Fastener Identification

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Does anyone know of a good online resource for identifying origins of ship fasteners such as spikes, nails, drift pins, etc? Over the years I've stumbled across many different types of brass/bronze items of this nature and figured that different nations used different fastener techniques. I'd love to get an idea what nationality and/or period they came from.

Thanks,

Pcolaboy

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I dont know of a site, but I do know that each ship used many types of nails and spikes and even iron, copper and bronze on same ship. English ships usually had a broadhead stamped in any nail or metal item in ship fasteners. They all do look very similar.

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a copy of " Ships' Fastenings, from Sewn Boats to Steamship" by Michael McCarthy.It is published by Texas A&M press and can be ordered on-line from them. Best single source treatment on the subject!

Pirate Diver

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Thanks for the information!

Most of my nail/spike heads are square with the shaft being square also.

Another observation....a few of the broken fasteners I have appear to have an iron core to them while most of the others appear to be solid brass or bronze. I wasn't aware that cupperous metal would coat ferrous metal very well.

Thanks again,

Pcolaboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread