Wreck of the schooner RED WING, lost in 1896 with reported Spanish gold aboard...

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Here is some video from a wreck dived this past weekend in 340 feet of water off Destin, Florida. Based on location, dimensions, and wreck architecture, I believe this to be the wreck of the schooner RED WING, lost en route from Havana, Cuba, to Moss Point, Mississippi. Newspaper articles documented $12,000 in Spanish gold (1896 value) went down with the ship...enjoy!

Cheers,
Mike

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lionfish all over the place.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the original poster stated that location, dimensions, and wreck architecture were his reasons for assuming it was the red wing.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Seeker: "Based on location, dimensions, and wreck architecture, I believe this to be the wreck of the schooner RED WING, lost en route from Havana, Cuba, to Moss Point, Mississippi."
Did you catch that? Mike knows boats.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the ship hit a submerged object in shallow water you would think they would toss out the anchor/s to keep it from going into deeper water.I saw a anchor in the video.How many anchors did that schooner have?

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might have hit an angry white whale lol. Who said it hit something in shallow water?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in remarkable shape for an old timer.

If my math is right, $12,000 in gold was 37.5 pounds.

P ensacola , Fla., Nov. 28.—The schooner Red Wing of Philadelphia was lost 69 miles south of Pensacola, I while enroute to Pascagoula she sprang a leak and sank in an hour. Captain Carle, crew and one passenger have arrived here.

Yuk, couldn't have been pleasant. Wonder if the lifeboated it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread