Ragdoll in the Surfzone

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi - I'm completely out of place here - but I was just thinking - is there any way to create strong enough suction without a tube? I mean, if we're talking about shallower/smaller objects.. would it be possible to have it simply suck up the sand, run it through a filter with a trap for larger objects, and shoot the sand out the back?

This idea is probably even more farfetched but, what if it traveled through the sand, partly submerged? Not sure what it would take to make something powerful enough to do this, but it would certainly assist in anchoring it if that is an issue.

If you are referring to the manta ray having this capability, then I don't believe there is a way to build it as so. It would have to have an onboard pump and some sort of engine to run the pump which would require it being extremely large to accommodate these as well as the electronics, propulsion, gears, cables and metal needed for it to operate. Besides, the bottom is never just sand and especially so along the coast near Sebastian Inlet as well as other areas along the East coast where Spanish Galleons and other ships wrecked. Jagged coral reefs, jagged rocks, coral heads, plant life, debris and sharp pieces from newer ship/boat wrecks, debris left behind from hurricanes and other intense storms, etc, etc, etc... The manta ray would have to have the capability to move over, around, between and maybe even under some of these things on and jutting out from the ocean's floor as well as the rock and reef shelves.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lithium Ion batteries are improving in leaps and bounds ..
A search of battery powered power tools might turn up something with a strong enough motor to give the Manta enough suction to move a lot of sand for an extended time...running untethered it would discharge through a mesh filter.
As far as it burrowing as it propels itself along...?..rocks and other debris might stall it and pop it out of the sand...and then it might wash up on the beach ?..
Thanx for the input...

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx for all the input...
Its time for me to enjoy one of my other inventions...
It only took me 5 years to build it...it has 128 sq ft of racks..doors on both sides..its all double and triple wall steel with 2000 degree ceramic insulation between the layers..
It weighs about 10,000 lbs and runs on oak and assorted other hardwoods..
Happy 4th of July....
Time to get cooking..
Jim

Attachments

• 1499179452537.jpg
    1499179452537.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 83

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !! Nice grill urban. How bout a drone design that acts like a sand dollar or sea biscuit ? Senses a target in the surf zone and then burrows itself into the sand to retrieve or identify the target. It could travel under the sand just below the turbulent zone and then it could inflate itself with co2 and float to the surface with retrieved data or target. There it could be retrieved by surface vehicles or washed to the beach to be recovered. There would be very little disturbance to the surrounding ecosystem. Just my imagination running wild !! It takes imagination to think it up, engineers to design it and investors to finance it. Sometimes innovation sounds ridiculous in the beginning. Im sure the wright brothers were thought to be nuts in there day.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that we should look at the examples of life that thrive in these turbulant environments and mimic there capabilities and attributes that make them successful there. Sand fleas, tube worms, sand dollars, etc.etc..... how bout a sting ray or skate instead of a manta ?? The sting ray has the capability to bury itself just below the surface of the sand just beyond the effects of tide and surf. Drones made to work in the surf zone will need to mimic the characteristics of these creatures I think. Just a thought.
What ya gonna grill urban ? Happy 4th to all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bart.....ideas are the seeds of invention....
My smoker started on a cocktail napkin...followed by 6 months of researching what everyone else had...and learning the dangers of using ceramic insulation... ( it holds heat so well that it can mangle a firebox and smoker )...then it took another 2 1/2 years to kinda get it where I wanted it...and another 2 years to make it work on its own....
Its a reverse flow system that is my own design... And I had problems making it pull air and make even heat ....it uses a natural draft ..no fans or electronics or gas...just light the wood...bring it up to temp...and cook all day...and night....
I'm cooking a bunch of 1 1/2 in thick Tbone steaks along with a few other things today.
Here's a pic of the pork roast I cooked this Saturday ...

Attachments

• 1499186899501.jpg
    1499186899501.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 72

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man....is my mouth watering !! Awsome design with that monster grill. Im going to a bbq right now. Man that pic is making me starving.

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After doing a quick search on the web ...its apparent that underwater drones are still in their infancy stages...not much to choose from..most are tethered on a wire ...and all were overpriced...
I should be used to this by now....the store never has exactly what I want..
I can cannibalize a good aerial drone for most of the electronics.
I found a large fiberglass stingray online that I could use for a mold to make the body.
I'd really like this to be dual purpose ...to operate wireless and transmit realtime pics and data..as well as being able to plug it in to a large vacuum hose for sand removal.
I don't own a drone or know how to build one...Yet.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the aerial drone electronics will be useless underwater, you go tethered or autonomous with IRS instead of GPS.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
the aerial drone electronics will be useless underwater, you go tethered or autonomous with IRS instead of GPS.

What does the Internal Revenue Service have to do with drones?

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blue Robotics offers a complete GPS developers kit for underwater drones..
I'm still researching all the components I'm gonna need...
The first one will probably cost $10k or more ...?
My BBQ cost me right at $25k in parts...but its a nice tool...

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
UL, I can promise you anything underwater in the surf zone better be tethered really tight in/ out, left/ right and of course up/down.

The surge is colossal as you probable know, so think more about securing something than free floating it.

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that the sea can whip up one heck of a blender along the shoreline.. waves coming in..riptides going out ..all at the same time..
In that harsh environment I'm sure a tether will be required.. at least until I'm sure of my manta's capabilities..

I can perceive a market for a metal detecting ...sand digging ...remote controlled ..free swimming manta or stingray..
Ordinary people are spending close to $3K for a CTX 3030 without blinking an eye.... so I'm sure if they could buy a drone that they could set in the water and have it run a preprogrammed grid...feeding live video ..as well as graphing any potential targets..it would sell pretty well...
In coming up with a design..I'd like it to be versatile... Something that can swim and hunt on its own in calmer waters ....and be tethered along with a vacuum hose for heavy work close to the shore..
The more I think about it....it may take something that looks like a Horseshoe Crab and weigh about 1200 lbs to bull its way in the heavy surf ?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that last part obout the horseshoe crab !!

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Thinking more like "a big damn plastic bubble" drag it out, fill it with water the the surf rolls over and around. Can't be that hatd

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something this size would be manageable in the surfzone..

Attachments

• 1499504605626.jpg
    1499504605626.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 85

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread