Torpedo DPV for moving sand, which model????

badbrains

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
surfmaster pi pro
im thinking of a tapered mailbox design to cause a venturii effect. some type of flexible hose doodad.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its a neat little toy,i have one that belongs to HRD.unfortunatly the last person that used it left fuel in the tank,have to clean it out an possibly rebuild the carb to get it running again.dont even know where to get parts.is it still being made?i thought about installing a 5cu ft o2 bottle on it to run it in deep water.its depth is limited with the snorkle.

badbrains

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
surfmaster pi pro
sure, they still make them. they are limited by the snorkel but I dont know if extra water pressure on the unit would affect its performance. Its worth a shot. If you pickle it their easy to get going again

badbrains

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
surfmaster pi pro
The pony bottle idea sounds interesting. could be a market for that one.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey firerescue, I'm going to take Fisheye's advice and build another one with 2 handles and a prop cage. I will put the motor and battery together in an aluminum housing. If you build one I suggest you do the same.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
salvor 6 said:
Hey firerescue, I'm going to take Fisheye's advice and build another one with 2 handles and a prop cage. I will put the motor and battery together in an aluminum housing. If you build one I suggest you do the same.

I agree with the handles and cage, but think the battery should be seperate. There are many different battery options besides using a lead-acid motorcycle battery. I would suggest as good reading the book on home-built dive lights from Airspeed Press (Google it up). There is a wealth of technolgy in the 4 or 5 books put out by Airspeed. The reason I recommend it as study material here is that it discusses fabrication methods, battery types, and sealing remote power in great detail.

Stan

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi guys it's me from Hawaii, I just got the Torpedo DPV and totally love it! Very strong machine but the battery only lasts so long! I got two batteries and will probably buy a couple more but the machine works so unreal! Anyone looking to purchase a DPV I would suggest getting a Torpedo! Aloha ;D

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
Have you all checked out <www.silent-submersion.com>?? For power and durability,it's great! Pricey, but it is a real tool. I used one to drag the JW Fisher Pulse8 4' loop,a great combination for "live dive" search patterns. JD

Dec 23, 2007
Jupiter, Florida USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher Proton4, pulse 10, Geometrics G-882 (yeah I know...but I've made it work for me)
I am also interested in any advances here. please keep me in the loop, I have had similar problems with collapsing walls. I'm looking for innovative solutions. I think utilizing the Venturii effect is cool and promising, though my experiences with propeller driven blow has been piss warm at best, I have to admit, I've seen a torpedo do great work, I think resulting visibility is always a factor in some sense, thats why Venturii is so appealing to me.
TJ

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finished the prototype a week ago,have begun testing and mods.I named it the"sand serpent".

culverin

Greenie
Sep 28, 2009
lower Fl. keys
Detector(s) used
excaliber II aqua mag aqua pulse
we use a trolling motor encased in a 5 gal bucket with handles and a long wire attached to the boat's batteries. we also use scooters for blowing. they are real portable but have too short a battery life. some times it takes several hours to dig a hole deep enough to find what the mag has detected with only a hand blower.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rgecy,

Cant do that yet.Its patent pending.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You look around for a 2 or 2.5 inch suction dredge with a 3.0 to 5.0 B/S engine attached to a donut tube that is mounted on a truck inner tube, go to a hardware store that fittings can be placed over the out flow on the water pump and attach a 25 to 50 foot water hose with a trigger hand water nozzle and you'll have ample water pressure to blow a hole in the sand and that's with the motor on idle. Save you hands and fingers and other important areas from sharp twirling blades and getting propelled all over the place.

Go to www.keeneengineering.com for donut tube, engine mount and parts.

bluebricktech

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2010
Have you ever thought of using a Sea Doo and rigging something up to it like a mini mailbox or a hose to take underwater? just thinking out of the box.
I've been trying to come up with different ideas for a smaller salvage team.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread