SCARCE 1774 HISTORY OF THE BUCANIERS OF AMERICA: BUCCANEERS, PIRATES, FREE-BOOTERS

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic info. As a printer I had no idea the history of these fonts & when they were used. Very educational!

Ditlihi, syntactic punctuation was first introduced into the English language by Ben Jonson, who signed his name "Ben:Johnson". He published the book that Phipps would have likely learned from, called "English Grammar", written in 1617, and published in 1640. The colon was then known as the "pause" or "two pricks". It was common for educated men to use it in their signatures in the mid 17th century to 18th century.

OP
OP
Ditlihi

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, thank you Signal, for the education. I was able to eventually find examples exactly as you have stated.

Wonderful information that confirms both the inscription on the books, and the letter, were of the same time period and most likely by one with an education. :icon_thumright:

Many thanks for your help. :notworthy:

c1_classis.jpg

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ya know...this entire thread is a SHINING example...of what and why...T'Net is such a wonderful place. I'm thrilled by the depth of knowledge and various examples of expertise that have just "appeared" as if by magic when a subject or question is brought forward for the general population.

And most of all...the professional courtesy and civility shown is EXACTLY the kind of interaction that foster's cooperation and respect for the people and content of T'net

Well done to all!!

ag

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can a scan/pdf be requested from them (Plymouth and West Devon Record Office)? They provide an email add (and ph#).

Yes I requested the scan already, I'll post if there is any response.

OP
OP
Ditlihi

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, many thanks to everyone for all your generosity in helping me solve this mystery! I am humbled and very much appreciative of all your time and effort, not to mention expertise. Kudos to you all! :notworthy:

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just an update, Trisha White of Plymouth West Devon Record Office responded that they do not have the staff to answer requests from the public. Anyone know someone in Plymouth (UK)?

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, with all of the guessing going on, did anyone consider contacting the seller, a rare book dealer, and ask about the signature? :BangHead:

OP
OP
Ditlihi

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Seeker. This same rare book dealer had no idea, and considered the signature to be a detriment to the book's value. Go figure.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, all of the book experts, whos job it is to get the best value for books, they find the signature has no value after this has been around for of 240 years. Yet, their expert opinion is of no value, yet a bunch of 'experts' on TNET who are guessing has value?

Let me just throw a date out there....

Say...1686?

one of the better expert opinions, the book is published in 1744, yet this 'expert' claims 1686!

brilliant!

I think you should go with that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditlihi

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, all of the book experts, whos job it is to get the best value for books, they find the signature has no value after this has been around for of 240 years. Yet, their expert opinion is of no value, yet a bunch of 'experts' on TNET who are guessing has value?

one of the better expert opinions, the book is published in 1744, yet this 'expert' claims 1686!

brilliant!

I think you should go with that.

Thanks for your opinion, Seeker, but I've moved on. Have a good'un! :icon_thumright:

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Seeker...may wanna dig alittle deeper..or in this case..a little farther BACK...as to dates. Hint...The French Edition.

And I have never proclaimed myself in anyway some type of "Expert".

See post#3

Unless I miss my guess...thats Alexandre Exquemelin's "History of the Buccaneers of America".

It was first published in Dutch (1678), then translated into German (1679), Spanish (1681) and English (1684).

You may have something here....jmo.

Ag

For a comparison of the 1678 Dutch edition and the 1686 French translation, see the 1974 translation and interpretation by the Danish author and historian Erik Kjærsgaard.[3] For a contemporary reprinting, see Esquemeling, Alexander O., The Buccaneers of America. A true account of the most remarkable assaults committed of late years upon the coasts of West Indies by the Buccaneers of Jamaica and Tortuga (both English and French), containing also Basil Ringrose’s account of the dangerous voyage and bold assaults of Captain Bartholomew Sharp and others

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditlihi

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeker...may wanna dig alittle deeper..or in this case..a little farther BACK...as to dates. Hint...The French Edition.

And I have never proclaimed myself in anyway some type of "Expert".

See post#3

Unless I miss my guess...thats Alexandre Exquemelin's "History of the Buccaneers of America".

It was first published in Dutch (1678), then translated into German (1679), Spanish (1681) and English (1684).

You may have something here....jmo.

Ag

For a comparison of the 1678 Dutch edition and the 1686 French translation, see the 1974 translation and interpretation by the Danish author and historian Erik Kjærsgaard.[3] For a contemporary reprinting, see Esquemeling, Alexander O., The Buccaneers of America. A true account of the most remarkable assaults committed of late years upon the coasts of West Indies by the Buccaneers of Jamaica and Tortuga (both English and French), containing also Basil Ringrose’s account of the dangerous voyage and bold assaults of Captain Bartholomew Sharp and others

Exactly, thank you. And though that same bookseller's description states " PAGES ARE WITHOUT MARKS EXCEPT FOR PREVIOUS OWNER INSCRIPTION TO UPPER MARGIN OF TITLE PAGE ", she obviously overlooked this....

IMG_20170916_013933.jpg

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, thank you. And though that same bookseller's description states " PAGES ARE WITHOUT MARKS EXCEPT FOR PREVIOUS OWNER INSCRIPTION TO UPPER MARGIN OF TITLE PAGE ", she obviously overlooked this....

Where is the image of the PENCIL writing in the book from? (the sellers images, correct?) So how did the seller of rare books miss this?
The pencil mark is not included as it is not relevant to the value or historical value of the book. It is also easily removed, not affecting value. Notice the pencil 1744 on the first page is also not referenced. Perhaps "By Ringrose" is in JFK's handwriting?

Why would you have to guess? That IS the books title. It is also the 5th edition, printed in 1744.
Part II was added and was written by Ringrose. It is all there in the description.

This book has been sold several times in the past, with none of the rare book sellers giving any value to the inked signature on the first page.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread