Is Odyssey Marine Columbia's "investor" for the San Jose revovery?

Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks...

The information is long overdue if we stuck with the original deadline Colombia stated....what is taking so long?

According to Colombian law, when an APP (Association Public Private) is created, like in the case of the San Jose recovery, the government has the option (and the obligation) to open the process to other companies that could provide a better proposal. The Originator then can match that better proposal (and in the case of historical shipwrecks better that does not mean necessarily a lesser split, but other considerations, like for example the strength of the academic and underwater archaeology team, etc). We are in the middle of that process. It will take another 45 days to complete, after which the government will close the process and sign the APP.

In the case of the San Jose, there are issues regarding the underwater archaeology plan, the conservation lab, and the museum that has to be built to host the collection of artifacts. Those issues are being negotiated and work out right now.

Technically, anybody can submit an offer to recover the San Jose galleon and keep a percentages of the items that are not considered submerge cultural patrimony of Colombia (like coins, bars, emeralds and pearls). It will not be easy though to take it away from the team that discovered the wreck site. They have the upper hand, and deservedly so.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The person who did the research, found the map and brought it to Colombia for the President, I see him in some of the videos, who is that?

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Every couple of hours, that is like watching paint dry!

Just noticed this...I was proposing the idea of having the overhead sensors 3D map the site every two hours, not spending 2 hrs mapping the site per pass. Say the ballast pile or ribs and keel site you are working is 40 ft x 80 feet - assuming clear water for 3D photogrammetry or the use of lidar/sonar-- you could use a camera height of 10 feet above the bottom, use three cameras and get a good bit of overlap. Set the cameras to fire every 5 feet, that gives you 18 shots...you should be able to image the entire area in less than 5 minutes during diver changes etc.
Other thoughts while my mind is on this....your gantry/bridge could be a truss made of PVC...maybe use a 4 lb 2 part pourable foam as a stiffener...
The mind reels...the wallet snaps shut...and back to work I go. :)

Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's going to be the deepest version of a pick and place robot ever. It will be interesting to see how that works...
re: the humanoid robot in that link- I do not see any advantage to going to the trouble of packaging the bot in humanoid form, although having arms articulated in a similar manner to a human would make training operators a lot easier.
Although I have presently have no somewhat intact wreck to use it on, I've been toying with the idea of a similar 3D imaging setup for a wreck site, with stainless or aluminum pipe rails on two sides of the site and a flexible sliding gantry- similar to a CNC router setup- where a 3D camera traverses the wreck site every couple of hours and records every change made to the site. In poor visibility locations, a sonar unit could be used to produce similar results.. Accompanying that would be a GoPro on each corner recording the work day.

Ropefish, I would be interested in talking to you about that.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
60 days for the contract timeframe should be up mid September.

Any word on what is happening?

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any word on who was selected for the recovery?

Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently, the discovery team has still the upper hand (as they should) but the APP (Association Public Private) has not been signed yet. There are other credible offers on the table.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Yes they should, why is this taking so long?

Down in the Keys right now, got here for the Cigar Drop. Will be in VI soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread