Jun 19, 2007
Boca de Ratones
Detector(s) used
excalibur

thepirate

Dec 20, 2006
Uk
Detector(s) used
Whatever some nice pirate will loan me!!
Don't mean to be rude...but what has this to do with shipwrecks??

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I would suggest that you check the houses closest to where the material was located.
People living along the Beaches think they own the land all the way to the water and sometimes throw things onto the beach to screw up metal detectors.
Mel Fisher use to throw cut iron nails all along the beach near Sabastian and this was a fact because he paid me to do it.
Peg Leg

bucketofguts

Jul 2, 2007
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT and Garrett Seahunter mark 2. Treasure Mate pinpointerer
say it ain,t so Peg, say it ain,t so!!!!!!!!!!.

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
Well that's a good reason to have a discriminating detector! By the way, today is Mel Fisher's birthday, Happy Birthday Mel!

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I gotta agree. The last time I wuz at Ambersands, I told my wife it wasn't a Spanish galleon sunk out there, it was a garbage scow. I can't explain the huge quantity of crap there either.

E

elle

Everyone should take note of the kind contribution that treasure hunters make for the community...
ridding sites of modern debris and garbage... ;)
We all deserve an applause!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is from the pumping of the beaches. They ground up cans and anything that got in the intake. It was the same way when they shipped it in too. If you have ever used a metal detector out in the ocean, you will hit an aluminum can constantly. People throw them in the water thinking they rot away, but they last for a long time underwater. There are millions of them out there. The dredge that they use to pump the sand on the beach, pulls it from the top of the sand where the old cans live. Or die!

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Ambersand was also littered with plastic toys, bottles, condom..ents, just plain nasty trash. I agree that the "renourishment" process is just pumping junk onto our beaches, but literally??

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The whole coast is littered with junk! As you know when you look for stuff after a storm, there is all kinds of stuff on the beach. Plus any beach access anywhere, gets people that leave their crap on the beach. One of the problems is dumping at sea. Cruise ships throw over tons of garbage, or at least used to. I have seen the garbage barges getting towed out into the ocean out of New York City as recently as last year. I have seen them out at sea and lining up to get filled up near Governors Island, just across East Rivers mouth from Manhattan. Plus all the idiots that go out in a boat and throw their trash out. I was off of New Jersey heading North and there were a bunch of boats fishing near Atlantic City. Just North of them in the current, was a bunch of bait and chum cardboard boxes, about as many as there were boats out. Like none of them cared. It is amazing that you can go to an island that no one has hardly stepped foot on, many, many miles from anywhere, and there will be all kinds of bottles, and plastic stuff on shore or in the mangroves. Enough ranting for now, Steve.

OP
OP
wailinmacs

wailinmacs

Jun 19, 2007
Boca de Ratones
Detector(s) used
excalibur
first id like to say i just found the beach and shallow water page. also the rants page, i hadn't scrolled down that far till yesterday. this t-net thing is the best.action, adventure, drama, people getting banned. who needs television. now back to this post trying to pass-off as something to do with shipwreaks. the sand . the gold coast . is gone forever because of dredging. the state talks a big game when its time to make more and more laws to protect natural resources. don't walk here,don't step there, big fine for picking a seaoat. until its time to put up a condo or a parking meter then it's all for sale. this dredging thing is big business , they always do the surveys right after the worst Storm's and during high tide. by the time the equipment shows up the beach has fixed itself and looks the same as always. the sand we get sold is junk. i gets so unnaturally hot it will burn the skin off your feet. tractors have also become a problem . every day scarring up the beauty of last nights wind, rain, and tide. it's a crime against nature. sorry shipwreak people i know this don't belong here , it wont happen again. macs.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
wailinmacs, keep posting. We all rant about the sanding in of the beaches, especially the Treasure Coast beaches, and how they keep us off the beach "for our own good" after a storm! A couple years ago it was for months!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was just down at the beach south of Fort Pierce inlet and the crap they dumped there looks nothing like beach sand. With the winds we have been having lately, there was some erosion. Good news for beach hunters (maybe) but all that dirt just muddies the water offshore-reducing the viz and smothering the reef.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, I was with Tom, and there is about a 2 foot cut running between John Brooks Park and Douglas Beach Park. The cut is only into the renourished sand, but if the wind and waves keep at it, who knows.

Jason

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just north of Seagrape and about 50 yards off shore I dug a beer can from under 15" of solid worm rock. Go figure.
Deepsix

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You know what they, you gotta kiss a lot of frogs...or dig a lot of beer cans. LOL I dug 8 beer cans before finding the goosastuff yesterday...and I consider that a good day. :D :D :D

Jas

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
I watched truckload after truckload of dirt pull into Wabasso after the storms. It was not beach sand. Not dredged offshore. I dont know where they bought it. It was dirt sand.

When I was a kid, I remember Fort Lauderdale beach looked much different than it does today. It was made up completely of shell. Small pieces of shell, mostly white shell. You could clearly see that it was different from finely ground sand, and you could walk on it barefoot. The beach today looks like the dirt in my back yard! Its nasty looking. The beaches here are no longer pretty.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
ScubaFinder said:
You know what they, you gotta kiss a lot of frogs...or dig a lot of beer cans. LOL I dug 8 beer cans before finding the goosastuff yesterday...and I consider that a good day. :D :D :D

Jas
Congrats. What did you find?

OP
OP
wailinmacs

wailinmacs

Jun 19, 2007
Boca de Ratones
Detector(s) used
excalibur
i love it when the dunes erode and you see some of that original sand. boca had some beautiful yellow golden shell sand, could rival any beach in the world. I'm going to take back what i said "gone forever". never underestimate nature, if we leave it completely alone
(the beach) , it's very possible, in many years or so , it could be back the way it was meant to be. however, back to reality they are about to dredge and dump sand on red reef soon. eventhow the beach looks the same as always. they put in for the grant two years ago when the hurricanes washed the board walks away. maybe they'll pump some of that "legendary illusive boca treasure" onto the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread