Need Expert Opinions

Rustys Mate

Apr 10, 2007
Philadelphia
Calling all professional divers:

Need opinions on if non-treasure wrecks are worth diving.

Someone said the following:

I have of list of 6 virgin wrecks in Antigua. 4 are Bristish Warships and 2 are privateers.

Non treasure wrecks are a dime a dozen, just about every professional treasure hunter has found them and doesn't bother with the salvage, because the time involved and the cost isn't worth the effort.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Rustys Mate said:
Non treasure wrecks are a dime a dozen, just about every professional treasure hunter has found them and doesn't bother with the salvage, because the time involved and the cost isn't worth the effort.

Hi RM. Sounds like you answered your own question from a financial view. But bringing up history has more intrinsic value than gold or silver. If someone is willing to part with their money and bring historical value to light, then it would be worth it indeed.

OP
OP
Rustys Mate

Rustys Mate

Apr 10, 2007
Philadelphia
Well, I am in a debate with many people. I am hoping for opinions from everyone here at T-Net that dives. I consider you all to be experts.

Some people are saying that Historical, non-treasure wrecks are of great monetary value. Some are saying it is not worth the time and expense.

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Possibilities for cold cash from "non-treasure" ships:

1. Many ships carried their own payroll.
2. Unladen merchant ships had money to buy the next cargo.
3. A bronze cannon is worth a minimum of $5000.

Chip V.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say that yes! Recovering some items from non-treasure / non-historic wrecks can be profitable. Its not always about the gold and silver. However, that is always good as well

Tom

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I think Rusty's Mate left out one important point in her question. I think most of us agree that artifacts of Historical importance are valuable to the collector.

I think her question should have been. Is it profitable for a publicly traded pink sheet company to go after non treasure wrecks, if their company is a treasure hunting company???

I told her that when you are spending over 1.5 million dollars of investors money, artifacts are not going to pay the bills or make the stock price go up. Especially when the company is diluting the H-ll out of the stock to pay for the salvage. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old Man, I agree with you totally if you're talking about investors. If you're talking about philanthropists, then it may be another story. Seems they're harder to find, though.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I think the same can be applied anywhere.
The HI property for example.
It would be great to recover some gold and silver amd maybe a few cannons. But to me it is just as importaint if we were recover a few artifacts or even a few wood items that would help in dating this location.
BUT I feel that there IS more to this site than meets the eye.
To me it would be a terrible thing to pass this opportunity because someone might think that I am a NUT case-even thought I agree that I may be ;D.
I hope to prove my case in the very near future.
Peg leg

Batavia

Jul 29, 2006
Paris/Jakarta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,

One should be considering that any new wreck found is a treasure in itself. There are several other ways to make a project possibly profitable, by associating yourself with a team of underwater archaeologists, photographers etc... publishing your discoveries and making a documentary on it, for example.

If this doesn't pay the money you are expecting, then at least you have shown to others (including future investors) what you can do and they could join you after on a more commercially viable wreck site.

The world is shrinking rapidly for "treasure hunters" and protection from archaeological authorithies (sometimes over protection) prevails in most countries. Things are evoluting and it is good in a way... 30 years ago only, everybody could do almost anything without proper rules or leads. Mentalities are rapidly changing now.

Shipwreck research and salvage is most probably one of the last real adventure on earth, and one has to adapt to the situation. If we want to continue what we love to do, let's change our way of thinking and get profit on another basis when it is possible.

The "big treasure hit" only happens to a few and most of the times with a lot of money involved... and problems too. The latest example of Odyssey shows us that controversy builds up with wrong behaviour or attitude. Odyssey might have hit the big one, but a lot of people are complaining... We still don't know what will be the end of this story.

That is only a few personal thoughts...

Attachments

• Bangka01 011 - Copie.jpg
    Bangka01 011 - Copie.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 552

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Darren in NC said:
Rustys Mate said:

Hi RM. Sounds like you answered your own question from a financial view. But bringing up history has more intrinsic value than gold or silver. If someone is willing to part with their money and bring historical value to light, then it would be worth it indeed.

Darren's comments summarize my feeings. Good job man! History outweighs all the silver and gold in the world...in my opinion. Uncover it and document everything. I am not even an archaeologist (yet). Just a lowly aerospace engineer. If some of the folks interested only in profitable wrecks will send me coordinates on lesser finds I will go after at my own expense.

Rusty and Mate will be welcome as paid participants on my team if I decide to pursue. Great meeting you guys.

Stan Dilcher

OP
OP
Rustys Mate

Rustys Mate

Apr 10, 2007
Philadelphia
Stan, it was great meeting you also. Old Man knows of a privateer with cannons and pottery near Antigua.

Deep blue is in the Dominican salvaging the Scipion. They are bringing up gold plated regimen buttons, pure silver forks and spoons, cannons, cannon balls, belt buckles, dishes, wine bottles, copper spikes, a bronze telescope in perfect condition believed to have been the Captains, and over 3000 encrusted objects that went to the conservatory to be identified, tagged, and valued.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Rusty's mate, You should have worded your question a little differently. Most of us feel that Historical Artifacts are well worth salvaging.

The part that you left out is that Deep Blue Marine ( DPBM) a publicly traded company is telling their investors that the Scipion a French Warship that sunk in the Dominican Republic ,is worth between $50 million and $300 Million dollars. The company is telling their investors that, based on the historical artifacts on the 1780's wreck. Personally, I think the company is full of hot air putting a figure like that on cannons and buttons.

Any one else want to comment on the value of the artifacts on this wreck ???

privateer

Dec 4, 2006
Paquiwock
Detector(s) used
6 senses
There are many wrecks that have plenty of treasure on them-may not be piles of gold or silver but many things worth their weight in gold or silver-bringing up items that have been buried for hundreds of years and holding it in your hands-and your the first person to see and hold it since it lost to the world is a great feeling-we have just located a new wood wreck.have not found anything yet, but with any wreck you never know till you dig around.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
privateer said:
There are many wrecks that have plenty of treasure on them-may not be piles of gold or silver but many things worth their weight in gold or silver-bringing up items that have been buried for hundreds of years and holding it in your hands-and your the first person to see and hold it since it lost to the world is a great feeling-we have just located a new wood wreck.have not found anything yet, but with any wreck you never know till you dig around.

That's the spirit I like. The personal excitement of bringing up archaeology and trying to piece together a story means more to me than those going only after precious metals. History probably means more to me than coinage or bullion. However, I bet the two can go hand in hand. ;D

Best Regards,
Stan Dilcher

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Ole Grubstake said:
I ditto Stans thoughts. One of my sites is only a historic site and there was no gold, jewels, or precious cargo. The Historical artifacts are worth the venture in and of themselves.
Grubby

Yup, that's the gold for us Grubstake since other people seem to pass on over the "worthless" wrecks. Gold hunters: pass on your unprobable virgin GPS coordinates. If we find anything of intrinsic value I wouldn't mind sharing the wealth.

Stan Dilcher

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Rustys Mate said:
Stan, it was great meeting you also. Old Man knows of a privateer with cannons and pottery near Antigua.

Deep blue is in the Dominican salvaging the Scipion. They are bringing up gold plated regimen buttons, pure silver forks and spoons, cannons, cannon balls, belt buckles, dishes, wine bottles, copper spikes, a bronze telescope in perfect condition believed to have been the Captains, and over 3000 encrusted objects that went to the conservatory to be identified, tagged, and valued.

Interesting finds, I would probably consider donating that kind of stuff (like the bronze tellescope) to a maritime museum for all to see. Keep me informed with what you hear of their progress...

Regards,
Stan Dilcher

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
NC Brad said:
Just ask Wilf, he'll tell ya.

In all seriousness, yes there is some limited monetary value in the type of wrecks you mention. However, by the time you spend the money to properly document, recover, and conserve them your probably going to be in the red, especially if you have to travel all the way across the Caribbean to get to the site. Is it 50 to 300 million dollars, I don't think so. Sooner or later he is going to be hauled in front of the SEC.

Well, he may have plenty of budget and this is what he wants to do. To each his own. I think your cost estimate is excessive for a well planed expedition though.

Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread