OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a giant horseshoe crab might be workable...
The more I look at video of heavy surf ...I'm not seeing any weaknesses in its brute strength and its ability to shift on a dime..
If you made a 20ft long horseshoe crab shell ..and mounted it on a skid steer (like a bobcat) ..you could drive it into the surf and lower it in the desired place..
If you put foot long stakes around the edges that dug into the seabed when you lowered the canopy (shell)...it might be stable enough for 2 divers to work inside of it ..safe from the elements..
The weight of the skidsteer along with the spikes digging in when its lowered into place might be enough to provide a safe work area ?

Attachments

• 1499507631239.jpg
    1499507631239.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a clip of the surf at Zuytdorp ...
That place has all the elements.. coral..blow holes..heavy surf..
It looks like a nearly impossible place to explore...
With all the coral and blow holes...I'm guessing that much of anything worth recovering would have been deposited deep in the surrounding blow holes ...or gotten lodged into the coral reef....in either case ...even knowing the location of the lost treasures would do you little good....unless there were a few calm days in the year...
I would tether to a boat and work the outer edges of the reef looking for anything that got sucked back into the sea...

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There are silver guilders cemented to the sea bed, you can pry them loose with a screw driver but only if your arms and legs did not get broken in the surf at the bottom of the cliffs like previous divers on expeditions.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are silver guilders cemented to the sea bed, you can pry them loose with a screw driver but only if your arms and legs did not get broken in the surf at the bottom of the cliffs like previous divers on expeditions.

Sounds like a job for the horse shoe crab 3000 GT. !! Scurrieng along the bottom prying guilders off the bottom. Once its little crab belly is filled with guilders it auto returns back to its charging dock. Unload the loot and toss it back in the surf when its charged. Need about 10 of them about the size of my case that holds my cordless drill. Each one fills with a couple dozen coins and comes home. I could sit on the beach and work on the tan, and drink beer while my crab army gets the coins off the 1715 fleet. Hurry urban I need one of these drones.

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since climbing into the water to retrieve the silver is not a good option..

Maybe you could string a cable lengthwise in the surfzone ....
Once it was secured on both ends...string and pull an extra tall minnow seine net the length of the cable...you want the net to be sagging as it dances in the water...
Set off a few well placed charges to loosen the silver and let the currents sent them into the nets..
Then...pull in the nets...
The reef won't get damaged... I don't think ..?

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I've come up with something that will stabilize my Manta in all but the worst surfzones ...
If I install a heavy spinning flywheel that is as large as the bottom of the Manta ...the inertia and momentum should keep it flat to the seabed..
Kinda like a spinning top ...a gyroscope..
I'm going to need the extra weight anyway ..just need a strong dc motor to get it spinning... once its up to speed it shouldn't take much power to maintain it if its heavy enough and balanced right..
Perpetual motion would be nice.....but that's another story..

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is kinda what I'm looking at...perhaps a little thinner with a larger hole in the middle..
I need a large enough opening to accommodate the vacuum hose for removing sand..
The mount for the vacuum hose would also accept a plug in vacuum with a mesh recovery bag for use when using untethered in calmer waters..
I think that a stingray may ultimately be the design I use...the tail will make a good antenna... The plug in vacuum with a bag would resemble an octopus body to blend in with its surroundings...
I just hope a shark doesn't confuse it for lunch....

Attachments

• 1499594772852.jpg
    1499594772852.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 60

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I've come up with something that will stabilize my Manta in all but the worst surfzones ...
If I install a heavy spinning flywheel that is as large as the bottom of the Manta ...the inertia and momentum should keep it flat to the seabed..
Kinda like a spinning top ...a gyroscope..
I'm going to need the extra weight anyway ..just need a strong dc motor to get it spinning... once its up to speed it shouldn't take much power to maintain it if its heavy enough and balanced right..
Perpetual motion would be nice.....but that's another story..

UL... What we need is what you see in the video clip and no need to worry about stealth as no one would mess with us. LOL!!

Here the Enterprise is rising from the ocean with tons of Spanish Gold and Silver. Oh yeah, those are Florida Archaeologists dressed up in their' leftest garb and paint watching.

Frank

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the transporter and teleport me some treasure please !!!

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all those dilithium crystals...who needs gold ???

Now.....back to the ragdoll..

By machining a fan along the inside of the flywheel I can get my vacuum and propulsion.. and as a bonus.. the faster I can get it to spin..the more centrifugal force it will have which will make it more stable in the currents..
Physics is fun....

Attachments

• 1499631929415.jpg
    1499631929415.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 155
OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.....that's all the components for my new underwater drone..
I've got a good idea kinda what it'll cost....
Now I just have to find the time and the money to get my drone off paper and into the water..
Thanx for the input....

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I position 4 water jets to spray downward just outside the vacuum hose opening on the belly of my Manta...
I should be able to remove sand more quickly and keep my hole size to a minimum... allowing me to make a nice and deep circular hole...with all the activity confined below the Manta the waters should remain relatively clear as well
Armed with a camera and a few pinpoiters under the belly ...it should take some of the guesswork out of it..
I keep musing with the idea of a directional Bang Stik to scare off a nosy shark or to dislodge something from the seafloor ?

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good concept can spawn many inventions..

If I mounted a smaller version of the Manta ray on a traditional metal detector frame..
Gave it a battery powered vacuum and water jets and one good pinpointer ...
It might replace the underwater digging tools.
All the vacuumed sand would be screened and discharged thru a hose to keep the target area from getting clouded up.
Once you find a target with your detector..hold the vacuum down on the spot and turn it on..
Run the vacuum till you see something in the clear tube with the screen in it..
Who knows..it might work ..?

OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Houston.....We have a problem....

Finally getting around to seeing what is available and what secrets I might be able to use on my project..
Wireless ...aka..untethered... is a real problem.
It appears that WiFi doesn't penetrate water very well..5 ft at best...
The only way to use wireless is to tether a floated antenna to the surface..
Floating anything in the surfzone is asking for problems...
VLF ...very low frequencies will penetrate water but you have to have a super long antenna... not an option.
I'm gonna chew on this for awhile ...perhaps putting an antenna under the water may make a difference ?
This can't be that tough....

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey urban I just saw a thread called" manta pi " its a pulse induction detector for the beach. It was developed by the french. Its not a drone but I thought it was pretty coincidental that there was a machine for the beach and surf called the manta.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx for info Ropesfish ...I'll get a copy of the book.
There are a few kits available that would be good candidates to build my Manta on..
Im going to do my best to give my drone wireless capabilities so that it can boldly go where no man...or drone ..has gone before.
By asking the right questions to the right people ....I'll get the right answers..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread