Boats (and other things) washed up by hurricane Irma

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya, I watched them haul them all off about 3-4months ago. I sked several people about them and no one really wanted to get involved in trying to get titles and go through the process of gaining ownership of the few that were worth saving. Even some of the bigger salvage companies were content to watch them go. Out of sight, out of mind. Hauled off and broken up. So many broken dreams !!

That is a true shame and not unlike the boats and ships confiscated during the Mariel Sea Lift that were also destroyed. It is crazy because a Marina business that operates a Boat/Ship Repair on the side, could have purchased the salvageable ones, repaired them and either sold them or rented them out to tourists for big money.

Last edited:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If a boat has sunk in saltwater the nightmare has begun...all wiring and electrical must be replaced. If an engine/transmission is immersed in saltwater and not pickled or cleaned up and restarted within a day or two, it is worth nothing but scrap value. I can show you boats all over Florida that are too far gone to salvage...while your labor may be free, storage yard rates and parts are not. I've now done several refit/rebuilds and done cost estimates on a lot of others...there are some boats that are way overpriced if they are free.
There's a 43' Striker aluminum sportfish in a yard 3 miles from my house. Love the boat, it is all intact...it was offered to me for about $15K. I thought it might be OK...til I had a Striker expert look at it...his best estimate was $50K in parts, 15-20 sq ft of new aluminum welded into the hull and 2 YEARS of work.
Save up, buy a complete, running vessel. At least you'll have all the parts to start with...
and yes...there are exceptions to the rule, but they are few and far between...Craigslist is full of half done projects.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread