Torpedo DPV for moving sand, which model????

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi everyone wanted to get some input on Torpedo's dpv for moving sand. I am going to purchase one because I metal detect underwater and when fanning holes for the goodies it keeps caving in on me!! I am going to purchase the Torpedo brand because I have heard such good feedback about this machine. Only problem don't know which one to get, there is one that goes 2.0 mph, 2.5 mph and one that goes 3.0 mph and the batteries only last so long the stronger the push on the machine. Any input would be much appreciated!! ;D

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
makahaman,

If you can wait a few months.im developing a product that will be alot better then useing a DPV for blowing small holes in the bottom.and the batteries will last longer than you can stay underwater.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
John, sound interesting. Let me know when you are ready to test a prototype.

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Hey Fisheye can you tell us what you have instore? Will we be able to purchase this machine from you? Will it be smaller than the dpvs? I would love to see something manageable because I don't want the added attention from beach goers. Any pictures of this wonderful machine? Also, how heavy will it be? I don't know if I can wait too long! I want to find all those goodies on the ocean floor! Hope to hear from you soon!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant tell you much about it other than that i will make 2 models in 2 colors.1 will be a bright yellow an the other will be the stealth model in black or close to it.it wont be paint.it will be anodized.the unit will be able to be used with 1 hand.the battery will be remote on a belt clip.

wailinmacs

Jun 19, 2007
Boca de Ratones
Detector(s) used
excalibur
i also would be intrested. my pingpong paddles had it , my hands are beat.

Attachments

• 8-14-07.jpg
    8-14-07.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,705

privateer

Dec 4, 2006
Paquiwock
Detector(s) used
6 senses
I use the 2 and 2.5 mods.-the more thrust the harder it is to work with-i am 6-2=255lbs-you have to really brace your self-they really do dig better then any other dpv.

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
How much weight does one have to use in order to stay in place when using the DPV? How long does one battery last when making holes in the sand with this piece of equipment? I am thinking about going with the Torpedo 2.5 DPV, any last thoughts about this machine before I purchase it? Thanks you guys are the bestest! Wish I could be diving the wrecks like you guys over there!! If anyone needs help I would love to help with the search!! Aloha ;D

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all i will say is you will like my device for digging.you wont have to wear extra weights,or haveing to brace yourself.you will enjoy digging with this device.use less air too.batteries will last 1-2 hours.

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Hi Fisheye when will you have this device out? What is the time frame because I would be very interested in getting one from you but if its too far away in time then I might just get a dpv. What would be the cost of this unit? Hurry up so we can get one! Ha Ha ;D Well give us more information!

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
i have received a used torpedo 2000 and would like to know how long it should take to charge the battery. its been 8 hrs and its not charged yet. thanks, keegah

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
We've used the Torpedo since they first came out . Best out there. With the magnetic switch, they will never break down. Most of the others will get sand clogged in the switch and they will break in a couple of hours. We use the highest power one, and it does take a little getting used to, as you definitely have to brace yourself (I'm 175lbs). Pretty much bullet-proof.
Carl Frederick used to sell a unit just for sand removal, and we used that with good results also. Don't know if it's still available though.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
makahaman,

its gonna be at least 2-3 months before i have a device to sell.right now im just working on the prototype.sooo by the time your Torpedo DPV's burn out and break ill have a replacement for you all:)

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Het Maka I have a hand held blower for you. It is a trolling motor hooked up to a motorcycle battery. The battery straps to your tank with a hose clamp. The motor has 42 pounds of thrust and will run 4 hours on one charge. I have two of these units and you can have one for $300 plus shipping. Let me know.

Attachments

• DCP00625.JPG
    DCP00625.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,836
OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Hey Salvor 6 you sent me a message about this some time ago but never gave me a price. I appreciate you letting me know about your piece of equipment. I looks good but how dangerous is it? The blades on that thing looks like it could cut off your finger!! Is it dangerous to use? I am very interested in this unit please answer some of my questions to help me understand how effective and safe this unit is ect. Thanks again Salvor 6!! Aloha ;D

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes it is dangerous. You have to keep your fingers away from the blades. It is so powerful that I use a small jet ski anchor attached to my B.C. to anchor myself to the bottom while blowing. I don't think it can cut your fingers off because the blades are plastic but I would not want to find out.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plastic trolling motors will cut fingers,wont take them off but will damage them enough that the surgeons may want to amputate them.over 35 years ago i made several DPV's that had twin 15lb thrust trolling motors on them with no guards.i still have scars on my knees where when i would stop suddenly my knees would hit the props.even cut thru the knee pads on my wet suits.whats nice about my device,theres no exposed prop blades to eat fingers and other limbs.

badbrains

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
surfmaster pi pro
dont underestimate the cheaper dpvees on ebay. if your looking to just blow holes. theres a more powerful 350 watt model now. that trolling motor looks deadly

badbrains

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
surfmaster pi pro
As a matter of fact, im working on utilizing a gas powered dpv and rigging up a mailbox proportional to it. I could anchor the dpv to the bottom just like a boat with auger tent stakes. Simple shallow water setup without the hassles of boat ownership. Pack 'er up and go to the house.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pharez,

the gas powered DPV you have.does it look like these 2?

Attachments

• gaspoweredDPV.jpg
    gaspoweredDPV.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,935

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread