OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Friends, the cartridge case from the wreck of the Princess Maria has arrived so let´s get start again :laughing7:

Two tubes was broken off so I tried to clean them and look whats inside.

Both sides was filled with a layer of incrustations. As it is may to see on the step by step photo (first image on it) the bullet was covert with a kind of fabric to press it tight into the gun. After removing the Bullet, there was some remains of gunpowder.

Tomorrow I will post pics of the case in-situ and after removing the leather case.

Attachments

• Cattridge Case.jpg
    Cattridge Case.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Insitu.jpg
    Insitu.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Inside Tube.jpg
    Inside Tube.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 83
  • pulled out Bullet.jpg
    pulled out Bullet.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 96
  • pulled out Bullet and Powder.jpg
    pulled out Bullet and Powder.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 100

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friends, the cartridge case from the wreck of the Princess Maria has arrived so let´s get start again :laughing7:

Two tubes was broken off so I tried to clean them and look whats inside.

Both sides was filled with a layer of incrustations. As it is may to see on the step by step photo (first image on it) the bullet was covert with a kind of fabric to press it tight into the gun. After removing the Bullet, there was some remains of gunpowder.

Tomorrow I will post pics of the case in-situ and after removing the leather case.

Is that the powder charge in the last pic Tom??

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you have your work cut out Tom. Any idea on how long this project may take ?

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Is that the powder charge in the last pic Tom??

-

Yes Buddy!

I guess the brass tubes was installed in a holder. There are traces of very thin metal around the tubes. May the Bullet and charge was put together in some kind of paper for quick loading.
Nothing of the paper is left. Only traces of the fabric around the bullets.

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you have your work cut out Tom. Any idea on how long this project may take ?

-

Not as long as the iron grenade.
On this piece just the incrustations has to be removed. A reconstruction of the thin metal from the tube holder is not possible so far I can see. It is to fragmentary, deformed and thinned out from the corrosion. May I make a reconstruction out of wood or acrylic for the tubes. The leather case is completely deformed. The original shape It is in fact very flat (approx 1.5") and with round sides. The leather was preserved by my friend with some kind of oil or fat which is not easy to remove. This oil/fat has to be removed before I can clean the surface of the leather and bring it back in original shape and to sew the seams in the original way. (I did this with medieval to Tudor shes many times)

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
The leather will be soft enough to sew in the seams again ? I read up on the Princess Maria. Interesting, and then the King is accused of looting it with his Royal yacht. You never know who the Pirate is going to be.

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
The leather will be soft enough to sew in the seams again ? I read up on the Princess Maria. Interesting, and then the King is accused of looting it with his Royal yacht. You never know who the Pirate is going to be.

-

Not at the moment Buddy. Now it is very hard and breaks if you try to bent it but I will fix that problem :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

First the oil/fat will be removed, than I clean it with my special way and than it gets a PGE bath which makes the leather also a bit smoother again.

The leather is now bent and was under pressure for more than 300 years but I will get almost the original shape later.

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Great thread!

-

Thank you!

I just thought about if TreasureHunter can rename the thread into "shipwreck artifact restoration" because I will post more different type of artifacts here.
No need to open for everything a new thread :laughing7:

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are the in-situ photos of the cartridge case!

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 83
  • Backside.jpg
    Backside.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Meanwhile, here is a photo of a way too much over cleaned (as usual!) Atocha coin and how it looks now after bringing back some natural patina.

There are some more details to see now like a slight double hit on the front and on the backside the date (16)21 is now visible too which was formerly overseen by the Fishers and not mentioned in the certificate.

It is btw a nice example for the dyslexic de Tapia. He turned the P of Hispaniarum on the left side backwards and also flipped the P from Potosi upside down :laughing7:

Attachments

• Atocha Coin.jpg
    Atocha Coin.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 77

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Man that looks like a mess Tom until you realize it is 332 years old and then you go, wow, that looks good for it's age. It will be interesting to watch you work your magic on this.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job on that coin Tom, it certainly looks better with that natural patina. :notworthy:

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job on that coin Tom, it certainly looks better with that natural patina. :notworthy:

-

YUP! The Atocha coins are all over cleaned in a tumbler after electrolysis. If they would have clean it on an other way (which I don´t tell here :laughing7:) they would look much better.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job on the Grenade , Coins & GL with the cartridge case.

I look forward to viewing the results.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread