it can be extremely frustrating. At first I believed that it was the battery, as it gets low on power the Excalibur tends to get unstable. However, this has also happened with a freshly charged battery pack. I have never experienced this problem while diving with the detector and it has only happened to me while detecting on the beach. It is my understanding that atmospheric conditions, combined with UHF, and VHF radio frequencies can cause this interference. Since most of my beach detecting is accomplished between the Cape, and down south of Patrick AFB I believe that it may be interference from some of the military communications.

Q

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buscadero, you asked for it, so Marc has brought this thread over to the new server. I forgot how much 1715 fleet information was in this thread.

Many exciting things have happend on the Space and Treasure cost since this thread was lost in the shuffle, last November a salvage company may have discovered part of a 18th century wreck up near the NASA tracking station, well north of the known 1715 fleet wreck sites, and just a few weeks ago a gold bar was recovered from on of the 1715 wrecks near Seabastan Inlet, not to mention the start of a very good lobster season down by the 1715 wrecks.

Thanks Marc!

Tom

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I seem to recall that some years ago a construction company was working just south of Cocoa Beach and while digging for the foundation they uncovered the remains of a ship. Worked pickup in about 4 months. Never heard what was uncovered.
Anyone have any idea about this wreck site?
Peg Leg

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
For those that might be interested. When looking for ARTIFACTS the indians may have recovered ALWAY check CEDAR HAMMOCKS. This was the preferred living grounds of the St. Johns River Indians.
Peg Leg

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Peg Leg, Many years ago in the 1940s a man was having a house built and in digging for the foundation they found an anchor and cannons. This is where a ship ran aground and the dune had moved sea ward. This was Mr Corrigans property. Now known as Corrigans wreck. South of Wabasso, North of Vero Beach. I remember many times when the sand was very low and I had no thoughts that they would deposit sand on those beaches. So the post that started this off and the question about Bonstell park and Chucks, could a wreck be under the dune? Yes it could. Corrigans wreck is proof of that. There very well could be a wreck under the dune near Bonstell Park. There are other wrecks along Floridas East coast that supposedly are under the dunes.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peg Leg, I have never heard that story, and I live just a few miles south of Cocoa Beach. I think you may have the location wrong, as I am sure I would have heard about it.

Tom

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
wreckdiver.
I may have the location wrong but I do know it was on the Brevard cost before you get to the Melboune Causeway. It was on the East side of A1A.
Have you seen the HISTORIC SHIP WRECK SITE that is shown on the World Atlas. This wreck is East of the Cape and South of the Light house.
There is another wreck North of the Lighthouse but it is not marked. This is the one I was arrested on a very very long time ago-over 45 years ago.
It is or was loaded with silver bars and had 12 cannons that you could see. Never got the chance to really check it out but I did bring over 25 bars to shore. Of course the Government took it all-NOT THE STATE BUT THE U.S.GOVERNMENT.
Peg Leg

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Storms and moving sand.
Believe it or not a Hurricane went up the west coast of Florida and the storm surge deposited over 14 feet of sand in Destin Florida.
This tells me that somewhere along the Treasure Coast in the Indian River there is MILLIONS of $$$ worth of treasure to be found. NOT on the beaches but across the A1A Highway to the West IN the Indian River. You can take a Jon boat with a trolling motor. You WILL be surprised at what you can find. BUT I must warn you THERE ARE GATORS ABOUT.
AND DO NOT GO BY YOURSELF.
Peg Leg

mbouny

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2022
KY, Formerly FL
Detector(s) used
Sovereign, Excaliber, Spectrum, Surfmaster
I found about 75 Spanish coins on a Thanksgiving day in the mid 90's. I came early with a friend and didn't find anything and came back and that's when it opened up, near Chuck's Steak house. About 4 other detectorist were there , one digging a trench next to the cut which was about 6 or 7 feet.

mbouny

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2022
KY, Formerly FL
Detector(s) used
I have found Spanish coins at v marker, Bonsteel park. Chucks. Long Doggers. Commodore, Indiatlantic park. and 1 with a hole at Cocoa beach. I found one next to a modern crossover next to the iron bolt. I found one under a 2 ton rock right next to a beer can.

mbouny

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2022
KY, Formerly FL
Detector(s) used
anyone know the best area to search the 1715 fleet beaches? is it still bonsteel park and chucks . and go north ? or has the new sand changed that?

thanks for help..

brian

i want to make a trip there this summer. my childhood dream 38m
Walking North from Chuck's is probably a waste of time. There is a site several miles north across from the golf course where gold coins were found.

Last edited:

mbouny

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2022
KY, Formerly FL
Detector(s) used
?The 'refuerzo' and the Urca De Lima are one and the same. Refuerzo is a type of vessel rather than the actual name. Also, check out the 1715 history on my website (www.wreckoverysalvage.com), where respected researcher Mr. John DeBry, a Frenchman, claims there is no historical eveidence that the French ship Griffon survived the disaster, as often reported.
Is he still living?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
from what i understand a good bit of small value coins (1 and 2 reale type) are the bulk of the coins that were found

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread