OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information, guys.

I discovered that Federal National Seashore jurisdiction extends 1 mile from mean low water in my area of interest. That's WAY too far out as far as likely shipwreck depth. Too bad...just for example, clumps of late 18th century Spanish coins were found on the beach in the vicinity of Navarre, Fl after the major hurricane of 1906.

santa rosa 1.png santa rosa 2.png

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The state says It's nine miles on the Gulf side.

Why would the State of Florida differ from what is shown on the NPS Map? They should have nothing to do with or any control over the National Seashore. Seems like they are trying to BS someone such as Salvors and/or everyone to keep everything out of private and public hands!

Frank

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Why would the State of Florida differ from what is shown on the NPS Map? They should have nothing to do with or any control over the National Seashore. Seems like they are trying to BS someone such as Salvors and/or everyone to keep everything out of private and public hands!
Frank

The state claims it owns the waters up to 9 miles out on the Gulf side and 3 miles out on the East coast (Atlantic) side. Of course, the reason began with Mel Fisher winning his battle in the Supreme Court. All the self serving state did was change the rules. This has little to do with the National Seashores, which, by the way, has it's own BS rules.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The state claims it owns the waters up to 9 miles out on the Gulf side and 3 miles out on the East coast (Atlantic) side. Of course, the reason began with Mel Fisher winning his battle in the Supreme Court. All the self serving state did was change the rules. This has little to do with the National Seashores, which, by the way, has it's own BS rules.

I here ya! Why can't or should I say why doesn't everyone with interests with what might be on or under the sea floor of the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico take the State of Florida and other States if needed to Court over such a wide range of territorial waters and get the Courts to set a boundary of say 3 miles not matter which coast it is on? I understand that some would not want to risk extending the limit on the Florida East coast to 4 miles or further but if they could get a ruling where everything was set at 3 miles, it would be a major bonus to all Salvor and Salvage companies and likely others with interests.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread