US pulls out of UNESCO....again.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Trump administration said Thursday it is pulling out of UNESCO, citing concerns of an "anti-Israel bias" and other problems at the United Nations cultural organization.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Israel also plans to withdraw from the agency.
The U.S. withdrawal will take place at the end of next year, the State Department said in a statement.
"This decision was not taken lightly, and reflects U.S. concerns with mounting arrears at UNESCO, the need for fundamental reform in the organization, and continuing anti-Israel bias at UNESCO," the statement said.
The State Department planned to "remain engaged" with the U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization as a non-member observer state.
The withdrawal is mostly symbolic, since it cut off funding to the organization under the Obama administration and the bills keep piling up.
The U.S. stopped funding UNESCO after it voted to include Palestine as a member in 2011.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's this got to do with shipwrecks, or anything else treasure related for that matter?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It has everything to do with shipwrecks. UNESCO wants to ban all excavations of historic shipwrecks! Read Darren's link.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good !!! About time.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, maybe I should have done some reading first. I totally stuck my foot in my mouth on that one.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe we can get Trump to institute a Portable Antiquities Scheme like Great Britain has had for some time now. Write it to cover all lands, marshes, lake and river beds and sea (ocean) floors and have the Federal Government issue the Exploration/Search and Recovery/Salvage Permits. That would take the States and especially Florida out of the equation!

Frank

bikerlawyer

Jan 9, 2008
Melbourne Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure he would, if only we could come up with about $100 mil of grease to get his attention.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure he would, if only we could come up with about $100 mil of grease to get his attention.

If 100 mil is what it takes, hell the other Party would rush it through Congress and the Senate before Trump had a chance to even consider the Bill!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The State Department planned to "remain engaged" with the U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization as a non-member observer state.

The US was not a signatory anyways.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe we can get Trump to institute a Portable Antiquities Scheme like Great Britain has had for some time now. Write it to cover all lands, marshes, lake and river beds and sea (ocean) floors and have the Federal Government issue the Exploration/Search and Recovery/Salvage Permits. That would take the States and especially Florida out of the equation!

Frank

Yup, that'll work. Will keep the ship wrecks safe from law-abiding people and allow more time for the non-law abiding folks to make a recovery plan. In their eyes, it ain't illegal until you get caught.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...Don't mind me - just feeling particularly ornery tonight! :argue:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We should pull out of the U.N. completely. Stop sending our money to people who hate us.

And start charging them rent on the building in NYC.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The US was not a signatory anyways.
It has always been illegal for the US to fund any branch of the United Nations that accepts the Palestinian Authority as a member. Unless UNESCO has kicked them out, all Trump needs to do is NOT break this law.

Check out some headlines on how Obama got around the law by giving the US funds directly.

Obama?s Palestinian Authority Bailout -- U.S. Transferred Money That May Fund Terrorism | National Review

https://www.timesofisrael.com/obama...million-aid-package-to-palestinian-authority/

Report: Obama Gave $221 Million to Palestinians in Last Hours

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread