Hurricane IRMA check in thread

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, she's a slow mover...
I hope everyone who either stayed or went, are safe and sound. Gonna be a long day at my church tomorrow...Church of la playa Santo de Corrigans. Will you out here? lol

That's my spot.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A hurricane of this size won't be effected by a high altitude jet stream. But a large high pressure system (Harvey) or low pressure trough will determine its direction at ground level.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, she's a slow mover...
I hope everyone who either stayed or went, are safe and sound. Gonna be a long day at my church tomorrow...Church of la playa Santo de Corrigans. Will you out here? lol

Spot tornado warnings now in Sebastian, Micco, Barefoot Bay. Would be embarrassing to get lifted off the Sebastian high rise bridge, it's a long way down. See you Monday am. Save me some.

ps, don't go in my spot

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Full on rage right now. To dangerous to stick my head outside the bunker. Herd a very large crash about an hour ago. All kinds of stuff hitting the house. Pretty incredible. Don't know wind speed but must be steady 60 or 70. I fear the worse for my house that's a block away. Still to dark out to see what the hell is happening. Could be in the hundreds. We are in the meat grinder. Just a steady roar right now with an occasional crash or thump mixed in. Hope keys hunter and islamoradamark are ok down south. All this and we still have power, although it is flickering. Glad I'm here and not my house.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm ready.

Salvor6.JPG

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My heart is breaking for my neighborhood. It's hard to watch in real time. My hose must be crushed. Everything is breaking up around us. We're safe but it's hard to watch. There will be tremendous damage up and down the keys. Brace yourselves folks.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in a mandatory evacuation zone, 1/4 mile from the Caloosahatchie River....Special needs shelters for my immobile father in law are not an option, not for the duration of the storm...he needs 24 hr medical care, so we had him admitted to Lee Memorial Hospital
So I got my cool, calm, and collected wife supervising the excitement of 5 dogs, 6 cats, and 2 chickens.....
I've got my papers, life needs, and minimal essentials at immediate access.
Max worst of the storm will be around noon, lasting about 6-8 hours.
After that, storm surge threat overnight into early Monday..... I got my ladder in the house, ready for vertical evacuation to the roof.
This might suck worse than I can imagine...
My house is old school Mediterranean style stucco home, solid 1925 construction, with new roof up to code, and new hurricane impact windows, with steel shutters for extra security....
The good news is that we were reviewing our insurance policy, and while I don't have flood insurance, I was happy to learn that we are covered for volcanic eruptions, so that's comforting.

Urban Legend

Jun 24, 2017
Tampa Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My heart is breaking for my neighborhood. It's hard to watch in real time. My hose must be crushed. Everything is breaking up around us. We're safe but it's hard to watch. There will be tremendous damage up and down the keys. Brace yourselves folks.

Hang in there...
The slow movement is worry some....
We're expecting about 8 hrs of heavy duty winds in the Tampa area.....coming in during the overnight hours..
If the storm shifts a bit more to the west...there'll be about 12ft of surge in upper Tampa Bay...
I've got a new Stihl chansaw...and plenty of gas and beer.....and food too...
I hope its not needed....

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

I'm PRAYING FOR ALL OF YOU! I hope you,family,friends,pets,homes, businesses and Everything pulls through this. Your lives are the most important...the rest can be replaced. After seeing the Oklahoma City/Moore,OK and Joplin,MO Tornado's I can only imagine what you are going through. Prayers Your Way! Keep us posted as you can.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
thank god the wife and I have both house and FLOOD insurance ...once you finally own your home at last can you really afford to risk everything by not having them? the good news (at least for us ) is it took a west coast track --so cat 1 winds and 8 inches of rain are expectted with loss of power for a few days due to falling trees and possible tornados

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am watching the current tracking news. I think the warm air rising from the gulf waters is going to "suck" Irma out into open water before it heads north, and then it could head towards any place from Texas to ALA. Hope it's not Texas again.

That's not the way it works Bob. It's the upper atmosphere steering currents that determins the tract.

A hurricane of this size won't be effected by a high altitude jet stream. But a large high pressure system (Harvey) or low pressure trough will determine its direction at ground level.

Pete...You are right, mainly the 850mb, 700mb and 500mb (mb = millibars) charts (Analysis and Forecast) give you an indication of where a Hurricane is going to go. However, sometimes with stronger storms such as Irma, most everything down to (actually up to) 100mb has to be taken into account. The problem with using any of the charts and data is the unknown factors that suddenly develop such as low pressure centers, tropical waves, high pressure ridges, erratic movement of fronts, unexpected Thunderstorm complexes that sometimes seem to develop out of no where or even the Hurricane itself which can create it's own large Mesoscale Environment due to it's sheer strength. The latter are the ones we really worry about or should I say, myself and others worried about when I worked at the National Weather Service Office in Key West as they pretty much can and will often move any direction they want.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Word has it as of earlier this afternoon, Sadds and wife all good...power outages, but safe.

TY Darren in Trinidad for relaying that news.

ag

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Word has it as of earlier this afternoon, Sadds and wife all good...power outages, but safe.

TY Darren in Trinidad for relaying that news.

ag

I am sure glad of that! Has anyone heard from BVI Hunter? They took much of the brunt of the storm before it hit Cuba and am worried. Hopefully he and his evacuated to somewhere stateside or Europe or even South America.

Frank

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As hurricanes go, this one sucks as bad as the last one and the next one.
We''re OK...lights flickering, cable and internet are dead, I am using the hotspot on my phone to communicate.
Wind has to be gusting 90-100 kts. Only minimal damage so far to the house and surrounds. Some of my neighbor's house landed in the yard earlier.
Prayers for our friends in the Bahamas and Caribbean as well as da Keys and the rest of our home state.
This should make for some construction work, so maybe we should look at it as a jobs program.
We'll be available for salvage and towing within 30 miles of Sebastian if anyone needs something done. Fair rates and honest hours as always.
Ya'll take care....more tomorrow!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The eye is passing my house right now. Not bad. I still have power! Very little rain and not much damage....lost my fence.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Current report has Irma move slightly to the east, going up the center, and by 6:00AM will give Ocala 74mph wind and rain.
Reports of the north flowing St Johns River rising at Astor and may overflow its banks.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Power finally went out but that's OK, I have my inverter. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread