OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx for finding a pic Boatlode.....I'll show it to my dad this weekend..

I fully understand the skepticism of this story...
The location is shallow.. easily reachable..and nothing is there..

Another possible reason the sub's were not found...Maybe they were still being used by someone in 1950.?.
It was only 5 years after the end of WWII...maybe someone brought a few of them home as souvenirs after the war ?
My dad may have happened upon them while they were parked off Egmont Key..?
The Coast Guard may have heard reports of them ... or actually seen them ...which was why my dad was restricted from accessing the site on his return trip..?

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
And they were launched from larger vessels, correct?

Not this class of midget submarine. The depth rating was very, very shallow. Further, this class -- as with all the other classes of midget submarines -- were developed very late in the war. At this time in the war (late 1944 into 1945), U-boat operations off the U.S. were rendered largely ineffective due to code breaking; it was much different than the happy days of the U-boats in 1941-1942.
Trying to mix and match history to fit this narrative just does not work IMHO...

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Not this class of midget submarine. The depth rating was very, very shallow. Further, this class -- as with all the other classes of midget submarines -- were developed very late in the war.

Most midget subs were launched from larger vessels. The Japanese deployed midget subs at Pearl Harbor in December 1941. You can believe that there are no German midget sub wrecks off Egmont Key. And you could be right. Or you could be wrong. Naval historians believed the 1715 fleet went down in the Keys until Kip Wagner proved them wrong. But you cannot call someone a liar unless you have proof.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Randy Wayne White has a Doc Ford adventure that involved WWII U-boats off of Sanibel ,kept secrets, and a ghost!

Which one is that? I thought I read all the Doc Ford series but must have missed that one.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it this one? Was a really good book. Would make a good movie.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 127

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a crunch berry under the fridge and a penny under the couch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread