Feb 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a myth but go ahead and make a tv show about it since people that watch tv believe everything on tv is true.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey all,

It's your TV producer friends again...wondering if anyone believes Jose Gaspar has lost treasure in Florida or other states. Any legend of missing treasure that ties to Gasparilla/Juan Gomez?

Appreciate you all very much

Gasparilla is the creation of an advertising brochure. There is no historical evidence to support his existence.

But its a fun tale.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hey all,

It's your TV producer friends again...wondering if anyone believes Jose Gaspar has lost treasure in Florida or other states. Any legend of missing treasure that ties to Gasparilla/Juan Gomez?

Appreciate you all very much

I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong mast. Gasparilla never existed. Even the island that was referenced was in existence before his time. It was all made up. However, Juan Gomez was a very interesting story teller...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lost a pair of Oakleys in Lettuce Lake....
Probably the only treasure there.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In the words written by the philosopher Hoyt Axton ....and sung by a drummer who should have stuck to drumming...

"And I said
No, no, no, no, I don't believe it no more
I'm tired of fictional research piling up on the floor
No, thank you, please, Juan Gomez made up stor eez
Gasparilla just makes the tourists spend some more...cha cha cha.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember that for every legand there is sometimes a grain of truth, and there is evidence of pirate habitation on the southwest coast of florida. And treasures have been found and coins and artifacts have been dug. And at a lot of different locations. What ever these characters were named I dont know but someone was over there, what I mean is multiple characters at different time periods, and multiple locations up and down the gulf coast. just a kyak ride can get you to some pretty interesting spots. Many have searched and many are still searching right now. Not for Gasparilla but for whoever is responsible for what has been found and discovered.

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a Tampa native I can tell you that Gasparilla was made up by city leaders and promoted by willing newspapers ..
They came up with a story that couldn't easily be proved ..or disproved...
They proclaimed a holiday ... dressed like pirates .and fixed up an old wooden ship for their annual invasion..
Just like Mardi Gras ..the Turnip Festival...and The Great Pumpkin....

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to disagree with my knowledgeable ship wreck salvor friends, but I have done considerable field work in the Charlotte Harbor area, and know first hand that a friend (now deceased), and relative of pirate Juan Gomez, was handed down 7 maps showing the locations of treasure caches that Gomez, had buried along a planned escape route to be used if necessary. My friend, and his son's were able to recover 3 of these caches. The last of which was enough to buy himself a modest home on Marco Island.

Another Treasure hunter friend in Texas, Doc Wood, who followed Spanish maps handed down to him, and recovered 10s of millions of dollars in Spanish land Treasures (verified) told me they recovered a chest of Spanish Silver coins on the Island of Cara Pelu at 23 feet deep. He told me where to the side of the mound, and I found the remains of the coffer dam still there.

From what I have discovered in that area, there is no doubt in my mind there was plenty of Pirate activity in the early 1800's and there appears to be some truth to the stories of a pirate named Jose Gaspar. Dell

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
L Frank Hudson got into serious trouble destroying Indian mounds looking for the fictional Gasparilla treasure and was the impetus for the State of Florida enacting those harsh recovery laws.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to disagree with my knowledgeable ship wreck salvor friends, but I have done considerable field work in the Charlotte Harbor area, and know first hand that a friend (now deceased), and relative of pirate Juan Gomez, was handed down 7 maps showing the locations of treasure caches that Gomez, had buried along a planned escape route to be used if necessary. My friend, and his son's were able to recover 3 of these caches. The last of which was enough to buy himself a modest home on Marco Island.

Another Treasure hunter friend in Texas, Doc Wood, who followed Spanish maps handed down to him, and recovered 10s of millions of dollars in Spanish land Treasures (verified) told me they recovered a chest of Spanish Silver coins on Mound Key at 23 feet deep. He told me where to the side of the mound, and I found the remains of the coffer dam still there.

From what I have discovered in that area, there is no doubt in my mind there was plenty of Pirate activity in the early 1800's and there appears to be some truth to the stories of a pirate named Jose Gaspar. Dell

Im with you dell. Ive seen the evidence first hand with my own eyes. And although it might not be Gasparilla, there most certainly was pirate activity in Charlotte harbor. Many people have found caches and single coin finds and at more than a few locations. The entire west coast has its stories and they stretch from the pan handle to cape sable. Check out pelu island and others in the vicinity and you will be a believer. I think I spelled that island wrong. The clues are there in the form of black glass shards, square nails , pottery shards, and other items of interest. And even eveidence of other peoples digs from the past. I also know 2 very famous, popular, and successful treasure hunters who take all these stories very seriously and are searching in the area as we speak. I know that there is at least one person on this site who has looked around there for many many years. When you get down around shark river, cane patch, and cape sable you are in one of the most remote areas of florida and god only knows whats been stashed, hidden, or lost there.

Last edited:

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L Frank Hudson got into serious trouble destroying Indian mounds looking for the fictional Gasparilla treasure and was the impetus for the State of Florida enacting those harsh recovery laws.

I knew L. Frank Hudson. He may have been a petty con man, but he was not guilty of the charges brought against him by the State. Because he was well known for his books and articles on Treasure, the State used him to make an example of what can happen to Treasure Hunters, and any who publicly encourage Treasure Hunting in the State of Florida.

TRUE STORY: The Florida State Attorney General, sat in my living room and bragged about his convicting Hudson. He told me L Frank Hudson, deserved to be in jail because he was a pervert. When they raided Hudson's office/home he said there were pictures of naked women hanging on his wall. That was enough of a ranking State official's arrogance to anger me. I immediately asked the State attorney and his assistant to leave my premises. I certainly didn't see nude pictures on the wall as justification to ruin a man, especially when I knew for a fact the allegations that Hudson dug up an Indian mound with a Bulldozer, were false and untrue. Dell

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I knew L. Frank Hudson. He may have been a petty con man, but he was not guilty of the charges brought against him by the State. Because he was well known for his books and articles on Treasure, the State used him to make an example of what can happen to Treasure Hunters, and any who publicly encourage Treasure Hunting in the State of Florida.

TRUE STORY: The Florida State Attorney General, sat in my living room and bragged about his convicting Hudson. He told me L Frank Hudson, deserved to be in jail because he was a pervert. When they raided Hudson's office/home he said there were pictures of naked women hanging on his wall. That was enough of a ranking State official's arrogance to anger me. I immediately asked the State attorney and his assistant to leave my premises. I certainly didn't see nude pictures on the wall as justification to ruin a man, especially when I knew for a fact the allegations that Hudson dug up an Indian mound with a Bulldozer, were false and untrue. Dell

Dell, Frank was never convicted. I know. I was arrested with him. Frank sat in the infirmary at the county jail for a few weeks until they finally let him go. He had prostrate cancer. Also the state attorney general had nothing to do with it. We were prosecuted by the Lee County District Attorney.

I went to Frank's condo many times. I NEVER saw nude photos on his wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Oh my...
and now, back to Gaspariila, as I stated before, he simply didn't exist. Other pirates, yes. As far as Juan Gomez, he made up stories for the tourists. He may have had a small stash he used when needed, but that's about as far as it goes. It appears that he fell out of his small boat while on his last fishing trip. His body was found tangled in the mangroves. He was reportedly 120 years old...

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pete, I can't argue my failing memory for names. But the story of them coming to my house is true. They were there asking questions about Don Johnson, and they brought up the name, and comments about Frank Hudson. I think I still have the Attorney's card around someplace. Dell.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Dell, Frank was never convicted. I know. I was arrested with him. Frank sat in the infirmary at the county jail for a few weeks until they finally let him go. He had prostrate cancer. Also the state attorney general had nothing to do with it. We were prosecuted by the Lee County District Attorney.

I went to Frank's condo many times. I NEVER saw nude photos on his wall.
The story revisited:
Miami New Times ? 08-28-2014 : Raiders Of The Lost Swamp

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread