Wreck site maps of famouis wrecks ??

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Could someone help me to find detailed wreck site maps (archaeological sketches) of the famous known wrecks like atocha, maravillas etc ?
I spent hours with searcing but without any success.... even on the "best" mel fishers archive is not one single map to find...

Btw: what sense makes it for researchers to put hundrets of artifacts on the net but no one shows any maps of the hull or the entire site were the objects were found and marked with numbers? :BangHead:

Thanks in advance!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Duncan Mathewson has written several books on the Atocha. They contain detailed sketches.

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Duncan Mathewson has written several books on the Atocha. They contain detailed sketches.

I have the book Treasure of the Atocha from Dunkan but there is only a sketch from the timbers wich was safed from the silver bars on top and this is not real to use to build a diorama.
I need someting better. Something with canons etc.
Also it is very expensive to order every single book from the USA just to get a right map... I payed mostly for for shipping costs and custom taxes as the books was worth.
But thanks for your answer!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tom, I think your request for archaeological sketches would yield more responses if directed to the proper authorities at the state or federal levels; those who are in charge of submerged cultural artifacts.
Don.......

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It might be somewhat hard to build a diorama of the Atocha wreck site/sites as the cannons, cannon balls, Silver & Gold coins, Silver & Gold bars, other treasures, parts from the ship as well as necessities (plates, flatware, cups, etc.) were spread over a very large area. Combine that with the widely scattered items that have been found well away from the site/sites where most of the items have been found while searching for Atocha's lost Sterncastle, then you have your work cut out for you. In other words, you would have to create a very large diorama that would encompass a large area of the Gulf of Mexico's sea floor where the finds have been found.

Frank

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
It might be somewhat hard to build a diorama of the Atocha wreck site/sites as the cannons, cannon balls, Silver & Gold coins, Silver & Gold bars, other treasures, parts from the ship as well as necessities (plates, flatware, cups, etc.) were spread over a very large area. Combine that with the widely scattered items that have been found well away from the site/sites where most of the items have been found while searching for Atocha's lost Sterncastle, then you have your work cut out for you. In other words, you would have to create a very large diorama that would encompass a large area of the Gulf of Mexico's sea floor where the finds have been found.

Frank

I know Frank!
The atocha was just an example. But is is also quite good to use if there would exist a pic from above how the 1000 silver bars was placed on the remaining wood...
To make clear what I want to do: I have coins (and a few artifacts) from all well know wrecks and from those wrecks were "nice" maps exists, I would like to make dioramas to frame them together with original pieces. I have not seen this idea yet and I think it is nice to look at a "picture" with an original coin and a framed quite authentic diorama from the wreck site. What we see again and again are framed coins with the original COA´s and this is soooooo boring....
Because I have a lot of driftwood were I can carve the woodparts from and also small scale toy canons were I can cast gipsum models from wich later get painted "old", It must be a nice authentic diorama at all.

So if someone can send me scans or pics, I would be very happy!

HEY.....! And don´t copy this idea!!! :laughing7: You see this ?! COPYRIGHT ! :laughing7::laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I know Frank!
The atocha was just an example. But is is also quite good to use if there would exist a pic from above how the 1000 silver bars was placed on the remaining wood...
To make clear what I want to do: I have coins (and a few artifacts) from all well know wrecks and from those wrecks were "nice" maps exists, I would like to make dioramas to frame them together with original pieces. I have not seen this idea yet and I think it is nice to look at a "picture" with an original coin and a framed quite authentic diorama from the wreck site. What we see again and again are framed coins with the original COA´s and this is soooooo boring....
Because I have a lot of driftwood were I can carve the woodparts from and also small scale toy canons were I can cast gipsum models from wich later get painted "old", It must be a nice authentic diorama at all.

So if someone can send me scans or pics, I would be very happy!

HEY.....! And don´t copy this idea!!! :laughing7: You see this ?! COPYRIGHT ! :laughing7::laughing7:

Yes I see that, LOL!!! I would recommend PM'ing Mike (PhipsFolly) and see if he can help as he build awesome Shipwreck Dioramas. I have included a link of Threads he posted about some of the Dioramas and one of those is a "Sticky" Thread at the top of this Forum. Maybe you two could work together on a project. If you are interested in purchasing some coins from the Atocha or Santa Margarita, just be sure they are authentic as some out there counterfeits.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/386243-1715-fleet-diorama.html

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Frank!
Don´t worry, my coins are genuine. With nearly 30 years experience with artifacts and coins it will be hard to sell me a fake. I worked a lot in authentication.
Btw, The fisher company made a big mistake with selling all this replikas... They are often offert at Ebay as genuine and also it is simply a shame and very unprofessional to melt down "bad" bars to cast new items from it, just to make more profit. This is an absolutly NO GO and than they don´t have to wonder about if they and also other treasure divers gets attackt as "terrorists" !

PS: Your link is not working. I just do a search on "Diorama"

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry about the link not working! I guess links to Advanced Searches won't work when copied and pasted into a post. I edited the link and linked it to the "1715 Fleet Diorama" Sticky Thread.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread