Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
WOW! I did not know they got that big. I had to miss the open this year. I'm in Roatan, Honduras right now with Aquanut. :headbang:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Salvor6,
If you happen to get over to the Posada del Sol Resort on Guanaja and meet either George, the owner, or Mike, his son, please say 'hello' for me.
Don ('R/V Explorer'--registration: Roatan, Honduras).

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks,
Don......
PS: George Cundiff was a great story teller. He suggested we search two areas:(1) south of Cayo Cachino Grande;and between there and Utila. We search 'the hogs' and found, amoung other goodies, a complete set of English brass nesting weights (including the smallest-cap-piece).. Also near Cachino Grande we found a hugh anchor. The locals on Grande (dive shop) did not know about the anchor so we traded its location for a lobster lunch for my crew. George also suggested that we troll the area between Cachino Grande to Utila; he had heard that another (treasure?) vessel had sunk somewhere along the path from Trijillo to Utila, past the Cachinos. Instead, we went to Islas del Cisne and Little Swan islands for more adventure.
As they say.......Happy Hunting.
I'm envious of what you may be doing.
Don......

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don, Pacific Geographic did a mag survey of Cayo Chaino in 2003. We have that survey and are going there after the storm passes. There are three wrecks there.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Was Pacific Geo. still controlled at that time by the Long Beach dentist looking for the "1605s"?
A possible caution: When we were south of 'the hogs', the current was rapid and required extra weight to stay on the bottom. One diver went bouyant and drifted quickly towards Trijillo but snagged by an alert crewman who threw the lifeline. We then attached a lifeline aft to snag any other divers who might get caught in the current but not observed (or heard) by the crew.
Don......

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Don, yes PG was controlled by the dentist at that time. The 1605 fleet is nowhere near there. Thanks for the good advice. We are all ex navy seals. :laughing7:

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Don, yes PG was controlled by the dentist at that time. The 1605 fleet is nowhere near there. Thanks for the good advice. We are all ex navy seals. :laughing7:

Good luck down there Salvor6! How is the weather? I'm in Bogota right now. I just confirmed that PGS permit for 1605 was finally denied 30 days ago, right after Webber's. A guy by the name of Mendoza seems to be the contact person for the company but I do not know who is behind him or it. Does anybody?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Don, we are going to Guanaha tomorrow to check out a wreck. I will look up George. Do you have any sites we could check out there? Send me a PM. Thanks.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Salvor 6,

The one area I wanted to check out was outside the hook of Trujillo bay--going east--from Puerto Castilla down to the Trujillo Beach Eco Resort. I had heard of wrecks along that coast but could never confirm any were part of the Honduran Fleet of galleons. If you get into that area, stop in at the Bahia Bar on the waterfront at the Trujillo airport (if it's still there); my 'base of ops' during my 'research' in that area.
Don.....

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170822_073438.jpg ive caught several very large warsaw groupers over the years. The largest was 522 pounds. This one was 306 and I caught it 10 years ago on rod and reel. This picture still gets a lot of attention and hangs in several restaurants here in the keys. We have a slang term for these fish, (broom tail) because there tails look like a broom. The dorsal spine is huge on this species and can be very dangerous on these fish. Thats me in the upper right.

Attachments

• 20170820_102718.jpg
    20170820_102718.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 63
Jul 16, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck down there Salvor6! How is the weather? I'm in Bogota right now. I just confirmed that PGS permit for 1605 was finally denied 30 days ago, right after Webber's. A guy by the name of Mendoza seems to be the contact person for the company but I do not know who is behind him or it. Does anybody?

Thanks Don. I'll follow up on this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions