OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Some pieces where I lost the "before" pics.

Christ1.jpg 6715a-l.jpg nefer.jpg

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
why not the hair?

extremely nice work, with those abilities have you made original pieces?

This dots on the hair was all very fine curls with typical very hard encrustations and it was to expensive for the clients to let it be cleaned. The worth of the entire piece was to low to spent more money in it.

Guess I don´t understand the second part. This are all original artifacts!!

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Tom, I understand that you are showing restored antique items.
My question was, given your extensive experience, have you made original pieces of your design.

too expensive to clean the curls?
I understand nothing, cost-effectiveness in the restoration of an attractive antigue?

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom, I understand that you are showing restored antique items.
My question was, given your extensive experience, have you made original pieces of your design.

too expensive to clean the curls?
I understand nothing, cost-effectiveness in the restoration of an attractive antigue?

"made original pieces of your design" With my lack of english, I still don´t get it what you mean buddy.

YUP! Many collectors think that way! Specially if you buy such things cheap and you think about reselling it later for some reasons. Specially small Collectors don´t wanna loose money on a piece. I understand that.
He bought that head for 80 bucks, Restoration was 100 becasue this very hard encrustations on Asian pieces are a mess and if he would sell it, he would get for such a small fragment (6 cm) just 120 to 150 $.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
off topic
Tom, looking at your work causes me to question mine. I have visited museums all over for years and really enjoy art, it's expression. You obviously have restored the beauty of many artifacts.

I am compelled to ask myself, what in my life have I made of beauty? I presently make things of wood and despite the huge effort and exotic woods and slick finishes, none would make it to a museum. Clearly I need to up my game.
Thanks for the impetus.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Tom, your English is fine.

'an original piece of your design' means: you select the medium (stone, wood, metal, etc.), and you define the method, and you create the design, and you execute it

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
off topic
Tom, looking at your work causes me to question mine. I have visited museums all over for years and really enjoy art, it's expression. You obviously have restored the beauty of many artifacts.

I am compelled to ask myself, what in my life have I made of beauty? I presently make things of wood and despite the huge effort and exotic woods and slick finishes, none would make it to a museum. Clearly I need to up my game.
Thanks for the impetus.

Clearly it is nice to see the own work in museums and that other people can enjoy it but most important for me is to see all this things after cleaning them as first human being and this in almost same condition before they gone in the ground.
Can you imagine how it is if you clean as example a bronze with inlaid or engraved egyptian inscriptions and you be the first one who see them again and read and speak out what stands there? Or if you clean a real masterpiece and pick out all the fine details the artist put in thousands of years ago. That´s what drives me and why I love my job.

Please show me some of you wood works! I love wood too. nice material to work with.

OP
OP
Tom_Restorer

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom, your English is fine.

'an original piece of your design' means: you select the medium (stone, wood, metal, etc.), and you define the method, and you create the design, and you execute it

now i git it!! (I guess...) :laughing7:

No, I am not a sculptor or artist at all. When it is needed to reconstruct missing body parts on a piece, I need help from other restorers.
Normal small reconstructions etc are no problem but when it comes to body parts, I get lost. :laughing7:
I never could make a replica of a figure with my own hands.
Even with the photographic memory I have, I can not see human faces when I close my eyes. So it is not the best start to sculpture things. :laughing7:
On the other hand I can construct completely any technical thing with every single detail and measurements just in my head before I start to build them.
To be an sculptor or Artist I guess there is an other brain needed as mine :laughing7: I have the greatest respect of people who can do such work!

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
now i git it!! (I guess...) :laughing7:

No, I am not a sculptor or artist at all. When it is needed to reconstruct missing body parts on a piece, I need help from other restorers.
Normal small reconstructions etc are no problem but when it comes to body parts, I get lost. :laughing7:
I never could make a replica of a figure with my own hands.
Even with the photographic memory I have, I can not see human faces when I close my eyes. So it is not the best start to sculpture things. :laughing7:
On the other hand I can construct completely any technical thing with every single detail and measurements just in my head before I start to build them.
To be an sculptor or Artist I guess there is an other brain needed as mine :laughing7: I have the greatest respect of people who can do such work!

would like to follow several of your comments:
"a replica of a figure with my own hands" and in thinking about it I cannot remember ever having done so

"I cannot see human faces when I close my eyes" nor can I - this is referred to as visualization
I have been quite exposed to practioners of such, but was simply unable to get the concept
(Silva Mind Control)

"I can construct completely any technical thing.... in my head" as do I, my work was as an engineer

"there is another brain needed" indeed, probably several - color, sound, taste and their dynamic forms: movies, music, and food
is visualization the picturing of shapes in the head?
I can construct a face in my head but it is as if I were using bricks.

oh yes, boarding grenade

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cleaning, preservation and bringing back the color of 17th century oven tiles with depictions of Reformers like Martin Luther etc.
You do beautiful work Tom, proper restoration is a true talent. :thumbsup:
Dave

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Clearly it is nice to see the own work in museums and that other people can enjoy it but most important for me is to see all this things after cleaning them as first human being and this in almost same condition before they gone in the ground.
Can you imagine how it is if you clean as example a bronze with inlaid or engraved egyptian inscriptions and you be the first one who see them again and read and speak out what stands there? Or if you clean a real masterpiece and pick out all the fine details the artist put in thousands of years ago. That´s what drives me and why I love my job.

Please show me some of you wood works! I love wood too. nice material to work with.

That is what I always thought when I see the pics of your work. To be able to see the history unfold first, right before your eyes, would be awesome! I can see why you love your job!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread